PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 114 30-06

eka
09-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Just got a new Savage 114 American Classic in 30-06. Anybody else had one of these? It's nice, but nothing to write home about. The stock has nice grain, but the finish is just sprayed lacquer. The fore end has a painted on tip. And it looks painted on. It would have been better to just leave that off. The checkering is nicely done. The inletting seems pretty good. The blueing is fair at best. No high luster blueing as advertised. I guess I was expecting the blue job that came on my Ruger 77 from the early eighties. The accu-trigger is sweet. Nothing bad to say about that. I haven't shot it yet, but I expect good things to happen if it's like most Savages. I got a set of Leupold two piece bases with the windage adjustment. The one with the windage screws hangs out into the ejection port a little. I don't think it's going to be a huge problem, but I would probably have gone with Burris if I had it to do over again. Still a solid base and ring combo that I'm sure will work great. I'll let you know how she shoots when I get some test loads fired. I plan on doing a bedding job this winter and I'm sure that will help things too.

Keith

outdoorfan
09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I have the same gun, but I bought it 3 or 4 years ago. I like the finish on mine, and I don't think it's as bad as what you just described.