PDA

View Full Version : sprue lube

semtav
09-22-2010, 06:42 PM
How many of you serious casters depend on sprue lube?
When I first started, I needed something to keep everything from sticking, but the more I did it and got the temps right, I just quit using it and really hadn't thought about it. (that's not to say I didn't need it, I just quit thinking about it.)
In fact I hadn't even thought about it until someone local who I had given some Nasa Lube to asked if I had any Bullplate lube he could try.
And that got me to wondering if its really needed, or just a crutch for us when we are less experienced.
Thanks
Brian

excess650
09-22-2010, 07:27 PM
I've been using something almost as long as I've been casting. Beeswax, bullet lube, WD-40, LBT mold lube, graphite, and now Bull Plate. I used graphite applied by pencil to the tops of the blocks and underside of the sprue cutter to prevent lead from sticking, smearing, and prevent galling. Whe I got my first LBT mold almost 20 years ago I used some of his mold lube for the sprue plate pivot bolt. Now that I've purchased a couple of NOE molds, I tried the Bull Plate that is supplied with them, and I'll not go back to any of the other junk.

Bull Plate lubricates the sprue plate pivot, pins/sockets, and when applied to the tops of the blocks, prevents galling, smearing and sticking. I do tend to keep my sprue plates snug, but don't consider Bull Plate to be a crutch.

btroj
09-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I used no sprue lube for years. But once I tried bullpalte I would not go without it.
It lugs the alignment pins which should prolong the life of the mould. It also allows me to cut the sprue a bit sooner which makes 6 cave lee moulds much easier to use. Does it cover for some technique flaws? Maybe. But that it makes life easier is undeniable.

No bull plate? No way.

Brad

runfiverun
09-22-2010, 07:47 PM
after a bit of casting i started using some micro parrafin lube to remove and keep at bay smearing.
then i moved on to using anti-sieze before and during use with aluminum molds and naturally started using it on steel also.
i recently got some bullplate lube and tried it on an aluminum mold.
'll keep on using it.

lastborn
09-22-2010, 07:49 PM
If you ever try BULL PLATE, You will be kickin yourself for not trying it sooner. Hands down, it's great stuff.If I ever ran out, I wouldn't cast a single boolit till I had some more in hand.
Thats my .02 cents:castmine::drinks::Fire:

Doby45
09-22-2010, 07:52 PM
If I did not have my Bullplate I would feel like I was casting nekkid and that ain't good, so I ain't doing it.

jmsj
09-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I've only been casting a short while but I tried a lot of the old standbys. Once I tried Bullplate,
it made things much easier. jmsj

theperfessor
09-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Always buy two bottles of Bullplate. If you're like most of us you'll spill the first one in some creative way.

JIMinPHX
09-22-2010, 09:11 PM
At first, I used pencil lead & soapstone as sprue lube, on the advice of some old timers. I had moderate success with that. Then I tried high temp grease from the auto parts store. It worked OK, but left a residue that I had to clean off after the mold cooled down. Later, I tried adding a little never seize to the high temp grease, & that was a little better. Finally, I got some Bullplate lube & have been happily using that ever since. I keep a little bit of it in one of those little grease containers that you usually find in the butstock of an M1. That's what I normally work out of. It's enough for at least 10 casting sessions & if I spill it, it's not that big of a deal.

semtav
09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
OK
thanks
Guess I will have to give some of that better stuff a try.
Brian

uncle joe
09-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I am not even a serious caster and I would not cast with out bullplate. you won't either after you try it.

and like the perfessor says you will likely want to spill one bottle for making speed green [smilie=p:

cajun shooter
09-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Order 4 when you order. You will spill at least one bottle as the professor noted. Glad to see there are others such as myself. You will have some one on their knees begging you for a bottle, so just a couple will not work. You will not believe how well this stuff works and you apply it with a q-tip. I drilled a hole the size of my bottle in a 2x6 for the top of the bench. No more spills and you can move it by just moving the 2x6(about 6in long).

Doby45
09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Better yet, drill a small 1/16" hole in the dead center of the supplied cap and then you can easily apply to a Q-Tip and not have to worry about the bottle toppling over. I even put a hole in one of my caps with a thumb tack and then I can seal the bottle back up with said thumb tack. A gentle squeeze and you have a perfectly applied drop of juice on the Q-Tip.

Springfield
09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes, I CAN cast without using Bullplate. I can also cast all my bullets with a single cavity mould instead of my 6 cav LEE's, load all my ammo on a single stage press instead of my Dillon 550. Does that make my LEE's and Dillon a crutch? Not at all , just an easier, faster way to do things. Try it, if you don't like it you will be only out a couple bucks. But you WILL like it.

btroj
09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Well put Springfield.

MtGun44
09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I really love Bull PLATE lube, put it on the alignment features and top of mold or
underside of the sprue plate.

Personally, I never lube the sprues, just put them back in the pot. ;-)

Bill

captaint
09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Mt - you are a bad man. I tend to throw my sprues back in the pot too!!
BTW, I had the DW out again last week. My son said "Dad you better take the Les Baer out this time, It's gonna get mad if you leave it home again..... So I shot both of them side by side. Couldn't tell the slightest difference in accuracy between the two. Now, that does say something.
Had a great time. thanks again. Mike

timkelley
09-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Keep a bottle on ypur bench. If you are casting along and it starts to seem as tho 'somthin ain't right' reapply your Bullplate and the world will probably be right again.

XWrench3
09-27-2010, 09:02 PM
ok, i have read about bull plate before, several times. but this time, you guys have talked me into getting some. now, what is the best way to get all of this baked on / burn on lee stick alox cr*p off from my lee molds? also, i know it one of the sponsors here, but which one?

HORNET
09-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Bullplate Lube is sold by Bullshop, one of the members on here. His sponsor link doesn't seem to be at the bottom of the page anymore(??), but I have seen posts by him in the last few days, so he may have internet access again. Try a P.M. if there isn't a link or e-mail listing in the vendor/ sponsors forum.
As far as getting off the burned-on lube, try scrubbing with a brass brush with some mineral spirits or gasoline. Use some brake cleaner or boil it with dish soap (Dawn) to remove any hydrocarbons that are still left behind. It'll be a learning experience.

Donor8x56r
09-28-2010, 07:29 PM
I wish i had Bullplate sooner.It would have save me a lot of frustration.
I got it 3 weeks ago,it works great.