PDA

View Full Version : New/old 7.62x54R/Trigger?

1Shirt
09-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Just picked up a M38 in excellend condition with clean non pitted bore, marked 1942. Shot 35 rounds of surplus Hungarian corrosive ammo that shoots quite well, at least for me with old eyes. Biggest problem with the rifle is the trigger which is at best miserable. A friend advises a Huber trigger at about $60.00, but being about as tight as bark on a tree, find it a bit hard to put a 60.00 trigger on an $80.00 rifle (unless that is the only way out). Am also looking for cast loads that from experianced cast shooters will run through the thing. Is there any (safe way) that the trigger can be smoothed up, or do I go with a new trigger. Would welcome the advise of anyone who has worked on and had sucess with the issue trigger, or who has installed a Huber? Thanks in advance to all who answer this thread.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Maven
09-15-2006, 10:27 AM
1Shirt, I realize the triggers aren't what they should be on some Moisin Nagants, but I don't think you'll need to replace yours. Instead, try to search the "American Rifleman" or the CBA's "The Fouling Shot" for articles on a simple modification of the sear (?). To wit, a simple shim was added (under the "sear" if I recall) that eased the trigger pull considerably. Also, the M-N trigger assembly seemed to me at least to be a very simple arrangement. Btw, I have 3 Finnish Nagants (SAKO's), but their triggers are very light for a military arm so I didn't need to monkey with them.

oksmle
09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
1Shirt .... You might try this. I've used this method on several Mod. 91/30s & have been pleased with the results.
oksmle

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/improvingm44carbines/index.asp

1Shirt
09-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys, good info. Pulled up and printed off the Ko-Tronics Article, and will be trying this method in the near future.
1Shirt!:coffee:

mag_01
09-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Good post--OKMSLE---Lot of info on doing the triggers---Mag:coffee: