PDA

View Full Version : 1 Lb. of Powder

1Shirt
09-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Maybe it is just me, but seems like a pound of powder in the last few years just hasn't been a pound. Recently bought a can of H380, and loading for 22-250 at 38 gr., got 158 loaded rounds out of it. Now unless my math is off (it often is), at 38 gr. I should have gotten about 180 rounds from that pound. With the price of powder today, and if I am not paranoid, seems like I ought to have had another 20 rounds loaded. I had noticed this befor, as it seemed like a shortage, but never ran a full can all the way to check. Am wondering if they are weighing the container as well in packaging? Befor I called Hogdens, thought I would ask on line if anybody else had similar experiance, or if I was just being overly concerned with dollar spent vs. quantity return.
1Shirt!:coffee:

dragonrider
09-15-2006, 01:24 PM
don't assume 16 onces, check the label. Some powders now come as 13 or 14 oz instead of 16.

jhalcott
09-15-2006, 02:00 PM
they did that with coffee too!!

mooman76
09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
They do that with everything. Candy bars get smaller and smaller. They do it to off set costs or make more money. This way they don't have to raise the price noticably and then when they decide it's small enough they come out with the "new larger size". They keep improving laundry soap year after year making it "more powerful". By now you should only have to use a teaspoon to get you clothes clean!

montana_charlie
09-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Just brought a new can of GOEX Cartridge up from 'the magazine'. It says the net weight is 16 ounces on the can...
CM

FallRun
09-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Your can should have the net weight on it somewhere I would think. I use Unique and it does right down bottom

1Shirt
09-19-2006, 08:03 AM
Ok, another lesson learned, and maybe you can still teach an old dog new tricks.
A friend says that the good old days really wern't, and he is probably right. On the other hand, in the good old days, a pound was 16oz, you could tell one car from another by MFG, the homeless wern't on the streets, and we didn't have PETA, the Sierra Club, and Mrs. Brady!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Jetwrench
09-19-2006, 01:05 PM
1Shirt,
That list could go on and on and on.................................. The better it gets the worse it gets. JETWRENCH

NVcurmudgeon
09-19-2006, 01:19 PM
I bught 8# of 2400 and 2# of Green Dot Saturday. Alliant seems to be still selling powder in full measures.

kodiak1
09-19-2006, 05:35 PM
I know for a fact because I got 2 cans of IMR 4198 and they are 8oz cans.
The cans are still the 16 oz cans but they only put in 8 ozs, and the can is marked 8 oz. So no you probably aren't loosing it or getting oldtimers yet.
Oh yes the price well it wasn't really half the price.:drinks:
Ken:castmine:

Four Fingers of Death
09-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Thiings have gone to pot in some areas, but if we went back to all of the old ways, a lot of us senior members wouldn't be here, we would have died years ago. So it balances out I suppose. Mick.

Ken O
09-19-2006, 09:36 PM
I recently bought a can of IMR Trail Boss, it says 9 oz, its in the same size bottle as the other IMRs that are a full pound, and the same price as the pound bottles, which makes it close to $40 a pound. I should have checked that out before I bought it, that is way too much for powder.

mooman76
09-19-2006, 10:34 PM
You have to be careful when you buy Trailboss. I almost bought a can til he told me the price. They wanted the same price as all the other 1# containers. I tried to explain to him it was a 9oz can and should be cheaper but he insisted that was the invoice price. I checked around and most places it is conciderably cheaper to reflect the 9oz can but some places don't see it that way! Reminds me of the old joke how much does a pound weight!

Buckshot
09-20-2006, 12:57 AM
.............I'm an ice cream hound, and less then a year ago they went from full gallons to 3/4 gallon and the price remained the same. Broke my heart. So make it smaller instead of raising the price. They should have raised the price. I was used to gallons :-). It's usually no problem for me to put away a gallon in 3 evening's if Donna has her little dab out of it. Me, I gotta have sideboards on MY ice cream bowl!

................Buckshot

georgeld
09-20-2006, 03:43 AM
Buck: You mean to say you don't eat it right out of the carton yet???

We used to buy powder in either metal, or cardboard 'drum's.
That was back in the days of 50 cent lb powder though!!

Just wait, sooner or later they'll switch us to buying gas by the liter like
in Europe. Then we'll have something to bitch about!

NVWalt
09-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Speaking of the past here. Remember going to Herters in Olympia and scooping the powder out of barrels and weighing it on a hanging scale in paper bags.
I seem to recall it being like 80 cents a pound then....Walt

swheeler
09-20-2006, 11:05 AM
NV Walt; our local gunsmith used to be the powder source, bring your own jug, a one gallon glass jug, fill'er up with 4831 for 8.00, BB ball and Ball C were a little cheaper. The good oln days.

beagle
09-20-2006, 01:53 PM
I remember back in those old days when the local gunshop had a big keg of 4831 in the back. When you requested it, they scooped up what you wanted and it went into a doubled paper bag and was taped and labeled at $.40 a pound.

You could walk in with a $20 bill and come out with a pound of Bullseye, a thousand GCs and a thousand primers. Add a few dollars and a new SC Lyman mould would follow you home as well.

Where are those days now?/beagle

Buckshot
09-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Where are those days now?/beagle

They went the same way as silver certificates, and coins minted in silver that were really worth their face value. Today we might as well be using Monopoly money.

..............Buckshot

KCSO
09-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Or the hardware store sold 22's from a bin and you got 2 for a penny? I bought my Trail Boss from cabella's and it was 1/2 the price of a pound can.

C1PNR
09-20-2006, 08:19 PM
They went the same way as silver certificates, and coins minted in silver that were really worth their face value. Today we might as well be using Monopoly money.

..............Buckshot
I hear now there is talk of getting rid of the penny because the copper in it's worth more than a penny. :Fire:

What a screwed up government - but still better than anywhere else in the whole danged world!!:drinks:

Ken O
09-20-2006, 09:47 PM
I use an empty 15 pound Red Dot keg for my wastebasket in the loading room. The price is still on it, $32.

I checked on the Powder Valley website, and I see that Trail Boss is appropriatly priced there, about $9 a pound.

mag_01
09-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Hay fellows you had me wondering--checked all my cans and they say a pound--thank goodness price keeps going up---just got A pound of IMR4198 cost 22 bucks but it dose say a pound----primers now 22 bucks a K----Mag

waksupi
09-20-2006, 11:42 PM
I hear now there is talk of getting rid of the penny because the copper in it's worth more than a penny. :Fire:

What a screwed up government - but still better than anywhere else in the whole danged world!!:drinks:

My friend, you are at least a decade in arrears. The penny has not been made for copper, for at least a decade. Don't remember when they changed over, but it has been quite some time.

woody1
09-21-2006, 12:35 AM
My friend, you are at least a decade in arrears. The penny has not been made for copper, for at least a decade. Don't remember when they changed over, but it has been quite some time.

Actually it was 1982. Pennies were 95% Copper and 5% zinc. In 1982 the composition became 97.6% zinc and 2.4% copper.

Ed Barrett
09-21-2006, 06:52 AM
.............I'm an ice cream hound, and less then a year ago they went from full gallons to 3/4 gallon and the price remained the same. Broke my heart. So make it smaller instead of raising the price. They should have raised the price. I was used to gallons :-). It's usually no problem for me to put away a gallon in 3 evening's if Donna has her little dab out of it. Me, I gotta have sideboards on MY ice cream bowl!

................Buckshot

You ought to come here to Missouri to buy your ice cream, they sell it here in 5 quart buckets. I really like them for storing cases and stuff. If i keep getting more storage containers I will have to get 3X shirts instead of 2X.
We are lucky to have a place that still sells bulk powder. It's about $12 to $14 bucks a pound but it sure beats other places.

JSH
09-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Ed, bulk powders? I would drive up and buy your lunch if you would point me in the direction of that. I try to drive up around Squaw Creek a time or two every year. I know their was a gun shop or two up your way, but it always seemed to be a Sunday when I got to St.Joe.
We will have to try and meet up at the big winter show again if not before.
Jeff

Bret4207
09-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Actually it was 1982. Pennies were 95% Copper and 5% zinc. In 1982 the composition became 97.6% zinc and 2.4% copper.

And those of us in the Zinc Corporation of Americas (actually a Canadian Corp these days) backyard thank the rest of you for buying our zinc!

Ed Barrett
09-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Ed, bulk powders? I would drive up and buy your lunch if you would point me in the direction of that. I try to drive up around Squaw Creek a time or two every year. I know their was a gun shop or two up your way, but it always seemed to be a Sunday when I got to St.Joe.
We will have to try and meet up at the big winter show again if not before.
Jeff

Just south of town at the junction of A and O highways is Potters place. He's about 70 years old and goes to all the trap shoots around here. He's got about anything you need for reloading and bulk powder. If he isn't in the shop just walk over to the house and knock on the door. If he's in the shop he's usually running one of the shotshell reloaders. His prices are a lot lower than Cabelas.

KCSO
09-22-2006, 11:49 AM
It's not the metal now it's production cost. It costs the gov. 1 1/2??? cents to make each penny. I'm so old I remember penny candy and penny banks. I'll bet when they dropped the 1/2 penny in the 80's the old timers said the same things.

kywoodwrkr
09-22-2006, 02:09 PM
I have gotten alot of my components from the above interprise.
They require a FFl or retail sales # to buy.
They do DROP shipments though, so for about $3 you can have a dealer/licensee order for you and have it shipped directly to you.
Trail boss is $12.33/9 oz can, $87.75/5# can.
That boils down to $21.92/lb(in little cans) and $17.55/lb in 5 lb can.
BHSS prices INCLUDE all shipping costs.
Inother words 5# would be $87.75 delivered to your door.
They carry Hodgdon,IMRs,Winchester and Accurate,
Norma soon.
800-289-2506 website www.bhshooters.com (http://www.bhshooters.com)
Their website basically has their contact information and links to the manufacturers that they carry.
No inventory.
They send out a catalog every two months.
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr

NVcurmudgeon
09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Maybe if enough zinc goes into USA pennies, the WW makers will be priced out of the market and have to discontinue its use.