PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Research BFR Customer service warranty

500bfrman
09-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I brought home my new BFR in 475/480 and after inspecting closely I found problems. Where the barrel screws into the frame it appears as if a metal is flaking off that has been plated. Only problem is they aren't plated. So I call them up and tell them what's going on and they email me a fedex tag to have it shipped. At this point I am pleased that I don't have to pay to have it shipped to them. They were very helpful. I am pleased to find out that it was advertised as a 7.5 and it is really a 6.5 inch barrell.

Mailed on 9/23 they received 9/24 which was a friday. They shipped it out September 30 and I received it back on 10/4. Pretty fast turn around I think. They replaced the barrel, replaced the cylinder, milled the frame, adjusted timing, fired five rounds cleaned and lubed. no charge of course. I don't think this gun should have ever gotten out the door. But their CS was beyond excellent I couldn't be more pleased. I will be buying more bfr's. 44 mag is next. One other thing I just noticed. The BC gap is right at 002. I can barely get the feeler through. Hmmm should have bought at freedom arms for 2300+ dollars. maybe not this thing was 765 out the door NIB.

44man
09-22-2010, 02:38 PM
BFR measures barrel length from the front of the frame. Ruger measures from the end of the forcing cone.
My 7-1/2" is from the front and does not include forcing cone length or barrel that is in the frame. If I measure mine from the end to the muzzle it comes out about 8-3/16".
My 45-70 is 10" from the front of the frame.

jwp475
09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Then they are measuring incorrectly, The forcing cone and the part of the barrel in the frame is definitely part of the barrel

500bfrman
09-22-2010, 03:30 PM
yep, their "6.5" inch barrel, most would call 7.1875 inxhwa. and their 7.5 would be 8.175. and my 500 bfr with a "10" is 10.625 inches.

44man
09-23-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't complain, I like long barrels for hunting anyway.
I hate the blast from short barrels and I never have a need for a backup or carry gun. My revolver is in hand when hunting, I don't quick draw or carry on my hip unless I am walking around with my Vaquero, even it is 7-1/2" and I could never tell that a 4" carries better.
I have tracked deer all day in deep snow with HEAVY boots on and 10# to 12# rifles but some guys are so sensitive they need to take the penny's out of their pockets. You will have a very hard time telling me my revolvers are too heavy to carry.
Long ago when this country was being explored, men were much smaller on the average, yet they traversed from coast to coast on foot with heavy rifles and heavy loads. Now we have guys worried about 2 ounces! [smilie=1:
There were several times I had to carry out deer over my shoulder as far as 3 miles uphill along with my bow and other equipment.
Sorry if I don't feel sorry for anyone's concern over 2" of barrel! :Fire:

shooterg
09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
While you're talking about BFR's...anyone know where to find frame screws for the older BFR's ? The company does not have 'em.

44man
09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
While you're talking about BFR's...anyone know where to find frame screws for the older BFR's ? The company does not have 'em.
You might be talking about the first 45-70 before MR started making them. They were not BFR's. But they should be a standard thread. Determine the thread size and Home Depot, Lowe's Or Brownell's will have screws. You might have to change length or head shapes but it is not hard.

500bfrman
10-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I updated the first post in this thread. very pleased with customer service!! five stars.

bobke
10-05-2010, 01:03 AM
if you're having trouble locating grip or frame screws, try brownell's or mcmaster-carr, if a fairly conventional shape/head. you could likely get mr to give you the correct thread pitch. either should have them, and better quality than your friendly home depot, true value or lowes. they're good for grade 2 and some grade 5 in common thread patterns, but frame screws should be premium quality, in my humble opinion. hit brownell's first.

44man
10-05-2010, 09:17 AM
if you're having trouble locating grip or frame screws, try brownell's or mcmaster-carr, if a fairly conventional shape/head. you could likely get mr to give you the correct thread pitch. either should have them, and better quality than your friendly home depot, true value or lowes. they're good for grade 2 and some grade 5 in common thread patterns, but frame screws should be premium quality, in my humble opinion. hit brownell's first.
Good suggestion.
I don't know what type of screws the early guns had but the BFR's have Allen type cap screws. I think the heads are larger diameter and the recess is deeper then on a Ruger.
Shooterg needs to find what head type fits the gun before buying anything. 8-32 seems to stick in my mind for the BFR. I don't want to remove one to check.

missionary5155
10-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Good Morning
It is always refreshing to read about US companies that stil know what Honor & Respect is about. I can understand a product that slips through the cracks as I am not yet perfect.
Sadly it seems the large corporations that end up buying all the good companies have forgotten life is far more than profit.
I have no regrets owning a BFR.