PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lubri-matic

78CJ
09-15-2006, 07:29 AM
I can get a brand new one for $32 from a shop that is selling all of their reloading components. Should I pick it up? I see that RCBS sells a Lubri-matic 2 and I can not tell what the difference is. I have been wanting to try some stick lube but up until now I have been tumble lubing.

They also have a handful of Lee Loaders one in 25-35 and one in 44 mag.

And a ton of dies. Mainly RCBS, are their any calibers that are hard to find dies for? Most of the boxes are priced 19.99 and are half off.

Thanks

Ryan

45 2.1
09-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Good buys, if you don't want the lubrisizer, i would take it for that and a little. If that shop has a set of 9.3x57 RCBS dies, i would take those also.

78CJ
09-15-2006, 08:16 AM
I seem to remember a few metric calibers. I think I am going to run up there again today and get a better handle on what is there. If anyone wants to post calibers that they are interested in I will check.

Bigscot
09-15-2006, 09:00 AM
If they have another one I would be interested too! Plus some.

Bigscot

carpetman
09-15-2006, 11:08 AM
78CJ----The older RCBS luber used a ratchet wrench (I think they call them Pitman wrench and are used in refrigeration work a lot)to pressure the lube. The newer version has a sliding toggle handle to feed the lube. $32 would be good buy for either model. I much prefer the ratchet system which is what Lyman also uses. I converted my new model to the ratchet feed. This took some machining--pretty simple---but it's not a just change the part mod---the old and new bolt dont interchange. RCBS furnished the parts for the conversion---I had to modify the part they furnished--it's not a deal where they can send a part and you install it.

78CJ
09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks Carpetman, I remember seeing the wrench in the box.

Wayne Smith
09-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Make sure the wrench to loosen the nut that holds the die is there. I have a LubeMatic 1 w/o that wrench, and RCBS says it's no longer made and they don't have any. A set of Channel Locks does work.

crazy mark
09-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Wayne,
I use a cut off box end wrench of the right size. It also helps to keep the nut down flat with pressure from the ram when I tighten the nut. No stripped threads that way. Mark

floodgate
09-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Catpetman:

I recall that as the little reversible, stamped metal "Chapman" wrench handle that took the little hexagonal bits such as are provided in the Brown-L gunsmith screwdrivr sets. They may still have them; if not, 78CJ - and anyone else - should be able to talk RCBS out of one; or Lyman, who used the same handle and - I think - stioll does on the 450 and 4500 lube-sizers.

floodgate

Slowpoke
09-16-2006, 01:28 AM
Wayne,
I use a cut off box end wrench of the right size. It also helps to keep the nut down flat with pressure from the ram when I tighten the nut. No stripped threads that way. Mark

I bought a 15/16 gear wrench (combination wrench that the box end ratchets) for 6 whole bucks at the AG supply store, makes changing dies a breeze. It hangs out of the way under my reloading bench with in easy reach.

Good luck