PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 TC Encore Range Day

school of mines
09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
We were at the 200 yard range checking zeros on our deer/elk rifles Sunday. I brought my new Encore barrel in 45/70 along and tried it at 200 yards. My load is a starting trapdoor load of 5744 with the lee 405 grain hollow base boolit. My 45-70 Encore barrel doesn't have a scope on it, so I had the rear sight set at their lowest elevation and let it rip. I was using a 6 o'clock hold on a 12" bull, again at 200 yards. To my surprise, the rifle grouped within 3" but was almost 2' high at 200! Once I got the windage right, I compensated for the elevation and was able to hammer the 250 yard gong. It was a lot of fun, but I wouldn't want to shoot a lot of shells through it! Recoil is significant in the Encore carbine length!

I plan on changing the rear sight to a Marbles that is lower in height. Midway has them in 3 different elevations. Does anyone have experience that can provide input on what height to purchase?

Thanks!
:cbpour:

school of mines
09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I just checked my Encore's rear sight and saw that it is not dovetailed so my original plan to replace it with a Marbles open sight won't work. I think I'll remove the scope mount and look for a peep sight. Anyone have any recommendations? The plan is to use this barrel combination for close up work wear the shots will be at 50 yards so I want something that is quick to use.

bigted
09-22-2010, 12:47 PM
with my encore i shoot the 50 cal mler and i also have a 223 bull barrel that is a tack driver. but im interested in the 45/70 barrel and the recoil that it produces as this was going to be my next barrel for it.

question i have is what is your load that your shooting in it? and what stock do you have on it?

this isnt what you asked for but thought id ask a couple questions about the gun here. i use a scope [ leo 1 to 4 power on the 50 and a leo 3-9 on the 223. so open sight for my old eyes are a thing of the past im thinking.

Ted

school of mines
09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Bigted I am using a starting trapdoor level load of 5744 under the Lee 405 grain hollow base. The recoil was stout but manageable. The stock on my Encore is walnut. I shot 20 handloads through it and 4 Remington 405 grain factory loads. The Remington loads recoiled more to me. I believe I could shoot the trapdoor load all day, but you may feel different!

I thought about a low powered scope but really want an open sight set up for this barrel. Maybe a ghost ring?

kirb
09-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Willams sights make a peep sight for the encore I think they are on sell right now at Midway

Kirb

school of mines
09-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks Kirb! I'll check it out.

HEAD0001
09-23-2010, 05:29 AM
If anyone is interested I have a nice Encore barrel with a Skinner ladder sight mounted on the barrel for sale. It also has a muzzle brake on the barrel. Hasn't been shot. I went a different way after I put the barrel together.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/HOOKS/IMG_0575_2.jpg

rhbrink
09-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Might be easier to change the front sight for a taller one. Brownell's has a chart that has the sight radius and measurements for changing the front sight height I think that it is set up for 50 yards, might check it out. About everytime that I have changed to a peep or different rear sight I have had to change the front too. Good Luck!

Shooter
09-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I have a williams peep on my .45/70 Encore. It works very well. The Encore .45/70 is a very nice stalking rifle. Adding a scope clutters it up.
It is a great rifle to carry a lot and shoot a little.