PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bench Primer Tool

280Ackley
09-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I have been using a Lee hand primer tool for years, but as I get older my hand strength is not what it once was. I want to buy a new bench top tool and don't which one to get. Please share your experience.

elk hunter
09-21-2010, 09:38 PM
I use the RCBS, love it.

Doc Highwall
09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
I have the old RCBS bench mounted tool with the tubes and I now use the new RCBS APS press mounted tool and I think it is great!

Kevin Rohrer
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM
I use a very old (1951 or earlier) Lachmiller primer tool. Very nice.

It's on the right.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0246.jpg

roysha
09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Priming is one job I truly dislike. I have over the years tried nearly every system for priming that is/was available and the only one I use, for any significant quantity of ammunition, is the RCBS Auto Prime. Extremely fast, accurate, reliable and sturdy. I don't care for the APS because I don't want to be tied to the plastic strip. Other than that I think it is a good system.

I still load a major share of my single station loading, using an old Schissel "H" press I bought in the early 60s, used. When only priming a few cases I use the primer seating stem that screws into the bottom of the press base. But it better be very few.

Needless to say, the progressive presses for my handgun rounds take care of the situation in their own way.

Kevin Rohrer
09-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Roysha: I have never seen a Schissel. Would you mind posting a pic of it here?

Doc Highwall
09-23-2010, 02:19 PM
roysha, the CCI primers are available both with or without the primer strip for the same price, and you can get a APS primer strip loader for other brands of primers. I bought the APS primer strip loader because I use the Federal 205M and 210M primers for match shooting. When I first started to use the APS primer strip loader I encountered a problem of the primers not falling into the holes of the primer strip that was attributed to burrs on the edge of the part that presses the primers into the holes.

John Boy
09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
I prime all BPCR reloads using the Lee Auto Primer. Have broke several levers on the two I have because of the cheap casting but Lee has provided new ones - Free of Charge

selmerfan
09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I really enjoy using the one on top of my Forster Co-ax press.

jeff423
09-23-2010, 11:21 PM
I really enjoy using the one on top of my Forster Co-ax press.

I have to agree. It seats primers more smoothly and accurately than anything else I've tried: Lee and RCBS hand priming tools.

It's a pretty good press too.:smile:

Jeff

edsmith
09-24-2010, 12:16 AM
RCBS auto prime , tried differant priming tools , always go back to the rcbs.

runfiverun
09-24-2010, 12:38 AM
yep, bench mounted rcbs.
bought the dillon primer fill machine and dump from it straight into the tubes.
use it for the dillons too.
thinking of buying another just so's i don't have to change sizes.

wallenba
09-24-2010, 12:45 AM
RCBS auto prime, it's super reliable, great 'feel', and with proper positioning of components (cases and loading block) arm movement is kept to a minimum.

Doc Highwall
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
I like the RCBS press mounted priming tool because it uses the press linkage to seat the primer and it comes to a dead length at the top of the stroke making the only variable after you cut the primer pockets with a uniformer the height of the primers them self and the rim thickness of the cases. I have the old RCBS bench mounted tool that uses the tubes and some times I use it to seat the primer part way and then seat them all the way with the Ram Priming unit but now that I have the APS press mounted tool I do not have any use for it.

edsmith
09-24-2010, 01:13 PM
are the APS strips reuseable ? thanks guys

Pressman
09-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Lachmiller first followed by the RCBS Bench mount. The RCBS is really fast if volumn is important. The Lachmiller is better for rifle cases where precision is prefered.
In my not so humble opinion.
Ken

09-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Have tried most of the other types. I still prefer, and now only use, an older Wilson/Sinclair hand priming tool. Plenty of leverage, plenty of "feel" and built like a tank.

Doc Highwall
09-24-2010, 10:20 PM
edsmith, yes the primer strips are reusable. I reuse them for my Federal and Remington primers.

tonyjones
09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
For a bench mounted tool I like the RCBS APS system. For precision primer seating nothing beats the Sinclair hand priming tool although the K&M comes close and can be equipped wiyh a dial indicator.
Regards,
Tony

sourceofuncertainty
09-27-2010, 10:27 AM
I just started using the RCBS bench priming tool (non-APS) and like it a lot. Very quick, and switching from large to small primers takes all of two seconds.

AaronJ
09-27-2010, 04:44 PM
john boy i have had the same problem with the lee. i like that i have much better feel of the primer seating but the cheap pot metal parts break so often i just bought extras so when they do break i can send one to lee and rotate in a fresh one

roysha
09-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Kevin:

If you really want picture, I'll try to get one posted. However, if will look at the Dunbar press that you so very nicely restored, and imagine it as a single station press rather then the 2 station press like your's you will have a picture of my Schissel press, except mine is black. It was made in Cherokee, Iowa, I suspect, sometime in the 50s. It has loaded tens of thousands of rounds for me and still works great.
I still have the Schisssel 30-06 dies that I bought with the press and have used them to load for other people. Although I have owned 30-06s in passing, I have never owned one for myself. I'm a 270 guy!! Oh wait, I guess I did own a Garand and shot High Power with it, but is that really a 30-06 or more realistically a Garand cartridge?;-)
I do have other presses that I use for jobs that the "H" type press does not handle very well, (primer pocket swaging for one) but the good old Schissel is my main press.