PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Sight Screw

Uncle Grinch
09-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Does anyone know the thread pitch of the front sight screw, the one under the sight blade, of a K98 Mauser?

I sweated a new front sight barrel band/base on and need to chase the threads with a bottom tap. The screw goes in almost all the way, but there must be some solder in the bottom.

Uncle Grinch
09-22-2010, 08:51 AM
I must have stumped everyone on this one!

waksupi
09-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Well, I had considered telling you to just shorten the screw, since I didn't know the proper size tap!

BABore
09-22-2010, 03:27 PM
It should go all the way through. It's there only to orientate the front sight band prior to soldering it in place. The big screw in front of the rear sight serves the same purpose. The bbl I had torn down had small center drill marks in it to mate with the screw points for orientation. I imagine they did this so sight alignment was simple to do prior to soldering. Heat the front sight back up and turn the screw in farther to got rid of the solder.

Dutchman
09-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Try M3x.5 That's a common screw thread on rifles. It's a coarse thread. The larger one is M4x.7mm.

The pinch screw on the rear sight is M4x.7..... pretty sure. I have one apart in the shop but I'm going from memory. But M3x.5 is commonly used on Mausers in other applications/models.

Dutch

Uncle Grinch
09-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Tried that one Dutch, but mine is much finer. I went ahead and installed the sight blade without the set screw, hoping to get to the range with itbut.... I'm baby-sitting granddaughter this weekend.