PDA

View Full Version : lube contamination ?

blaser.306
09-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Is it possible for C red to contaminate a powder charge ? I was at the range today starting my load work up in my .445 supermag using a 1680 powder of the 25 (scale ) weighed charges using a known to be good lot of fed #155 primers , I had 7 loads that the boolit almost went squib ! The unburned powder charge was left in the barrell ! I am just trying to eliminate all possibilities . I have a message in to Western powders to see if it is possibly a bad lot # . I am loading 330 gr cast and 30.5 gr as max charge . The majority of the miss ignition occured at the lower end of the ladder 28.0 gr , 28.5and 29.0 . Any ideas would be appreciated

btroj
09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
How tight was bullet fit in the case and how much crimp?
I once loaded some wc820 in 44mag and had a couple of stuck bullets. Took the rest home, crimped em hard and no more problems.
Slower burning powder, especially with lower charge weights, need a good bullet pull to ignite, and stay ignited. In my case I found a wad of unadorned powder behind the bullet.

I am sure Felix can explain it better but this is my thoughts.

Brad

blaser.306
09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
They were assembled with a GOOD heavy roll crimp Loaded with Redding TIC dies . I shot another batch with H110 and not a problem , So I think the crimp issue is out.

runfiverun
09-21-2010, 08:50 PM
neck tension.
1680 is slower than h-110.

btroj
09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I agree on tension. A crimp alone is not enough. How much is you expanded opening the case? In most of my heavy handgun rounds I can see the tension is high. Looking at loaded rounds carefully I can see each lube groove - on the outside of the case. I want them this tight.
This comes up with the lightish load of really slow powder for the cartridge. Without the high tension the powder never develops the pressure to burn properly. This also explains why the higher charge weights were less of a problem. Pressure was high enough to overcome the low tension which allowed a good burn.
Brad

blaser.306
09-21-2010, 10:08 PM
I am able to clearly see both the gas check and lube grooves in the casing after the boolit is seated , However after a little closer look-see I found that I may not had as mutch crimp on these as I had first thought ( now fixed ). Again thanks for the thoughts , I am going to start my ladder testing over again in the morning . I should have better results this time out .:castmine:

454PB
09-21-2010, 10:36 PM
I've never used 1680, but if it's a ball powder and slower than H-110, your problem may be a too small charge weight.

I had a similar problem with WC820 and 255 gr. boolits in my .454 Casull. Combining relatively light boolits and reduced charges of slow burning ball powder is a recipe for hangfires and squibs.

Moonie
09-23-2010, 01:02 PM
My first thought was crimp. I remember having this issue with my DW 7445 in .445 SM and 1680 (I do miss 680), the problem turned out to be the crimp was too light.

Recluse
09-23-2010, 01:17 PM
neck tension.
1680 is slower than h-110.

Agree. Not impossible, but highly unlikely that the Carnauba Red caused or contributed to any kind of contamination. For one, it doesn't migrate, and two, I'm not sure there's anything in there counter to powder ignition.

:coffee:

454PB
09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I am able to clearly see both the gas check and lube grooves in the casing after the boolit is seated , However after a little closer look-see I found that I may not had as mutch crimp on these as I had first thought ( now fixed ). Again thanks for the thoughts , I am going to start my ladder testing over again in the morning . I should have better results this time out .:castmine:

Crimp won't replace neck tension, and it sounds like you have plenty of that.

Your results match mine, I had enough neck tension that you could see the lube grooves through the brass. Still, I had a boolit stick half way down the barrel of my Ruger SRH.

I test neck tension by loading the cylinder and firing 5 rounds. I then remove that last unfired round and see if there was any boolit movement.

Recluse
09-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I test neck tension by loading the cylinder and firing 5 rounds. I then remove that last unfired round and see if there was any boolit movement.

Well, after thirty-plus years of reloading, I just learned a new way to do something.

THANK YOU for that tip. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

btroj
09-23-2010, 05:02 PM
I would say that what we have learned here is why light charges of slow burning powder under light for caliber bullets are not a good choice for revolvers.

454PB
09-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Well, after thirty-plus years of reloading, I just learned a new way to do something.

THANK YOU for that tip. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Yes, the .454 Casull and other hard kickers are excellent inertia bullet pullers.

Some boolits, like the Lyman 452651, nearly peek out of the front of the cylinder. If one happens to move forward out of the case, the gun is useless.

GP100man
09-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Back to the CR , I have some 38s in a box under the seat in my truck , been there for 3 yrs , did`nt wipe the bases of the 357477 either .

Inside temp of truck gets 140 or so & chronoed for 2 summers now 10 rnds no slowdown or squib reports!!!!

At the end of this summer chronoing will be easier , I have my own !!!!

Agreed though 1680 is gettin on the edge of too sloww for handgun applications !!

blaser.306
09-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks again for all the input ! The problem is now a non issue . The T/C barrell settled out on 29.5 gr of 1680 ( Recomended ) by members on this board , as well as several loading manuals . Noe 300 gr fp (final weight /lube / check 330 gr ) sized .429 . Fed #155 LPM . No more ignition issues , Burns clean and Accurate Not to mention that it hits like a ton of bricks !!!!:bigsmyl2: [smilie=w: