PDA

View Full Version : where to crimp?

atlatl
09-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I recently started reloading 38 special using 158 gr swc from a Lee mold, tumble lubed. As there is often a ring of lube on the shoulder of the bullet, I thought why not roll crimp above the top driving band rather than just below it? THUS THE LUBE WOULD BE BELOW THE CRIMP AND NOT COLLECTING DIRT ETC. These are relatively light loads fired from a .357 so reducing internal case capacity and increasing pressure is not my concern. Is there any reason NOT to crimp in this fashion?

docone31
09-21-2010, 03:46 PM
I have not found a need to crimp my .38spls.
There is a ring, but I do not crimp with it. It changes the ultimate diameter and produces leading when a non crimped load will not.

ReloaderFred
09-21-2010, 05:23 PM
You can crimp just about any place on a lead bullet, since the crimping die will form it's own crimping groove with the case mouth. Of course, you can't crimp into the lube groove.

I crimp all my .38's, since they may end up in mine or my wife's Marlin rifles for SASS matches. If not crimped, the magazine spring will compress the round and lock up the action.

Hope this helps.

Fred

shooting on a shoestring
09-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Atlatl...You said 158 gr, Lee, and mention tumble lube, so I assume the boolit is the TL158SWC. I have that boolit, and have crimped in the top groove, and over the front driving band. At .38 Spl pressures, using Bullseye and Herco, not any noticable difference in pressure/velocity, just a little in loading into the pistol. The ones I crimped over the front driving band tended to catch on the edge of the chamber just a bit more often than the ones crimped in the the top lube groove.

Really no big deal, suit yourself.