PDA

View Full Version : Wow, look at all that smoke!

ebg3
09-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Shot a pistol match last Sunday and I was first on the first stage, of course. I was using my cast 180gr .40 boolits lubed with homemade moly lithi-bee lube. Well, the stage was 19rds with 10 peices of steel and the targets were in the shade and the sun was in my eyes. After a few shots all I could see was white smoke and no targets.:lol: About half way through the stage I could hear people laughing at all the smoke...that's usually a bad sign! I made it through that stage and luckily had enough jhp ammo to finish the match.
I've been shooting cast for many years and should have known better than to try to use these with the sun in my face and when the shooting position is basically one place.
I still love this load, I shot three hundred in practice the other day and afterwards, there was no sign of leading in my barrel and it is very accurate. My combo works it just smokes like Goex FFF.
I love it!:drinks:.
EG

Dan Cash
09-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Don't sweat the smoke. In a gun fight, if you do your job, your attacker will never notice the smoke nor will you.

Blammer
09-21-2010, 07:53 AM
he could use the smoke as concealment. :)

Bwana
09-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I have had my share of that over the years. I have found that the humidity level plays a big role in the amount of smoke. And, generally, there is no wind during high humidity days. So, if the match is on a very humid day, shoot jacketed.

cajun shooter
09-21-2010, 09:11 AM
The correct lube such as Carnuba Red and Clays powder will shoot cast bullets all day with out causing you any smoke problems. I shoot only BP so I know about smoke.

gwilliams2
09-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Love the smell of lube smoke on the range...

lwknight
09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Love the smell of lube smoke on the range...

Its better than a double coffee.

missionary5155
09-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Good morning
Always be on the up breeze side of the shooting line.. then you get to do the laughing and the shooting.

Shepherd2
09-22-2010, 06:59 AM
I use Carnuba Red exclusively for pistol boolits. It doesn't make much smoke normally but on hot, humid days it sometimes gets hard to see thru the cloud of smoke at a match. Luckily in IDPA and USPSA you are usually on the move.

casterofboolits
09-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt! :bigsmyl2:

One of my first IPSC matches (1981) I was staring stright into the sun in the early morning. Warm, humid and no breeze. Ammo loaded with Unique and boolits lubed with RCBS green stuff. After a few shots, I had to shift to the side to be able to see the targets and finish the stage.

The morning sun shining on the gun smoke was like hanging sheet in front of me.:groner::groner:

snuffy
09-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Sell that formula to the Navy, they won't need a smoke screen!:groner:

fredj338
09-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Can I guess, you are using BE or TG? Shooting WST & Carnuba red, very little smoke in any caliber.

ghh3rd
09-22-2010, 10:52 PM
My first boolits were .38 wadcutters. After I loaded up my first 50, I was too excited to wait for the weekend to go to the outdoor range where reloads were Ok. I smuggled them into the indoor range and shot at the lane against the wall (I knew that 2.7 gr of Bullseye wouldn't blow up the place).

I was paranoid because they made such perfect holes in the paper, but mostly because I was making lots of smoke from the Alox lube, and the smell was different than any other ammo there.

chris in va
09-22-2010, 11:14 PM
I would love to do a chemical analysis of the smoke generated from cast boolit loads. Wouldn't surprise me to find it mostly carcinogenic.

DIRT Farmer
09-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Friday morning as I was walking to the cafateria at Friendship the first relay on rifle released a volloy, as much as I love B/P I coughed.

Nah I think if a woman had that for a perfume, she could find a working guy.

thegreatdane
09-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I would love to do a chemical analysis of the smoke generated from cast boolit loads. Wouldn't surprise me to find it mostly carcinogenic.

This made me laugh. I've actually added some smell-good to my lube. It was some **** from Hobby Lobby for candle makers. Whatever it is, it smells great. :-P

thegreatdane
09-23-2010, 11:10 AM
This made me laugh. I've actually added some smell-good to my lube. It was some **** from Hobby Lobby for candle makers. Whatever it is, it smells great. :-P

Wow, you guys censor the word C-R-A-P?

buck1
09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
The recipe I use is 3 pt BW to 1 pt lithium greese. no smoke and it works verrrrry well . all that greese sounds good but lube migration and smoke have lead me to the 3 to 1 mix.

HORNET
09-24-2010, 08:16 AM
A few years ago in a lube discussion, Starmetal posted a chart of the smoke points of various natural oils that could conceivably be used in boolit lubes. One of the entries with a high smoke point was hemp seed oil. That would probably make for a lube with a real different smell....

Centaur 1
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
A few years ago in a lube discussion, Starmetal posted a chart of the smoke points of various natural oils that could conceivably be used in boolit lubes. One of the entries with a high smoke point was hemp seed oil. That would probably make for a lube with a real different smell....

Dude, where's my gun???? Let's just skip the range and go to White Castle instead.

Freischütz
09-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I've also noticed the smoke/humidity connection. If the humidity's high my revolver's cylinder will be very sticky.

Some lubes smoke more than others too. I use a lot of Gray 24 and it puts out lots of smoke on a humid day.

AzShooter
09-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Best combination I've come across to eliminate smoke is Solo 1000 powder and LBT Blue lube. The guys watching me were surprised to see I was shooting lead. It's so clean I don't even bother cleaning my cylinders after a stage, which I've had to do with a number of other lubes.

a.squibload
09-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Wow, you guys censor the word C-R-A-P?

It might be the "S" word.

S-T-U-F-... nope, I need another F.