PDA

View Full Version : 1895 Winchester in 30-06

NickSS
09-21-2010, 06:14 AM
I recently bought one of the new made in Japan Winchester 1895 rifles and like it. I have only fired it one time with GI M2 ball ammo which is all I had on hand in that caliber. Eventually I want to shoot it primarily as a cast bullet rifle. I did run into a problem in that the firing pin hits the primer fairly lightly and I had several failures to fire with the GI ammo. I plan to fire some of my own hand loads next time I go to the range as I know that GI primers are harder than standard ones.

My rifle has the Lawyer driven rebounding hammer and I think if I could get rid of this feature the firing pin would be hit harder. Does anyone know how easy or feasible this is?

KCSO
09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
IN the 1886's I usually replaced the rebounding pin with the Browning parts. They are not available now and I have heard of folks welding up the rebounding parts and re cutting them. The answer is YES get rid of the rebound and you will havew a reliable gun, sure is a shame you need to do this to a new gun though.

Just Duke
09-21-2010, 09:28 AM
I bypast the rebounding hammer on all my Miroku's. Best thing I ever did.

NickSS
09-22-2010, 06:27 AM
How did you bypass the rebounding hammer? From looking at it it looks like all I would have to do is grind off the front hammer strut that goes under the hammer the rear strut is bent up and pressed against a cutout in the hammer. I believe this on is the one that drives the hammer. Is this right????