PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson Dilemna

cricco
09-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I just picked up a Dan Wesson Model 15 .357 Mag. This gun is immaculate. I purchased it from the original owner, who bought it brand new in 1971. It was made in Monson, MA. It is a Porkchop variety model 15. This gun has NEVER been fired! The gentleman I purchased it from, even gave me the original box of ammo that he purchased with the gun! It is a very old box of Remington (DuPont) .357 Mag ammo. The dilemna I am having, is that I really wanted a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag that I could reload and cast boolits for. I couldn't find one, and then this deal pops up. Well, now I find myself with a nearly 40 year old gun that looks brand new, and never been fired. Well, I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the first fella to put a round through this beautiful revolver! Anyone have any ideas? What would YOU do in my situation?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/harley387/wesson1jpg.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/harley387/wessonjpg.jpg

Heavy lead
09-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Keep the Dan and shoot it, dream about the SBH, you can get one anytime. Some of my best finds have been when I've been looking for something else.

S.R.Custom
09-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Shoot it. If it shoots great, keep it & enjoy it. If it doesn't shoot great, use it as trade fodder for a future SBH. But you'll never know for sure what to do with it if you don't shoot it.

part_timer
09-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Just for perspective I have a colt 22lr single action/ presentation case/ receipt from 1969 and all. It was my grandfathers last request was that I never shoot it. I don't know why but that was his last request but it was so I won't shoot it or trade it.
In your situation I'd either shoot it and keep it or trade it for what I wanted. just my .02

Finster101
09-20-2010, 09:37 PM
I think you ended up with a much better gun than the Blackhawk. Shoot it and enjoy it.

docone31
09-20-2010, 09:59 PM
You got a winner there.
I used to go to Monson Ma to have my Dan Wesson worked on. I had a .357 Supermag. It would get out of time. I would show up, they would give me a cup of coffee, take my pistol and go off and fix it. Good folks.
On firing that. I doubt you will really affect the value that much. I might change the grips out, as I do not like the tiny grips.
That will be a good shooter!
I would keep it, and enjoy it. I was more impressed with my Dan Wesson than my SBH. I kept the Dan Wesson longer than my SBH.
Sweet pistol.

cricco
09-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys, for the sound advice. I think I'm going to keep it and shoot it. I just need to talk my self into that first shot. ;)

timkelley
09-21-2010, 11:32 AM
I have one a few years newer than yours and it may very well be the best .357 I own. Mine has a six inch heavy barrel and an extra four incher.

Shoot it!

dale2242
09-21-2010, 01:18 PM
cricco, If putting the first shot through it is a problem for you, send it to me. I will see that it is well broke in. Just saying. Only trying to help a fellow handgunner....dale

Moonie
09-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I still have a soft spot for all Dan Wesson revolvers. I have owned a model 15 .357 and a model 7445 .445 SM. Wish I still had both...

69daytona
09-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Shoot it, they are accurate and fun guns to shoot and you wont drop the value to much. I have a DW 44 pistol pac I bought new in the early 80s from a guy that bought it new in the early 70s and never shot it. I use to shoot it on the 200 yard line when I was coaching in 29 palms USMC. It would keep them in the black easy single handed. It still shoots excellant after about 15000 round and I have never had to have anything fixed on it, still looks brand new.
Also have one in 375 super mag. shoots great too but brass and limited bullet designs and weights dont make it as enjoyable.
The 357 is a great round to reload for tons of different disigns and weights for anything you want to do.

Freightman
09-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I had a set 2,4,6,8" barrels in case, had some medical bills and had to sell. Do not regret the reason but do regret that I had to do it. All barrels shot great, need to go now and cry a little.

Moonie
09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Freightman, I understand and feel your pain. Wish CZ would start production up...

dubber123
09-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Shoot the snot out of it. You won't retire off selling it anyways, so why not shoot it? It would have to be a VERY valuable gun for me to not shoot it. Say it's worth $500. After MANY years of careful use/maintainace, it MAY drop to $400. The way the gun market is, it may not drop at all. Use it and enjoy it.

HeavyMetal
09-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Send it to me and I'll pop the first round ( or 100) for you!

Seriously find some other gips cause those will draw blood and shoot the snot out of it reasonable loads shoul never bother that gun.

exile
09-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Ruger Super blackhawks are very common, I would imagine that gun is not, sounds like you got the better end of the deal. A gun is rarely any fun if you don't shoot it, go ahead and enjoy it.

exile

Ed K
09-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Realistically what you have there is a wonderful shooter - not really a collectible. I once came into a commemorative Colt SAA with the hammer strapped, presentation case coin, book that made me feel as you do. After sitting in my safe for a year or two I parlayed it into two or three clean shooters and shoot them I do. Now I wouldn't tell you to go off and hurt an investment. If that DW could be sold, you get your Super Blackhawk and your 2nd and 3rd choices then sell it. Otherwise I vote enjoy it.

cricco
09-25-2010, 07:18 PM
UPDATE:
I took my Dan Wesson out to the range. I put a total of 18 .357 Magnum rounds through it, as well as 18 .38 specials. It sure is a good shooter! I just need to order a good mold and some dies so I can start reloading for it.

Ed K
09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Good work!

crazyboy0582
12-23-2011, 03:56 AM
I have recently aquired a large frame Dan Wesson revolver chambered in .45 Colt. It has a 6" heavy vented barrel, stainless finish, adjustable rear sight, and is stamped Monson, Mass. I have an idea of what it might be but I am not for sure. It looks like it might be a model 745 but there are no identifiers on the gun itself. I have the box but it is useless as far as information is concerned. Also, what are these worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Serial number is 45S0010XX.

dale2242
12-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Go to Guns America and type in your gun. You can get an idea what a DWA like yours is going for these days....dale

44man
12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
There was one period when the Dan Wesson went down hill. A change in owners caused it.
I don't know but think they are back.
The early ones were wonderful so shoot it. You will never wear it out. It loses no value and if it is super accurate, it is worth more. Nothing worse then a gun that will not shoot and I refuse to collect such stuff.
Well, maybe a Colt SSA army that has never been shot or one full of engraving and gold---useless guns. Guns were made to shoot.

velojym
12-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I have one of each, well, my DW is a 6" 15-2VH. I wouldn't willingly give it *or* my SBH up given my 'druthers.
As for value, these Monson DWs (no experience with the other ones) are FAR nicer revolvers than their prices reflect, and I wonder if we're going to see a large spike in the future. Doesn't matter too much to me, though. I have what I want, and beyond picking up a short barrel for CCW use, I'm happy with it.

M4bushy
12-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I just picked up a Dan Wesson Model 15 .357 Mag. This gun is immaculate. I purchased it from the original owner, who bought it brand new in 1971. It was made in Monson, MA. It is a Porkchop variety model 15. This gun has NEVER been fired! The gentleman I purchased it from, even gave me the original box of ammo that he purchased with the gun! It is a very old box of Remington (DuPont) .357 Mag ammo. The dilemna I am having, is that I really wanted a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag that I could reload and cast boolits for. I couldn't find one, and then this deal pops up. Well, now I find myself with a nearly 40 year old gun that looks brand new, and never been fired. Well, I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the first fella to put a round through this beautiful revolver! Anyone have any ideas? What would YOU do in my situation?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/harley387/wesson1jpg.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/harley387/wessonjpg.jpg

I won't own a gun I can't shoot. So shoot it!

peter nap
12-25-2011, 04:13 PM
I have recently aquired a large frame Dan Wesson revolver chambered in .45 Colt. It has a 6" heavy vented barrel, stainless finish, adjustable rear sight, and is stamped Monson, Mass. I have an idea of what it might be but I am not for sure. It looks like it might be a model 745 but there are no identifiers on the gun itself. I have the box but it is useless as far as information is concerned. Also, what are these worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Serial number is 45S0010XX.

It's pretty much worthless in 45 Colt.
It may make a good tackle box gun so I'll give you $50.00 for it.[smilie=l:

rintinglen
12-25-2011, 05:34 PM
re: the DW 45 colt, I have never seen one sale, but the 44's seem to run in the 700 to 800 dollar range, for the gun itself with one barrel, the full on kits with case and barrels run higher, about 1100 hereabouts. I would expect the 45 to run about the same.

missionary5155
12-26-2011, 05:00 AM
Good morning
Last revolvers I get rid of will be the DW´s. The Monsoms were well built and will outshoot all other production revolvers plus not fall apart in your hand.
Look on Gunbroker for real prices. I see 44 mags going for $450 & up depending on the day. A 45 Colt goes for a premiun price like the 41 Mags. Reduce the barrel gap to .0015 and put a good tight turn on the barrel nut and that DW will shoot circles around all but the expensive SA revolvers cost 2x+ . Still have my first 15-2 (1977) and all the rest..
Mike in Peru

crazyboy0582
12-27-2011, 10:44 PM
It's pretty much worthless in 45 Colt.
It may make a good tackle box gun so I'll give you $50.00 for it.[smilie=l:

Thanks for the info. Also, would anyone know where to get barrels for in .45 Colt? I am able to find them in all calibers and finishes for everything except .45 Colt. Im looking for an 8, 10, 12, 0r 15 inch barrel. As for you Mr. Peter Nap... I may not know much about my DW but I do know that it is worth far more than $50 and is more than just a tackle box pistol. You wouldnt be trying to swindle me now would you? Lol :kidding: