PDA

View Full Version : US Firearms

bbs70
09-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Just ordered a USFA Rodeo this morning from Long hunter.
Now the wait begins.:groner:

ReloaderFred
09-21-2010, 03:17 AM
If it's one that Jim works on before it goes out, it will be really smooth and a pleasure to shoot.

Hope this helps.

Fred

cajun shooter
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I have had two sets of USFA's purchased from Jim. One set of Premiums and one set of Rodeo's. They were in 45 Colt and 44-40. The Rodeo's in 44-40 were not being offered by Doug Connerly the owner of USFA. Jim helped talk him into offering them and he did with a $100 up-charge on each gun. But they did arrive in about 2 1/2 months with 3 digit serial numbers. They are The best SAA being built today. I hope you ordered the LP hammers as they are very nice to use. The only difference between the two models is outer finish. Doug Turnbull does the CCH work on the premium and that rasies the price. I used some 0000 steel wool and oil to lighten up that Rodeo finnish and they now look like old model Colts. You will enjoy them with out a doubt.

bbs70
09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Yep, its coming from Jim Finch, wouldn't have it any other way.:D
Said 12 week wait.
45 lc with 4 1/2 in barrel.
Didn't order it with lp hammer, kinda liked the stock hammer.
But them I haven't handled one with the lp hammer.

Loved the looks of the color case hardened ones, but the gun is just going to be a for fun gun so I couldn't justify the added expense for the color case hardened one.
But dang they are simply beautiful.

shooting on a shoestring
09-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Drool......

Dale53
09-21-2010, 09:10 PM
I was attending our bi-monthly gun club meeting a few weeks ago. We have a "trade table". By george, there was a USFA Rodeo with my name on it right there in front of me. A good friend owned it and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was NIB with all papers...

I have to agree on one thing - they are the best fitted single action a person will find outside of, maybe, a full custom revolver.

I have been gimping around with a bad back, but hope to get to shoot it shortly.

I have a few MiHec 270 gr SWC hollow points loaded up. It'll be interesting to see how they work.

FWIW
Dale53

runfiverun
09-21-2010, 11:11 PM
there really is not much to fit or improve on with the usfa's.
the only thing i have a remote complaint about is the rodeo's finish. which will wear down on it's own.
next time it'll be case and blued,or just blued.
maybe i just carried/shot them too much.

Dale53
09-21-2010, 11:58 PM
I have one serious complaint regarding the Rodeo. The sights absolutely SUCK! They are a copy of a First Generation Colt.

I MUCH prefer the fixed sights on my Ruger Vaquero. It the USFA shoots like I believe it will, I'll have to do something about the sights.

Incidentally, I am open to suggestions (anything that won't necessitate me having to mortgage my house...).

Dale53

AlaskaMike
09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Dale, I'm not too familiar with single actions--what is it you don't like about the Rodeo sights?

Dale53
09-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Rodeos have fixed sights. The better fixed sights have a good sight picture (square rear and the front of decent width). The Rodeo's sights have a narrow "v" notch rear and a skinny, tapered front sight. Those are bad enough when you have twenty year old eyes but are especially hard to see with aging eyes.

As an example, my Ruger Vaquero has a rather wide, flat bottomed fixed rear sight and a reasonably wide (not tapered) front sight. The sight picture is very nearly as good as my adjustable sighted Black Hawks.

There are those that prefer "Traditional" above all else. I am not quite THAT Traditional. I would MUCH prefer GOOD fixed sights.

After all, my use of the revolver will be to shoot it...hitting what you are shooting at is nice...

Dale53

AlaskaMike
09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Gotcha. I hate rear V notches myself, and strongly prefer practical over traditional.

bbs70
09-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Out of the blue yesterday an acquaintance came over and wanted to buy my 45 Blackhawk.
I had put it up for sale 2 months ago and didn't think anyone would pay my asking price.
But he did.:shock:

Now all I have is a 40 cal Glock which by the way is very accurate and I love it, but its not a single action 45.
I told my wife this morning I almost feel naked not having a single action revolver to shoot.:bigsmyl2:

Now I have to wait at least 11 more weeks for the USFA rodeo to get here.
Don't know if my nerves can handle not having a 45 to shoot for that long.:bigsmyl2:

9.3X62AL
09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
We'll be here for ya, BBS. :)