PDA

View Full Version : sight black

buck1
09-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I have a FA 83 in .454. The front sight becomes a bleached out grey color in natural light wile sighting it. The only thing that seems to help is Spray on sight black. But that comes off easy , Markers dont work help. Any sugestions?? Thanks...Buck

MtGun44
09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Soot with an acetylene lamp is THE blackest thing that there is. Still comes off easily, tho.

Bill

ReloaderFred
09-21-2010, 03:16 AM
You can use flat black model airplane/car paint on the front sight. Once it dries, it's pretty tough.

Hope this helps.

Fred

cajun shooter
09-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Go to any Auto Parts store and look in the touch up paint section. It is a oil base paint that you need. Find the flat black and you are in business. Small inside brush makes it easy to apply. Back when I shot PPC on the police dept everyone used the small lamps that burned carbide to blacken the entire top strap. It removes very easy and had to be applied many times a day. Nothing ever made any blacker though.Reloader Fred has the right idea but many or almost all stores sell water based paints and they don't last on metal. It takes a automotive type paint to stay. I have it on all my guns used in SASS.

buck1
09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks, In my holster the smoke/spray on stuff wipes right off. I will look for the oil based flat black.

shooting on a shoestring
09-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I use a sky-blue acrylic paint. I like it a lot. Someone here pointed out the blue works great in lots of conditions. I tried it and like it.

HeavyMetal
09-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Sky Blue is actually the most light reflecting color, at least according to a test run in one of the gun mags back in the early 90's. The author tested several colors including bright Red and found that the Sky Blue insert in his pistol had the most reflected light showing on a pin point light meter used in photography

Black was also rated high in this test not for reflectivity but for contrast on target.

If your going to paint your sight pick one of these colors based on the guns use Low light level self defense go with Sky Blue any type of day time target work use the Flat Black.