PDA

View Full Version : rossi spring / teardown question

lylejb
09-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I have a new Rossi single shot 22 / .410 2 barrel combo set. The hammer spring is RIDICULOUSLY, stiff. Way, way, over the top, hard to cock.

My son can't cock it more than 2 or 3 times, and My thumb starts getting sore from the hammer serrations before we get through a box of 22's.

I think this must be a "one size fits all" strength used in larger frames / calibers.
I could maybe understand this if it was a 223 or a 308 that might get hard primer mil-surp ammo, but it's not.

Looking at the (lousey) exploded diagram in the owners manual, this uses a single sided torsion spring, much like the newer H&R's.

In fact, looking at the H&R's diagram / pictures at Numrich it looks Identical to me.

So, If I pick up a replacement spring, how do I lighten / reduce the temper without ruining it totally?

Maybe dip it in a lead melt, then oil Quench?

Lead melt then air cool?

Propane torch, then quench?

Also, this reciever has no screws, it's all pins. Does anyone know if they drive out to the right, or left? Or does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

ilcop22
09-21-2010, 11:52 PM
How old is the weapon? I.e., is it a recent purchase? I believe Rossi covers those under warranty repair for the first year.

I can't answer your spring question, but that Rossi is actually rivited together, not pinned. Taking that gun to a smith would likely cost more than the Rossi does at MSRP.

IMHO, contact Rossi before anything else. They should be able to repair/replace or give you some help.

lylejb
09-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Ilcop,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know it's still in warranty, but I'm afraid if I sent it in it would just be returned as "normal - in spec". And it may well be.

However their "spec" for this not what it should be, especially on a youth model.

I've also heard Rossi / Taurus warrenty service times are long. I don't want to be without the gun for months +.

A spring is a couple of bucks, I'm more than willing to invest that much.

The rivited together worries me. I suppose I could go back together with a tight / oversize pin??

Thanks for your reply

ilcop22
09-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Give 'em a call fist and see what they say. If the hammer is that hard to pull back, they may have suggestions before sending it in.

My main worry is that you get the spring and it doesn't fit right or causes malfunctions. Once you go that route, warranty is out of the question and you have yourself a couple hundred dollar paperweight.

Rivets are generally quite hard to remove and pins aren't guaranteed to hold rivited pieces together. I'll see if I can't find more info for ya.

cajun shooter
09-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Look up M&M Gunsmithing in VA. He does warranty work plus has a ton of parts.

fecmech
09-22-2010, 08:53 AM
In regard to the pins I think they go out to the right as you hold the gun in your shoulder. To be sure look closely at the head of the pins with a magnifying glass. Look for serrations on the head near the edge, you want to push that side out away from the receiver. You will need to make an assembly pin to put the trigger assy back in and use something to tie back the trigger to hold the trigger return spring. Those guns can be a real pain to reassemble! I don't know what to tell you on the spring.

eljefeoz
06-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Need to resurrect this a bit
I have this .22/.410 combo, bought in a VG condition, and on testing yesterday, the .22 RF barrel would not fire.After several attempts, ONE CCI went off
The firing pin strike is shallow and absolutely at the edge of the rim.
Nope, it would cost me more to send back to send it to the GS I bought it from
The .410 barrel is superb, fed everything without a glitch.
Advice appreciated...

mikeym1a
06-03-2014, 06:00 AM
Well, you didn't say what brand. I will have to assume that the piece is a Rossi, since that is what the OP was talking about. I looked it up on the web, and it appears that this is a single barrel gun, and you just swap barrels. My old Stevens is a .22/.410 over/under. Since you are having trouble with the piece firing with the .22 barrel, check the breech of the .22, and see if there is any preening of the breechface. If that is the case, I would try to relieve that area to allow the firing pin to make satisfactory contact with the rim of the cartridge. Another suggestion is to remove the firing pin and make sure it is straight. Other than that, I can't offer any other suggestions. Good Luck. mikey

eljefeoz
06-03-2014, 08:13 AM
Yes Mikey, it is the youth combo by Rossi. I'll have to get the plans / tech sheets on the parts. Will have to start somewhere. It's not just 1 brand. Tried out with 4 different .22LR brands
Cheers