PDA

View Full Version : Reclaiming pulled boolits

bowenrd
09-20-2010, 06:15 PM
My 10 mm will have FTF 9 out of 10 rounds. I pulled down about 170 rounds with a kenetic puller. Now I have boolits with Bullseye powder stuck to the lube. How can I safely remelt this batch of boolits with out spraying hot lead eveywhere? Thx in advance.

lwknight
09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
If it were me I would melt as is . The powder will fizzle and fart and smoke like crazy till the wax/lube ignites.
To take the safe road , boil the bullets. The wax and most powder will float off.

DLCTEX
09-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Wash them in mineral spirits or other solvent, let drain well. Or start with a cold pot and the powder will burn before the lead melts. The lube will cause lots of smoke, but will be self fluxing. I just toss them in the pot in an outside area and turn the heat to it. A little powder flash, but nothing serious.

Alex Hamilton
09-20-2010, 06:38 PM
My 10 mm will have FTF 9 out of 10 rounds. I pulled down about 170 rounds with a kenetic puller. Now I have boolits with Bullseye powder stuck to the lube. How can I safely remelt this batch of boolits with out spraying hot lead eveywhere? Thx in advance.

Try cooking the bullets in boiling water until the lube melts, then let the water cool down with the bullets left in. The lubricant will float to the top and solidify there, so you will be able to remove it.

To be absolutely sure, you will need to examine carefully each bullet to ensure that there are no powder grannules stuck to it, and that the bullet has dried before you drop it into the melting pot.

Be very, very careful. I would put all the bullets into the melting pot, turn on the power and leave the room until they have all melted.

Best of Luck,

Alex

sagacious
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
All you need to do is place the bullets in a COLD pot and turn on the heat. The lube will burn and smoke, and the powder will flash-off long before the lead melts.

This practice is safe, and is the ONLY guaranteed safe method for melting lead that has been exposed to liquids. Bullet lube should be considered a liquid in this instance. Good luck.

Tom W.
09-20-2010, 09:08 PM
What, do you wanna live forever?:kidding:

As stated before, just put them in a cold pot and turn on the heat. It's not harmful and is rather interesting....

buck1
09-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Hmmmm, just think... one of those could flux and mix a hot pot at the same time automaticly. LOL!!

Recluse
09-20-2010, 09:56 PM
I save my pulled boolits or bad boolits and put them in a box.

Next smelting session I have, I toss them in the dutch-over when the wheel weights, then set them on the fire. Everything melts and burns off together. No muss, no fuss, and the lube that is on the boolits gives me a good first round of flux.

:coffee:

chris in va
09-21-2010, 01:02 AM
The powder will fizzle and fart and smoke like crazy till the wax/lube ignites.

This. Believe it or not (and it's definitely not something I recommend), I dropped some pulled 45's into my Lee bottom pour and as the powder burned off in the melt, the level would just rise a hair and...that's it.

You can also just lay the boolits out in a pan and hit them with a long lighter or low level propane torch to burn off the powder.

Bret4207
09-21-2010, 07:02 AM
I've remelted powder fouled boolits lots of times. The lube melts, contaminates the powder and it just smokes away.

bowenrd
09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all the input. My first thought was put pulled contaminated boolits in a cold pot and plug in. Just wanted to hear from people that have done this.