PDA

View Full Version : windage on 03A3 sight

RU shooter
09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Is there a way to make them 1/2 moa per click, I never had a 03A3 sight disassembled before and would like a little finer adjustment.

Tim

mike in co
09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
if you take it apart..there are detent balls and detents at 180. if you add a set of detent holes at 90 on each half...bingo.

mike in co

GARCIA
09-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Each click should give you 4 MOA at 100yds.
You might want to stroll over the the CMP site and post there.
Wish I could get 1/2 MOA adjustable sight!

GAR

mike in co
09-21-2010, 01:46 AM
i do not think 4moa is correct for the 03a3.....2 is correct, and adding the second set of holes gives you moa.

i could be wrong..but i have never heard 4 moa before.

mike in co

Mk42gunner
09-21-2010, 02:15 AM
I could be mistaken, but I think BobS did a post a couple of years ago that dealt with modifying 03-A3 sights for target useage.

Robert

Bob S
09-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Yes, he did. But I don't remember where I posted it. The windage screw is No. 8 x 32, and a quarter turn gives you a hair more than 1 MOA (issue sight), so they are practical 1 MOA clicks. There are no detent balls; there is a spring with a divot that engages notches in the back of the windage knob. If you file 4 more notches in the back of the windage knob, that gives you 1/8 turn, which equals 1/2 minute. Not especially difficult, but you need to take care to get them equally spaced between the notches that are already there. Not legal for as-issued matches, though; but it's really not needed for as-issued matches because the target (SR) is HUGE and the range is very short ... only 200 yards.

I still have some pictures, but can't post them from my DC office. Later ...

Resp'y,
Bob S.

RU shooter
09-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks Bob S. I got it apart and cut some additional notches in the wheel unfortunately I cut the new ones a bit too deep and its hard to turn the drum now! Back apart tonight to see if I can smooth things up .Again Thank you.

Tim

OBIII
09-29-2010, 08:50 PM
What may be wrong if the windage is almost to the left or the right at 25 yards? I had the one on mine all the way left, took it to a gunsmith and he said that it was not centered correctly, adjusted it, and now its about 4 complete turns from the left. The front sight appears straight. Any help appreciated. Also, can anyone provide detailed descriptions of how to disassemble and then reassemble the rear sight? I can't feel or hear the clicks when I turn it.
Thanks

RU shooter
09-29-2010, 10:36 PM
There is a very small screw on the edge of the windage knob, unscrew it about half way and the knob will slide right off the shaft.As Bob S. said there is a small sheet metal plate with a raised nub in the middle that indexes with the grooves on the windage knob.See if that nub is still raised enough or the grooves are not filled in with hardened gunk You may be able to shim out that plate if its worn .

Tim

Blackknight
09-30-2010, 05:05 PM
I have been shooting a 03a3 for years and found some time ago you can set the windage between the clicks and it will hold just fine. If you need to adjust move the wheel in the direction you want to go and estimate what is 1/4, 1/2 or just a tweek. The 03 didn't have clicks and held the settings OK.