PDA

View Full Version : Super Colibri Penetration!

Freightman
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
I shoot squirrels with my M69 rifle and Super Colibri ammunition and a t 40 yds they will drop one from 40' up in my big Pecan tree. So I had a phone book that needed to be thrown away, set it up and went back to the house aprox 30= yds and shot into the dry phone book. It penetrated 1.5/8" which is harder and thicker than their head ( where I hit them) so no wonder it takes them down with one shot.

jsizemore
09-20-2010, 01:47 PM
And it's very quiet. Works good on rabbits too.

I laugh every time I see that avatar. Don't you let her have a taste of finger every once in a while?

Freightman
09-20-2010, 02:12 PM
That is my hunting pardner she grabs them and shakes them. She also comes and gets me when she sees one.
She pointed this one out in one of my Pecan trees shot from the house 60' from the tree.

JIMinPHX
09-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I tried shooting some of them at a piece of soft pine. They buried themselves just flush with the surface of the wood. I'm surprised that you got as much penetration as you did. I chronographed mine at 380fps out of a 16.5" barrel & a little faster out of a pistol.

cajun shooter
09-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Jim, Are you shooting the Colibri or Super Colibri? Very big difference in the two. I shoot them in my back yard and my across the street neighbor will be in her yard and not hear them. Alot of fun.

Freightman
09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Mine chronoed at 653/650/678 fps when my chrno worked (before it got flooded).

Changeling
09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I tried shooting some of them at a piece of soft pine. They buried themselves just flush with the surface of the wood. I'm surprised that you got as much penetration as you did. I chronographed mine at 380fps out of a 16.5" barrel & a little faster out of a pistol.

I see that you have a chronograph witch I don't.

Last fall i couldn't find .22 ammo anywhere, except Walmart had some cheap stuff called Thunderbolt made by Remington. I had just put a new barrel on my 10/22 and was hot to shoot it so i bought a brick.

I won't tell you it is the most accurate ammo I have (not real bad though) but it sure does penetrate through groundhogs from my deck, they seem to have a very hard lead bullet so I suspect that is the reason. I like it because I saw little or no expansion just basically straight through.

If you get the time it would be interesting what the velocity is on them and whatever tests you perform.

docone31
09-22-2010, 06:01 PM
What is the headspace on your 10/22?
I had a lot of FTF untill I reset my headspace. I run .042. Reccomended is .040. My original bolt was .052! That is a large difference.
Now it is a tack driver, with that ammo.

JIMinPHX
09-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Jim, Are you shooting the Colibri or Super Colibri?

I was using super colibri. I tried to find the standard colibri, but could only find the supers.

Freightman
09-23-2010, 09:35 AM
I get those numbers in my other 22 a Mossberg 46B it has a tighter bore than the M69 Romanian trainer, it will also stick the Supers in the barrel so I do not use it.

Arisaka99
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Freightman, no wonder its a tack driver, that gun is a sniper rifle trainer!!!!! My uncle has one, my cousin's husband and I were shooting, and we saw some crows out in the field, and he slid up the sight to 100, but we needed to slip it up to 125, so we missed. :(

Freightman
09-24-2010, 01:16 PM
It is accurate here is a target, I do have a old WesternField 3x9x40 scope on it.

Acronn
09-26-2010, 06:20 AM
If you guys are talking about the 20 grain primer only 22 long bullets I have shot them for a couple of years in different guns. My favorite is in the bolt action 22 Remington 512 Sportmaster rifle. 21 inch barrel. Nearly silent when fired. Still more power than most airguns, I have chrono'd them at 550fps out of this rifle. They will bury themselves into a piece of pine at 20 yards where you can see the base of the bullet in the wood, like a dart. I use a pull through wad (just a knot on a weedwhacker line with a bit of a patch on it) to clean out the carbon soot as these are dirty to shoot and after shooting 10 or so the accuracy poops out. They are pretty accurate but the velocity is not completely consistent so they are not perfect. I use them to whack skunks when my dog corners them, and they are nearly silent, just the sound of the projectile hitting the target and the lockwork of the rifle.. MUCH quieter than an airgun with comparable power.. The key is to keep the barrel clean when you are shooting them, it seems to me. Never had one stick in the barrel but I have had some very low velocity ones that had a rainbow trajectory, and I have had a misfire before. Definitely a possibility of one sticking in the barrel so you must be aware of that when shooting them as that could get dangerous. I have shot these indoors before, but that primer smoke isn't probably any good for ya.. so I stopped unless there is some air flow. Lots of fun to shoot, you can go through 50 of them in a hurry. I shot one out of a short barrel pistol and it was surprisingly loud, after shooting them in the rifle I was thinking they would be similar, but they do have a report, the longer 21" rifle barrel must remove all the pressure of the burning gasses so there is no report to blast out of the barrel.

Multigunner
09-26-2010, 10:04 AM
I bought a box of CCI CB Shorts many years ago intending to use them on rats. An old weaving mill nearby had partly collasped and the huge rat population in its basement (think Graveyard Shift by Stephen King) had spread out all around the nieghborhood.
These were some huge sturdy rats, and at first my S&W 78g CO2 pistol wouldn't penetrate their ribcage, but I switched from wadcutter to field point pellets and that did the trick. I also bought a Daisy pump up air rifle and it worked even better on the rats. I decided not to use the CB caps because I didn't want to risk damaging plumbing.

Years later I dug these out and used them when preliminary sighting in a Savage .22 rifle. they proved very quite and accurate.
Later on I used them again when sighting in a High Standard revolver, and found they worked even better in the pistol, with tight one hole groups at fifty feet.

I remember an ancient mini shooting gallery at the old newsstand when I was a youngster. I think it gave you three CB caps when you inserted a coin, don't remember if it was a nickel or a dime. The rifle was mounted on a pintle with a chain that limited its arc of fire. A crank and pulley set up moved the paper targets to the end of its tunnel.
Some kids would buy the CB caps from the dispenser and pocket them if no one was looking, then make zipguns from radio antenna tubing.

Doc Highwall
09-26-2010, 06:33 PM
I bought some of the first Colibri that had a 20 grain bullet and no powder then they came out with the Super Colibri that has a small amount of powder for about 150-200 FPS faster

JIMinPHX
09-27-2010, 11:20 PM
The CB rounds from Remington or CCI are much more powerful than the Super Colibri. The longs & the shorts seem to be about the same.

Deputy Dog
09-27-2010, 11:57 PM
The remmington CB LR in my 541 are target grade as and they will vaporize sparrows they are a little loader than other CBs like aPCP air rifle I do get several misfires .they crno at750 fps

Zeus
10-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I love the super colibri rounds for rabbits in the back yard in the neighborhood. At 25 yards from my Ultra Light Arms, it will fully penetrate rabbits from any angle and bury into fresh cedar a good 3/4". They are the best thing for vermin control near the house :)

HangFireW8
10-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Last fall i couldn't find .22 ammo anywhere, except Walmart had some cheap stuff called Thunderbolt made by Remington. I had just put a new barrel on my 10/22 and was hot to shoot it so i bought a brick.

I won't tell you it is the most accurate ammo I have (not real bad though) but it sure does penetrate through groundhogs from my deck, they seem to have a very hard lead bullet so I suspect that is the reason. I like it because I saw little or no expansion just basically straight through.

If you get the time it would be interesting what the velocity is on them and whatever tests you perform.

Be careful if you velocity test Thunderbolt. About a decade ago I had accuracy problems with them, tested over the crono a few and then had to stop for fear of taking out the crono.

Velocity was all over the place, and the ones hitting low on the 25Y target were doing so because they were going 500FPS slower than the rest.

Hopefully Remington has improved their stuff since then, but I refuse to buy Thunderbolt any more.

-HF

crawfobj
10-19-2010, 09:37 PM
I used the regular speed Colibri to introduce my 4 yr old son to his cricket rifle over the weekend. Set up some inflated balloons for him to shoot from a seated position in my lap and later standing. He had a blast, and it was a great way to get him started with the rifle without the distraction of the noise.

I picked up several bricks of the stuff years ago when Midway had it on clearance for something like $5 or $6/ BRICK. Wish I had bought all they had!

Buckshot
10-20-2010, 02:47 AM
............We had a bunch of crows move into the area for a few weeks. Over in the corner of the yard the wife has a birdbath. It's almost exactly 75' from the end of my workbench in the garage. After watching a few crows visit the birdbath I decided to keep an old Savage M84C and a box of Super Colibri's behind the bench.

I set a couple pop cans on the edge of the birdbath and rested the Savage across the bench vice. A friend had given me the rifle (probably bought it at Western Auto in the 50's !) and it has a cute little Crossman 4x (made in USA) scope on it that's pretty darn good. Didn't take liong to have it hitting center on the cans. Several days later I got my opportunity and hit a crow broadside. It swacked and basically just fell over off the far side.

The litle slug didn't have the juice to penetrate the wing with enough gusto remaining to make a clean kill, as the crow was in dire straits but for sure wasn't dead. A shot to the head at 4" took care of it. A shot to the chest will do it, but not broadside!

...............Buckshot

Iowa Fox
10-23-2010, 11:59 PM
The rimfire Colibri's and Super Colibri's are fun for sure. Since we are casters here the Lyman 358093 and the 429303 make very quiet, fun, pointy centerfire Colibri's.

Ilwil
12-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Colibris' are great. Out of a Winchester 69 they are so quiet the bullet impact is louder than the report. My grandsons did their first shotting with them in my back yard, One caution though; because of their low velocity, they will ricochet easily off flat ground.

Trapaddict
01-08-2011, 01:13 AM
I have yet to have a super Colibri stay inside of a Pine Squirrel from any angle from my Ruger 77/22. They will go from rooter to tooter with a center chest hit so I can't see why it did not completely penetrate that crow. As others have stated here, the round is perfect for urban warfare on any number of undesireable four legged intruders.

Jeff