PDA

View Full Version : .577-450 from .24ga brass

camerl2009
09-20-2010, 01:35 AM
.577-450 MH case forming im looking at forming from 24ga magtch shotshells
but i want to use my lee sizing die i dont want to spend the money for a case forming die.

AkMike
09-20-2010, 01:45 AM
Just remember that the shotty shells are a semi-ballon head, not a solid!! Make sure you anneal the brass well before playing with them.

wellfedirishman
09-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Jamison brass sells very good 577-450 brass, search for their website or look on Gunbroker. I picked up some brass from them when Midway used to carry it and it shoots great.

It's probably a lot easier to just buy it than go through the hassle of making it.

There is a good article on Surplusrifle.com on this topic:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles2008/loadingforthemartinihenry/index.asp
(http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles2008/loadingforthemartinihenry/index.asp)

camerl2009
09-20-2010, 04:13 AM
i can get preformed brass for the .577-450 for $3.85 each
but im only going to use that for hunting

i want a cheaper way to get brass for shooting targets
and at $65 for 20 vs $24.49 for 25

The Double D
09-20-2010, 10:50 AM
There is a learning curve...suggest you contact RichardWV on British Militaria and Gunboards.com for instruction on forming brass from the CBC brass. I doubt any one has formed as many Martini cases as he has.

That surplus rifle article leaves a lot to be desired.

elk hunter
09-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I've not tried to form 577-450 cases, but I'll bet it wont be easy. Without a proper set of forming dies I foresee lots of wrinkled and dented and possibly collapsed cases. I always thought that if I ever acquired one, I'd turn cases from brass bar stock with a small powder chamber for smokeless and a ledge inside the neck for the bullet to seat against.

Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure, but I've done a fair amount of case forming and I just don't think it will be easy to do.

If you proceed, I for one would like to know how this works out for you as I would like to acquire a nice 577-450 some day.

mtnman31
09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
It is easy to do you just need to exercise A LOT of patience. First, you MUST anneal the cases. When using the Lee dies to form, slow is the key to success. You can't just ram the case up into the die and expect a shiny new MH case to emerge. You need to use lots of case lube and go in small steps. It may take anywhere from 25-50 passes to form the case without wrinkling it.

If you have not already read this article, I highly suggest it. I follwed the author's footsteps and have had zero problems. Pay special attention to the authors advice on going slow, making many passes, and spreading the lube around after each pass.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles2008/loadingforthemartinihenry/index.asp

My first go at it, I wrinkled six cases out of a box of 25. Second box I only wrinkled one case. No big deal becasue I ended up trimming them down to use in the .577 Snider. Also, as someone else mentioned, these are balloon head cses so I personally would only use black powder in them. Keep them at black powder pressure levels and they are totally safe. Others have said that you can blow a gun up using these cases. Hogwash, if someone has actually blown one up I highly doubt they were loading BP and following all the normal reloading guidelines for safe loading of black powder. Think about it, some of the original MH cases were rolled foil... Not that most people are out there hot-rodding the Martini-Henry anyway. Having said that, you need to be certain that your Martini is safe to shoot in the first place. I have seen one witha a few with a loose barrel and others that just didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Good luck with it, don't worry, it easy and works like a charm.

The Double D
09-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Like said contact Richard WV for guidance on forming cases. It does take patience but it doesn't take 20- 25 passes.

dromia
09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Like said contact Richard WV for guidance on forming cases. It does take patience but it doesn't take 20- 25 passes.

Douglas is giving very sound advice.