PDA

View Full Version : New lube concoction

Ohio Rusty
09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
I spent the afternoon cleaning the basement. I tore out an old shelving unit and table that was in the house when I bought it. On the top shelf I found 3 toilet wax rings I forgot about. I'm not sure what petroleum products are in those, but it was soft and sticky. Later I put into my lube melter (a common desk coffee cup warmer with a stainless one cup measuring cup) approx 25% wax ring wax, 25% JPW and 50% beeswax. again these are approx amounts. After 10 minutes all was melted together. I let the lube cool until it was a soft solid and finger lubed some boolits to see what the lube is like after it ages for a day or two. Tomorrow when I get home from work I'll check the boolits to see if the lube is still a bit soft, if it stays well in the grooves.

I pan lube and use a 'Kake Kutter' to cut the boolits from the pan of lube. I'm anxious next to try pan lubing to see how well the boolits cut out of the lube, and how well the boolits push thru with out cutting them out. It will be interesting so see how my new concoction works out. The last time I used a beeswax/JPW mix, and the lube was too hard, and was difficult to get the boolits out of the lube block.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Johnch
09-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I have used a lot of "wax" rings for lube
But I mixed mine with Lithuim grease and some paraffin to harden the lube

As the toilit wax stays sticky

Have fun and post the results

John

cajun shooter
09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Rusty, Your mix has been made by many of the users of this forum with different amounts and so on. I think there are no less than thousands of lube recipes that have been tried by members. The problem with yours is that it will be a non repeatable mix as you don't know the manufacturer of the toilet rings nor the make up of them. If it turns out to work for you I hope you will find those rings close by. Good Luck David

Ohio Rusty
09-22-2010, 06:05 AM
The ring is in it's box. It is made by 'Gunk', and it's a gunk brand 'Kant-Leak' ring. The lube worked out well. It stayed on the boolit, and after running the boolit thru the sizer, the lube stayed in the grooves without cracking out, and the boolit feels slick still. I'm looking forward to shooting some of them to see how they work out. And you are right there has probably been a thousand different lubes, and trying what I have on hand doesn't cost hardly anything to experiment.
Ohio Rusty ><>