PDA

View Full Version : New Lee 6 cav 'clicks' shut, sprue handle falls off

CiDirkona
09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
I got a new 6 cav 120 tc grease groove mold. After the steep learning curve for realizing it has to be VERY warm before it'll cut the sprue nicely (assisted by a hot plate...) I was casting some nice bullets -- and A LOT of them!

Two issues became abundantly clear though...

One issue is that the mold 'clicks' shut. The locking pin closest to the handle doesn't close all the way, leaving a 1mm gap. If I squeezed a bit harder, it'd close with a little 'click.' It got stuck opening up a few times as well, but a little shake would usually free it right up. What's going on? How do I fix it?

Secondly, the wooden sprue handle falls off -- slides off the end of the lever. Should I just use some JB Weld or superglue on it to get it to stay?

Thanks in advance!

Heavy lead
09-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Yup, JB Weld, I never use any Lee handles or moulds without glueing them on first. As far as the click, maybe lightly sand the pin after taking off the handles and fit it in.
Sounds like a keeper mould, proceed with caution.

excess650
09-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Lubing the pins will help. I've been using Bull Plate and highly recommend it.

Use high temp RTV (high tem silicone) in the handles to keep them in place.

cajun shooter
09-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Every Lee mold that I have ever owned I 've had to do the following to make them work.
First you need a Dremel tool to use the polishing rubber tips. The inside of the holes need to be polished out and also the pins so that they go together without any problem. That is the clicking you hear as the alignment pins come together.
The next is to make a batch of JB Weld and put it in all the handles and then press them back on. Make sure you put them the same as when they came off. You should not have to squeeze the handles hard or you will cause bigger problems.

Treeman
09-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Personally I like it when the sprue handle falls off. I put it in the mold parts drawer and proceed using my preferred method of cutting sprues-whack the sprue lever with a rawhide mallet.

Dale53
09-22-2010, 11:53 PM
I have tried several different ways of fixing loose handles. They need to be fixed RIGHT NOW, to avoid breaking them. My preference is to buy a bag of roll pins (also called tension pins). The 3/32" X 1" size works for all handles. Then drill right through the ferrule (clear through to the other side) with a 3/32nd drill and drive the roll pin flush. Then grind off the extra flush with the ferrule. It is a permanent, one time fix.

I do all three handles on Lee handles and both of the other brands.

Dale53

CiDirkona
09-23-2010, 02:09 AM
One reason I went with the 6 cav can style molds
is so that I can avoid swinging a stick in the close proximity to a pot full of burn scars...

I may have to try that roll pin idea!

cajun shooter
09-23-2010, 09:36 AM
The roll pin sounds great Dale and is a good fix for sure. I have JB Weld in huge bottles though and it has never failed. As they say more than one way to skin a cat!

Cherokee
09-23-2010, 07:52 PM
I used Gorilla Glue the last time the spru handle came off, stays on now.