PDA

View Full Version : Gew 98 in 8.15x46R

rikkit
09-19-2010, 08:48 PM
It started by finding a Gew98 barrel stamped 8.15x46R the bore was excellent and price was dirt cheap so I bought it, 2 years ago! Now I come across a Gew98 with a spiked barrel other wise in good shape, at a very reasonable price. I would like to put the 8.15 barrel to use on this action. Has anyone done a change out like this and were there any things I need to consider before attempting it? I will be getting help from someone who has done re-barreling work but never attempted this specific conversion. I would greatly appreciate any information.

ruger44
09-21-2010, 06:15 AM
[I]f I understand you . changing a bbl is easy all you need is a action wrench and a barrel vice. both you can get at midway of make the wrench . If the calibers are different then you need to check the bolt face and adjust. I have pulled several barrels and the Mauser is one of the easiest to do. Praise God

KCSO
09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
How do you intend to get the rimmed case to feed in a standard action? The rimmed round had a magazine like the siamese Mauser not the regular 98. Second problem is brass and loading dies for the rimmed case. The dies cost more thana good rifle and the cases are a coupple bucks each WHEN you can find them.

elk hunter
09-21-2010, 09:38 AM
All the 8.15 x 46 rifles I have read about were single shot for target shooting. There may have been some repeaters made for hunting, but I've never heard of one. That particular case shape looks like it would be difficult to get to feed from a Mauser magazine. It would make an excellent cast bullet round. If it were me, I'd make up a target/cast bullet rifle with set triggers and a good set of target sights and enjoy it.

rikkit
09-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Guys, thanks for the responses, I see that I need to add more info to my initial post.

We have the tools for the job an action wrench and a good strong vise, Holding a 30-30 cart. to the bolt it seems that we are going to have to open up the bolt and possibly modify the extractor. I am already loading 8.15x46r in a single shot drop block so the dies and forming brass from 30-30 is no problem. I was told that this was a fairly popular conversion in Germany before WWII I have seen two rifles that were "Bring Backs" they had a really nice modified rear sight that was windage adjustable, and yes they were setup for single shot reloading.

My concern is if the barrel has been short-chambered and if it might need a finishing reamer to complete the chamber. And of course I was wondering if there might be any more potential roadblocks that I might not be aware of.

Thanks again appreciate all your inputs.