PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor gave me 150lbs of lead

69daytona
09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
My neighbor just got a new AR so I made hime some J bullets to break it in with and when he came back from the range he brought me 150 lbs of lead weight that he used on his race car, Said he had another 50-80 lbs he will bring me when he comes back from vacation.
Anyone know what these are as far as lead content? they are 24" long by 4" wide and different thickness with even mounting holes in the center. I dont have a lead tester so dont know the BHN.
Also picked up 200 lbs of roof flashing for free.

Johnch
09-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Sounds like he gave you weights to bring a car up to max weight for a class

They might be anything they could find to smelt down

Do you have a way of checking your melt temp ?
If so ,cut a sample off and see what temp it melts at
There is a chart on http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm I believe that list melt temps

John

lwknight
09-19-2010, 04:30 PM
You are as in liken to a bandit. I'm happy for you anyway.
The weights could be anything but likely to be pure lead.

Philngruvy
09-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I would bet that they are a combination of stickon and clip on wheel weights. Alot of the tire shops around here use wheel weighs for their stock cars. Often, they will use a valve cover to cast the weights in.

mold maker
09-19-2010, 05:12 PM
I picked up several pieces that sound like that. They were very close to pure lead. I traded range scrap jackets and bad brass for them.
Don't try to cut them with an axe. Don't ask how I know. (Mine has several bad chips in its face.)
All my neighbors ever gave me was grief.

69daytona
09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I cut a chunk off the big race car weights and set them on a steel plate and started heating it with my oxy act torch while keeping my IR temp gun on it and it started melting around 620 degrees so by the Cast bullets notes it should be pure lead or close to it. That seems to work very good for all my 45 cal revolver HPs.
Thanks guys for the link that will come in very handy when I go to mix some of what I have for different hardnesses.