PDA

View Full Version : rifle loads lube

Good Cheer
09-18-2010, 10:00 PM
25, 7mm, 7.62, 8mm, 375, 45...

What do yall think is the best recipe using materials available at the hardware store and auto parts house?
Got plenty beeswax.

Shiloh
09-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Don't know about the homebrew lubes, but there is ample info on it for the above mentioned calibers. Felix Lube or a variant for sure. I'm a Larsen's BAC guy. I know that works for ALL the above mentioned.

Shiloh

sqlbullet
09-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Felix will definitely serve you well. The lanolin is sometimes a little tricky to find, so I sub mink oil instead. Make sure it is the Kiwi Camp Dry Mink Oil in the beige plastic tub. The others are mostly polish and wax with a little mink oil added.

geargnasher
09-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Go to an auto parts store and buy a 14-oz tube of Mystik JT-6 Multi-purpose grease. The amber stuff, NOT the stringy, super-duper red stuff that is so good for everything automotive but not so much for boolit lube.

Take your tube of grease and melt it together with an equal amount of beeswax, being careful not to scorch the beeswax or catch it on fire (poof point of bwax is around 300*F).

This will do just about anything you ask unless you get way past 2k fps in the 25 and 7mm.

Then it's time for Lar's Carnauba Red or Felix lube.

FYI, I use Felix lube almost exclusively, but it seems many people have trouble making it correctly so I hesitate to recommend it much anymore.

Gear

Good Cheer
09-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Gear. I make BP lube using beeswax, lanolin and olive oil. Got plenty beesax. Will go look for JT-6.

geargnasher
09-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Well, if you make BP lube, the MolyBee ought to be no trouble, just takes a little more heat.

Let us know how it works out. Glen Fryxell is the one who keeps reminding me what a good, simple, all-purpose lube that is, he does some impressive shooting with a similar formula, but IIRC he uses a moly grease of some sort.

Gear