PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Old Man

Finster101
09-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Well, an older friend of mine is beginning to get failing eyesight and does not do much shooting any more except for 357shotshells around the dock at Kentucky lake to control the snake population. He sent this to me the last trip my parents were there. We have been calling him the Old Man since he was 40 he's now 77. I grew up hunting and fishing with him and my Dad. I will be trading some of this stuff off as I only have a couple of rifles and there are bullits for several differnt calibers here. I need some help on the value of the M1 clips and bandolier. I am a newbie at this and will putting the press and sizer to use. Any observations would be appreciated. In the pic with the target, are those homemade powder measures?

James

Pressman
09-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Yes to the homemade powder scoops. A lot of older people made their own. Could be an interesting collecting field if someone wanted to persue it.
It looks like you have several older bullet boxes, those are growing in value also. Don't shoot'em up.
Ken

Finster101
09-18-2010, 09:40 PM
I know everything is at least 30 - 35 years old.

RobS
09-18-2010, 11:21 PM
I have to say that sometimes things given to a person can spark the frenzy and then you could become hooked which begins the "process". Cast, reload, shoot.............cast, reload, shoot...................and on and on and on.

It's fun though :)

cajun shooter
09-19-2010, 12:24 PM
It appers that he had a M1 Garand as that is ammo and clips for one. I also see what looks like an old Lee pan lube kit. I would be interested in it if you decide to sell it. You do as was stated by pressman have a few old boxes that might be worth something. That was very nice of him to think enough about you to leave you these shooting supplies.

Cord
09-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Far in the background of picture three, I see a yellow and red Super-Vel box
that looks to be for a revolver caliber - that is a very collectible box, also the
fired cases with a Super-Vel headstamp.

That single cavity Lee mould might be worth more than you think, some
long-discontinued styles like .41 and .44 wadcutters will bring strong interest
and considerably more $ than a new Lee.

hoosierlogger
09-19-2010, 01:58 PM
get a die set for .357 and load him up some shot shells with the CCI capsules as a token of your appreciation. I am sure he will be more than flattered that you loaded them on the press he gave you. People like that are getting harder and harder to find.

RP
09-19-2010, 02:44 PM
A older fellow helped me out with his reloading stuff after he lost his eyesight still using most of the stuff he gave me. He lives next door to me and if i get a new gun I have to carry it over and he fondles it and tells me what he thinks it is and how the trigger feels. He cant see at all now but still loves guns its dont sound like much but it makes his day small thing to do for his kind act.

WILCO
09-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I will be trading some of this stuff off as I only have a couple of rifles and there are bullits for several differnt calibers here.

If it we're me, I'd save everything and trade off nothing, whether you need it or not. Seems a bit disrespectful to not see the real value of such gifts. There are items in my collection of things I'll probably never use, but have kept for sheer reasons of sentiment.
Try starting with a letter or phone call of thanks and maybe send a picture of an item or two in a place of prominence on the reloading bench. Just my unsolicited .02. [smilie=s:

Finster101
09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Wilco, you are absolutely correct. I have thanked him several times. There is a set of .38 special and .357 dies. I had intened for my first project to be a large batch of .357 shot shells. The only thing I had intended to trade were some of the bullits in calibers that I do not have, but now I don't think I will do that. It is a Super-vel box about half full of primed cases. The single cavity mold is a .38 wadcutter, 158 gr I think. I appreciate all the help and comments. I had no idea about the older bullits and boxes. Most of them are full a couple still sealed. As time permits I will clean up and inventory everything and post it up for ID cause just being honest I know nothing about it.

Combat Diver
09-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Your bandoleer looks like M80 7.62x51 ball on 5 rd stripper clips. .30 cal for the 1903 Springfield/1917 had brass strippers, yours is parked as current 7.62 strippers are. The linked ammo is .30 cal (30-06) blanks on links for a M1919 series machine gun. Looks like some .30 Carbine ammo and some 7.62x54R. Ammo in the M1 en bloc clips appear to be M2 ammo (150 gr FMJ) as the tips are plain. New clips are about .50-1.00 ea.

elk hunter
09-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Reading this post made me stop and ponder what to do about all my stuff if I decline to a point that I can't use it any more. Hmm, got to think about this a bit more.

HORNET
09-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Good press, lubri-sizer, dies and trickler. Some of those J-word bullets are older than me but still usable. The old Lee pan-lube kits come in handy for lube experiments sometimes. He gave you some pretty good stuff.
Not quite sure why the box says to store cat 48 in the freezer...:kidding:

acemedic13
09-20-2010, 05:47 PM
A bunch of very cool old timers ( no offense brothers) from this site sent me a lubri sizer just like that one. I would never part with it for any amount of money or trade it for any piece of gear. My son will lubing his 30-30 boolits and 44 mag boolits until his kids get it.

When a gun person gives you something like that, they gave you a piece of themself. Not just a bunch of stuff. We all know what these things mean to us. These are the things that we would only part with to our children, or a very good friend. This stuff means that much to us. It represents who we are and what were about. Other people would not and could not understand the good times and meaningful relationships that surround our times on the range, hunting, and reloading. Not to mention the times shared just BS'ing about boolits, bullets, and the trips/adventures we got into using them.

Keep it all bro, part with nothing unless its to another gun person who needs it more than you do and will appreciate the original owner and how you came upon it....Just me and my sentimental ****...Take it for what you paid for it......