PDA

View Full Version : Beagling.

JeffinNZ
09-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Team.

I have some 0.001 brass shim I want to attach to my 225462 to open it up a tad.

How do I attach the brass to the mould? High temp glue? Solder?

beagle
09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Jeff, the stuff we're using already comes with adhesive. Look around for some air conditioning aluminum duct tape if you can find it. If not, lay on a layer of duct tape, get it hot and peel it off. Enough of the adhesive may remain to stick your shim stock in place.

I'd say any adhesive that breaks down under heat will work. You might get a mess and it might have to be replaced often but it should work./beagle

MtGun44
09-20-2010, 01:27 AM
If you bend the shim to an "L", you may be able to put the adhesive on the outside surface
of a mold block, which should be a bit cooler and may increase the life of the glue. Solder
may work well, too on the outside.

Beagle is THE expert.

JeffinNZ
09-20-2010, 04:56 AM
Thanks guys. I have some RTV I will try also.

beagle
09-20-2010, 08:57 PM
The L idea sounds good. If you have enough, you could attach it with a washer and the handle screws if outside adhesive don't work./beagle

sundog
09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Jeff, why does it need to be attached? Just trying to think with no 'box' getting in the way - you know 'think outside the box'?

Cut your shim in a "C" or "U" shape to fit around the cavities, but long enough to stick out the bottom so that it can be held. Hold it in place, shut the mould, and voila. Pour, open the sprue plate, tap the handle hinge pin and out come the boolits and the shim falls on the towel. Pick up the shim, place it back in the mould, and repeat. If it works make 2 shims and alternate so one is always cool enough to pick up bare finger.

MtGun44
09-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Sundog is a lot more patient than I am! That routine would drive me nuts in about
5 minutes. I'm sure it would work fine, but it would not be for me.

Bill

chboats
09-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Taking what sundog suggested a step further. I cut a long strip that was narrow enough in the center to lay in the handle grove and rap aroung the ends of the blocks to the mold face on both sides. I put a small amount of high temp RTV on the sides to the blocks to hold it in place. Have used it for a couple thousand boolits.

Carl

dragonrider
09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
A small dab of hight temp RTV between shim and mold face when cold then clamp mold halves together tight to allow for cureing, I've never tried it but sound reasonable. Just a thought

RU shooter
09-21-2010, 03:51 PM
A small dab of hight temp RTV between shim and mold face when cold then clamp mold halves together tight to allow for cureing, I've never tried it but sound reasonable. Just a thought
This works well, Have one of mine done with high temp permatex and has not moved a bit.
A very small amount is all thats needed as more will ooze out and onto the blocks.

Tim