PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use this?

qajaq59
09-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I 've been told that this mixture will do a great job cleaning the barrel on the muzzle loader. I've always used soap and real hot water, so before I try this I thought I would ask.

1 bottle of alcohol

1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup of Murphy soap

RBak
09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
"Moose Milk" has been around for some time, same ingredients with variable mixture percentages.
Some swear by it, some swear at it. I've used it, used it a lot back in the early days and, to me it has been okay, possibly even better than most, but certainly 'okay' by most standards.

It seems that sooner or later every muzzleloader is going to try his hand at making a good, practical lube, that will give goos results and do it at a reasonable price.
It is all part of the game and gives one a better understanding of their own gun, because ya gotta shoot it to test it, and that is just as it should be.

Russ

idahoron
09-18-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't like real hot water due to flash rust. I use just warm to the touch to cool water in my blued barrels. My stainless barrels will get what ever I have. Ron

qajaq59
09-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll give it a try.

Ajax
09-19-2010, 08:57 AM
I have been using a ballistol water mix for about 7 years and it works great never tried moose milk.

Andy

roverboy
09-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I've never tried it, but sounds like it would be good. I have used 91% alcohol to clean and it worked pretty good. I've used bar soap pieces in hot water more than anything else.

flyingstick
09-19-2010, 02:01 PM
In the 80's I used Ivory Dishwashing liquid but now I just use warm water. I can't remember the last time I used a solvent. But wait...maybe that's whats wrong with my groups!!!

flyingstick
09-19-2010, 02:05 PM
qajaq59, I saw on one of your earlier post you were trying to get the REAL to shoot. If you don't mind me asking what kind of powder and loads are you using in your in-line? It is an in-line isn't it?

qajaq59
09-19-2010, 02:24 PM
qajaq59, I saw on one of your earlier post you were trying to get the REAL to shoot. If you don't mind me asking what kind of powder and loads are you using in your in-line? It is an in-line isn't it? The guys in here solved my accuracy problem with the in-line when they suggested I use wads. There's some smart guys hanging around in here. For which I am grateful.

The groups went from a horrible 13 inches on a good day to 5 shots touching at 50 yards and a 1.550 group at 100.The best load ended up at 80 grains of RS ffg, the wad, and strangely enough no lube on the Lee R.E.A.L. bullet. Why no lube worked better I have no idea?

I will be trying more powder, but unless it really improves over what I have now, I'll stick with this.

flyingstick
09-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks, I'll give the RS a try.

Tom W.
09-19-2010, 04:37 PM
I've used a few exotic mixtures over the years, but go back to hot water and Ivory soap, and gauze patches to clean with...

qajaq59
09-19-2010, 06:59 PM
and gauze patches to clean with... Hmmmm, I wonder if those would be cheaper then the gun cleaning patches? I think I'll check on that.

Maven
09-19-2010, 07:07 PM
1 bottle of alcohol

1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup of Murphy soap

qajaq59, That mixture is also known as Friendship Speed Juice. I use it for a quick clean-up at the range, but generally will use warm soapy water for a more thorough job at home. As for cleaning patches, go to your favorite fabric store and purchase a yard or two of 100% cotton flannel, cut it to suit and you'll have plenty of inexpensive patches. Btw, sometimes they'll have a close out or sale on a hideously colored or patterned flannel remnant, so be sure ask about it. Just make sure it's 100% cotton flannel.

felix
09-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Maven, I could not help myself. The listing of components, plus your naming the concoction, led me to one of my ol' time favorites..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvka3SSv9Y . ... felix

09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Hmmm? I always thought "moose milk" was a mixture of water and water soluble oil like Ballistol. The alcohol/peroxide/Murphy's potion works (I've heard it called different things but never moose milk). Also, alcohol works, soapy water works, non-ammonia Windex works, vinegar Windex/peroxide works, various combinations with Simple Green, etc., etc. and of course plain water works. The possible concoctions that work are endless. Probably, some better than others. I even heard of one BP shooter using ammonia- dunno about that one :roll:

At the range I use my moose milk (mixture of water and Ballistol). At home I use hot soapy water, rinse with hot fresh water, run dry patches while hot until bore is dry, spray bore with a volatile lube like WD40 or LPS-1, run a patch in and out a few time to distribute the volatile. All while the bore is at least warm. Re-assemble gun. Let gun come down to room temp. Put gun up. After shooting BP in any gun (ML or cartridge) no matter how it is cleaned, a week or two later I will run a tight patch with LPS-1 or CLP thru the bore. Without exception there is always a trace of residual oxidation gunk. After that I have stored BP guns for years without any further rust or oxidation. But, need it or not, shot or not, about once a year I run an oil (usually CLP) patch thru bores of all my guns.

waksupi
09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Felix, I was just thinking of John Lee Hooker last night. Thanks!

KCSO
09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't like the peroxide unless you are going to really oil it up several times afterword. Windex with VINEGAR does just as good and doesn't rust as much.

qajaq59
09-20-2010, 08:25 AM
qajaq59, That mixture is also known as Friendship Speed Juice. I use it for a quick clean-up at the range, Ok, I was at the range when someone told me about it. He did not specify that it was really for range clean up, but that is likely what he meant. And BP is kind of fun because there are so many variations in cleaning and lubing that a guy can experiment forever. I suspect I'll be shooting it for a long time.
Thanks all for helping out. Your time and effort is appreciated.

Geraldo
09-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Felix, I was just thinking of John Lee Hooker last night. Thanks!

Yet another reason I love this board...John Lee Hooker fans!

I just use hot tap water and Murphys to clean at home.

DIRT Farmer
09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
We called that Behers solution, I always carry a quart in my compition kit, never know how the water/ patch will be at the range. I also have a 20 ml injection bottle in my hunting bag for field cleaning or if I do a hunt/camp/hunt. Keep it in the brown bottle or the extra O2 molocule will leave and you have 1/3 water 1/3 achol 1/3 Murphys.