PDA

View Full Version : TluAmmo Primers...

BCB
09-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Just recieved some from Powder Valley...

I usually use CCI but they seem nearly impossible to get anymore...

So, I got some TruAmmo primers in Large Pistol, Large Pistol Magnum, and Small Pistol...

So far I have had approximately 25% misfires with the Large Pistol...

I thought maybe it was my Blackhawk as I lessened the hammer spring. I put the original hammer spring in it and it had the same problem...

So, I thought I would try them in my Super Redhawk 44 Magnum...

Not quite as many misfires, but they still occurred...

I have read mixed reviews on them, but now I can give a review, at least on the Large Pistol--stay away from them...

Hopefully the others won't be so lousy, but I ain't holding my breath...

Be warned...BCB

Johnch
09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I found Wolf primers to be a touch oversized compaired to US made primers
And The miss fires I was having went away when I seated the primers a touch deeper

Probely as deep as US made primers
But the Wolf primers took a fair amount of extra force to properly seat

As I understand it Wolf , Tula and maybe others are all made in the same plant in Russa
Just labled differently

John

09-19-2010, 12:20 AM
BCB,
I e-mailed Powder Valley, a few weeks ago, asking about the Tula primers, in an effort to circumvent the Internet false information mongers. The response was that Wolf and Tula primers are made in the same factory, outside Moscow.

I think you will be able to trace the problem back to not seating the primers to the proper depth. My Blackhawk's lightened hammer has never failed to ignite a Wolf primer. In fact, I use four types of Wolf primers and have never experienced a failure.

If you are priming with a press, that may be the source of your problem. I use a Lee hand primer and run a finger over every primer...the best test for correct seating depth.

cajun shooter
09-19-2010, 12:14 PM
If you shoot a stock gun then the Wolf primers will work. I have seen many mis-fires with modified guns used in SASS . I would not buy them as the supply of US primers are back to where you can buy them again.

GabbyM
09-19-2010, 06:52 PM
A primer pocket uniformer tool is what comes to mind here. Not some scratcher but a carbide cutter like Sinclair sells. Chuck it in a drill and go to it. Not in the progressive loader cycle I know.

I've been shooting the Russian primers for a few years now and have not had a misfire yet. they've all been small and large rifle. Have small pistol but have not got into them yet.

moptop
09-25-2010, 09:45 PM
I recently buy a brick of the TulAmmo large pistol primes for use in .45 ACP loads. I'm glad to hear the someone else is also having misfire problems too. I loaded these on the old Rock Chucker with it's little flippy thing on the front. I've always used CCI without any issues but Grafs was out at the time I placed my order but they had the Tul's in stock so I thought I'd try them.

I'll pay closer attention to the seating depth for now on and see if that makes any difference. If not you can bet that I won't buy the again.

Thanks for posting the info on them. Much appreciated.

donnis
01-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Glad to find some feedback on these. I've used wolf primers and have only had a few not go bang, but even a small % is annoying. Powder valley has free shipping/haz-mat which is tempting, but I guess I'm better off spending the money for better components.

Cowboy T
01-27-2011, 02:04 AM
I've used quite a few Wolf/Tula small pistol primers. Not one has failed to go bang for me yet.

And yes, Wolf and TulAmmo are merely US brand names for the primers made at the Murot factory in Russia.

mike in co
01-27-2011, 02:24 AM
read my lips...
operator error or gun issue.....

i'm just past 500,000 tula/wolf primers WITH NO ISSUES.

my guess is you did not seat them properly, or the gun is so finely tuned it can't handle the primers..........

no complaints..no issues, no misfires.no failure to fire....

the primers work and work so well that benchrest guys chase them down and use them in place of fed match primers...all the way back to 03/04 when the were sold as pmc primers.....

mike in co

mike in co
01-27-2011, 02:26 AM
I've used quite a few Wolf/Tula small pistol primers. Not one has failed to go bang for me yet.

And yes, Wolf and TulAmmo are merely US brand names for the primers made at the Murot factory in Russia.

muron apparatus factory.......tula/wolf/pmc....all from one factory.....

Buckshot
01-27-2011, 03:24 AM
............Ah yes, the Rooskie PMC primers. Graf & Son was closing them out and I managed to get 35,000 of'em at $56 per :-) Haven't had to dip into them yet. I was a bit skeptical but the salesman said the high power folks at Quantico spoke highly of them.

..............Buckshot

mike in co
01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
............Ah yes, the Rooskie PMC primers. Graf & Son was closing them out and I managed to get 35,000 of'em at $56 per :-) Haven't had to dip into them yet. I was a bit skeptical but the salesman said the high power folks at Quantico spoke highly of them.

..............Buckshot

highpower, palma, short range br, long range br........kinda hard to go wrong....

so has anyone tried them in lite cast boolit rifle loads ???/
i will eventually but not for a while...would be good to know how they comapre to rem 9 1/2's

mike in co

Freightman
01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Got a bunch of Tula small pistol primers, and so far a-ok I do seat my primers on the press with a Lee safety prime so the tight fit is not a issue, I have been using Wolf LPP for two years never had a FTF but as I said I seat with the press.

mike in co
01-27-2011, 07:34 PM
well don't know if this is what your term of light is but the wolf LR with 10 gr of reddot in the 3040 krag with the 31141 works just fine no missfires. 50 rds in a golf ball size group at 50 yds going to try and shrink that some yet this summer. steve k

exactly...thanks

BCB
01-27-2011, 07:39 PM
I cautiously ordered several thousand Tulammo primers from Powder Valley when I place a sizable, and efficient (money saving) order...

I now wish I would have purchased a whole bunch more of them in all sizes...

Mine have worked well...

I do know that they need set solidly in place. (See my 1st post as that was what I thought then, but I corrected the problem with a new setting stem in my Lee Auto Prime) But then, I guess all primers do...

I am going to make out another order and stock up on them. I still like CCI, but the price difference makes me begin to like Tulammo!...

Good-luck...BCB

donnis
01-27-2011, 08:03 PM
I would guess the problems I had were missing anvils. After loading several hundred 223 I found 2 anvils laying on the bench. These were from the 5.56 primers. I had one failure on the range trip, but still haven't pulled down the round to check. I'm not going to look for the other one in the ~300 loaded rounds.

I have noticed the cups seem harder and I really have to make sure to get them seated fully. I've shot around 500 LR in 45 acp out of a couple guns with no problems.

If you fellers are having good luck with them, I won't shy aware from them. I plenty now, but may order more just to get the free shipping on some powder I need.

mike in co
01-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I would guess the problems I had were missing anvils. After loading several hundred 223 I found 2 anvils laying on the bench. These were from the 5.56 primers. I had one failure on the range trip, but still haven't pulled down the round to check. I'm not going to look for the other one in the ~300 loaded rounds.

I have noticed the cups seem harder and I really have to make sure to get them seated fully. I've shot around 500 LR in 45 acp out of a couple guns with no problems.

If you fellers are having good luck with them, I won't shy aware from them. I plenty now, but may order more just to get the free shipping on some powder I need.

just how did the loose primers make it to the bench so the anvils could fall out ??

my primers don't sit loose anywhere...lee priming tool or dillon 100 rd tubes....
and no it aint loose anvils...tho someone dropped a primer once and then complained the anvil came out.
the single largest issue that has been identified with the russian/muron primers is:FAILURE TO SEAT PROPERLY.

mike in co

donnis
01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
One loose anvil is a mystery. Just found it laying on the bench. The other came out of the primer tray when I dumped it at the end of my loading session to put the few remaining back in their box. I checked the 10-20 I was putting away, but it didn't come from them. I now know that I need to visually inspect once they're all flipped in the tray before loading.

I won't claim to be perfect and may have contributed to the problem. Never had a problem with other primers, but it's not too hard to check these once they're all flipped in their tray now that I know I need to.