PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!! need 41 throat reamer

Bullshop
09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
My perty little Ruger 41 mag has a problem. It has .410" throats and a .412" groove barrel. It dont work so good this way. Theres lots of words some of you folks use to describe how bad it is but bein a Christian I cant use them so just fill in the blank with your favorite.
It shoots like __________ !
My Brownells master only shows 38, 44, and 45 cal.
I am willing to buy, borrow, rent, trade, or stand on my head and spit wooden nickles to get one. I know some of you 41 nuts has sumpin so how bout it?
BIC/BS

waksupi
09-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Pacific tool carries throating reamers, as do some other companies. They can generally be bought, or rented.

475/480
09-15-2006, 02:26 PM
I have the reamer only with 38,44,45 pilots.
If you buy the 41 pilot I will pay shipping and send the reamer to you in a USPS flatrate box,you send me some of your caselube (2 small bottles) with the reamer when you send it back to me .

Sean

Bullshop
09-15-2006, 02:39 PM
I have the reamer only with 38,44,45 pilots.
If you buy the 41 pilot I will pay shipping and send the reamer to you in a USPS flatrate box,you send me some of your caselube (2 small bottles) with the reamer when you send it back to me .

Sean
Sean
OK that sounds good, but are we talking about the same reamer? I need about a .412" to .413" throat reamer for the cylender not a forcing cone reamer. Are we on the same page?
I will likely have to do the cone too at some point but first I must deal with this problem.
Thanks
BIC/BS

475/480
09-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I will check it when I get home.It is a cylinder throat reamer but let me make sure .

Sean

45 2.1
09-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Excuse me please. I think you need a pilot for Bullshops existing throat as measured and the cylinder throat reamer that measures what you want to ream it to.

475/480
09-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Brain Fart :groner: ,obviously 45 2.1 is right.

Bullshop
09-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Now you has got me all confusled!!! How can a cylender throat reamer be for more than one caliber, or specific diameter???.
I cant seem to picture how it works with a pilot. At some point the pilot would have to be out while the cutter is still cutting.
Eather way if the pilot leads at .410" or trails at the reamed diameter there will be some point where the reamer is unguided.
Sombody that has done this please straighten me out.
BIC/BS

9.3X62AL
09-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Same question occurred to me as I began the reaming on the throats of my Ruger BisHawk x 45. What occurs is that the pilot guides the cutting surfaces most of the way, and to a point where the cutting surfaces have sufficient stability to keep things going straight as the cutting sequence ends and the pilot clears the old throat. Use LOTS of cutting oil.

Bullshop
09-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Up date
Just got return e-mail from Pasific Tool. Explained the deal to them and they says no problem, what you need is a .412" thraoting reamer. No mention of any pilot atol. Price is $66.00
Am I the only one with a bum 41 or does anyone else have this problem?
Chances are I wont need to do another gun so will anyone else want to use it?
Cant hardly believe I is the only one that got a Ruger 41 mag this way.
I has been lookin at the gun smith kit from Brownells to recut forcing cones in revolvers. Comes compleat with all facing cutters 11% and 18% cutters and pilots and dodads for all cals. Think I am gona get it cuz it can be used to upgrade any six gun that comes to BS acres, but me thinks the 412 throat reamer is a one time deal.
If anyone out there is not quite thrilled with your 41's performance slugg your cylinder and barrel and lets see what you got.
BIC/BS

Bullshop
09-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Same question occurred to me as I began the reaming on the throats of my Ruger BisHawk x 45. What occurs is that the pilot guides the cutting surfaces most of the way, and to a point where the cutting surfaces have sufficient stability to keep things going straight as the cutting sequence ends and the pilot clears the old throat. Use LOTS of cutting oil.
DA
Say Allen could ya tell me where you got the tool to do your 45?
BTW there's sumpin in the works with Buckshot about an old Win HP mold for the 25/20. Might be just the thing for that cranky Marlin of yours.
Tell him ta check his pm.
BIC/BS

9.3X62AL
09-16-2006, 12:06 AM
The 45 Colt/Ruger throat diameter problem was well-known, and there are a LOT of the throating reamers "out there". A board member loaned his tool to me.

One of the members on the Sixgunner/Leverguns site does throat reaming for a pretty reasonable price. I think he goes by "Cylindersmith" or a name like that.

Lloyd Smale
09-19-2006, 03:41 AM
try here Cas will set it up right for you http://cylindersmith.com/