PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1936 .32 Win Special

cwskirmisher
09-18-2010, 10:14 AM
I recently took my model 1936 out to test some handloaded boolits for the upcoming deer season. I also had a box if Winchester factory loads (32 Win Spl) in 170 gr silvertip.
The gun has a Lyman #56 aperture sight on the receiver (it was there when I acquired the gun) and the original front dovetailed sight. At some point, the original rear leaf sight was removed and a dovetail blank was installed. Every load I shot at 100 yards was 10-12" high, including the factory load, and the rear sight is as far down as it can go (it is sitting right on top of the receiver). The groups were OK, but I figured that my handloads are around 1250 fps and the factory load is somewhere in the 1500-1800 fps arena. So, I figured I have two choices - either reduce the handloads to a MV somewhere below 1100-1200fps and see if the boolit drops to the sights at 100 yards (doubtful it will drop that much), or find a higher front sight. I don't think lowering the MV is the right soluton - I am not sure how the boolits will perform on game much slower than 1200 fps. I went to my local smith, who ordered me a Marbles bead front sight that generally looks exactly like the original - but .570 tall, which is the tallest they sell. I am hoping that will get my groups down to the sights - after all I can always raise up the rear aperture if they go too low...
So. if I did my math correctly (sight radious is 22"), I need to raise my front sight .073 to get the bullet impact to drop 12"? The original front sight is .4375 tall, so that means I would need a front sight that is .510. I hope the .570 will work. The additional .060 should drop the bullet an additional 10" if the math works - giving me good adjustment range for the rear sight. That is if I did the math correctly.

Any other suggestions? I don't want to put a standard leaf rear sight on the gun as I really like the old Lyman aperture, and I really like this Marlin 1936 and want to take it afield.

jtaylor1960
09-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Sounds like you need the taller front sight.Most of my levers have a very tall sight.I have a 336 32spl. from 1950 I think and with the factory sights and my handloads it is about six or eight inches high at 50yds.I put a Williams peep on it but didn't shoot it yet.It is a wavy top and was never tapped and I want to keep it that way.It shoots cast bullets fairly well and I want to hunt with it if I get a chance.

NVcurmudgeon
09-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Any other suggestions? I don't want to put a standard leaf rear sight on the gun as I really like the old Lyman aperture, and I really like this Marlin 1936 and want to take it afield.

Search "Skinner Sights." Skinner makes a barrel mounted dovetail sight that is a plain post .050" wide ( like an issue 1903 Springfield) and PLENTY tall for filing down. They also have ramp mounted front sights and a very well made rear aperture sight. I have the complete set on my Marlin 1894 CL, as well as a couple of ramp mounted front sights on other rifles. Quality is excellent and prices are surprisingly low.

excess650
09-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Your math sounds about right to me. If you're already bottomed out in the rear, going .06" beyond what you need for "zero" will require raising the rear sight .06". That will give you some latitude in case you want a 50 yard zero, or have a load that shoots to an appreciably different elevation.

I prefer to keep a receiver sight as low to the receiver as possible for a hunting rifle.

BTW, factory 32Spl ammo with 170gr jacketed had been spec'd at 2280fps. I would be surprised if they're not going at least 2000fps even from a 20" barrel.

beagle
09-18-2010, 09:05 PM
I've had to replace several front sight blades on my Marlins with cast bullet velocity loads. Brownell's has a dandy little chart listed with their sight blades but sounds like you've done the correct math./beagle