PDA

View Full Version : #2 Babbitt

Good Cheer
09-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Anybody ever used #2 babbitt for the tin content?

badgeredd
09-18-2010, 07:34 AM
YES!

I use it routinely at 5% of my alloy combining it with a 50/50 mix of WW/pure lead.
It makes a tough alloy that doesn't fracture easily. I use the mix both water dropped and air cooled for different applications.

Edd

codgerville@zianet.com
09-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes. I got my hands on several bars of tin-based Babbitt years ago. I use it sparingly to sweeten alloy to get better fill-out. Used too much when I first started, and caused some leading, as too much tin is as bad as not enough.

Armorer
09-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Good Cheer, I just lucked into a bit of #4 recently and everyone told me it works great. On another note, are you having any luck finding WW in yer neck of the woods? The guy I used to get them from in Liberty said he is selling them to someone now, and none of the places in Dayton will give em up. I don't run across many casters from around here so when I do I tend to try and pick their brains for things I have overlooked.

Armorer

sljacob
09-18-2010, 08:39 PM
scrap #4 babbit is avaiable from my work, I have used it to some extent mixed with pure pb, however I still needed to add some tin after watering down the high sb content

Good Cheer
09-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Good Cheer, I just lucked into a bit of #4 recently and everyone told me it works great. On another note, are you having any luck finding WW in yer neck of the woods? The guy I used to get them from in Liberty said he is selling them to someone now, and none of the places in Dayton will give em up. I don't run across many casters from around here so when I do I tend to try and pick their brains for things I have overlooked.

Armorer

Hey there Armorer.
Last batch I got was out of Beaumont.

Armorer
09-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Last batch I got was out of Beaumont.

Ah well, I don't get that far East as much as I used to. I'll keep lookin though. Thanks.