PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Antelope of the year on the ground.

DanWalker
09-18-2010, 02:21 AM
Took the shortguns out hunting today. Tried several stalks before getting in good on a herd, just before sundown. I picked put a big doe, standing broadside to me and ranged her at 110 yards.
I was sitting with my wrists braced between my knees and had what felt to be a very stable position. At the shot, the herd ran over a ridge, and she followed them. She was hunched up and we both had heard the boolit hit her.
We ran over to where we saw them go over the ridge and saw her laying down, about 75 yards away. She got up when she saw us, and I was unsure as to the quality of my hit, so I shot her again. Instead of putting her down, it seemed to have the opposite effect. She went on a stumbling tumbling run, with me shooting at her, for about 50 yards and stopped again. I was pretty rattled and missed her twice more before sending 2 more shots into her. She was trying to get up when my last shot connected and put her down for good.
We were losing light fast, so a detailed autopsy wasn't performed. I was really shocked when I got her skinned, hanging in my garage. My first shot had hit right behind her shoulder, but a bit low, breaking her elbow, and exiting low behind the far shoulder. This was a fatal wound, but I pushed her, instead of giving her time to just lay down and die. The other 3 shots were all lethal wounds as well. One of them was a hard quartering away shot that penetrated through her femur, and wound up under the skin behind the far shoulder. The finisher was also a quartering shot, and blew an entrance wound big enough to stick 3 fingers into.
For those interested, I was shooting my 5.5" ruger blackhawk 45 Colt. The load was 18.5 grains of 2400 under a 454424 SWC that has had a cramer HP conversion done to it.
I took a pic while waiting for my bud to make it back with the truck. unfortunately it's a crappy cellphone pic in fading light, but it's all i have. I'll post a pic of the recovered boolit tomorrow if I get the chance.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/RUGERGOAT21010.jpg

JJC
09-18-2010, 02:39 AM
Nice work

dk17hmr
09-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Nicely done Dan. Looks like antelope chilli when I come up there this winter for some coyote hunting.

Sometimes they dont know they are dead.

The 2nd antelope my brother shot also took a few shots before she didnt get up again. First shot was low in the chest second one was a bit high in the chest with the 300 whisper, both killing shot, and a 3rd shot anchored her with my 243 SRC.....we were loosing light quickly and she was heading the other directions from the truck, we needed to get 2 antelope gutted and skinned that night so I put one shot into it with the 243SRC and she hit the ground.

white eagle
09-18-2010, 02:40 PM
very nice darn nice shootin
I for one would be interested in seeing the recovered boolits

gon2shoot
09-18-2010, 07:52 PM
So ya got excited and tore up more meat huh? lol good shootin

Thumbcocker
09-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Nice shooting. I soo want to party with you!

outdoorfan
09-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Dan,

Good shootin & congrats! Now, what was the alloy & bhn? Also, I'm trying to find a picture or description of your HP depth, width....

DanWalker
09-19-2010, 02:54 AM
Sometimes they dont know they are dead.
Aint that the TRUTH! I'm continually impressed by the toughness of these animals. Hit them correctly when they're calm and relaxed, and a 243 will just flatten them. Get them wound up and wounded and a 35 whelen will struggle to put them down!
If I would've just waited a minute instead of chasing after her, she would've never got up from my first shot. I have only been handgun hunting big game for a handful of years now, and struggle to shrug off the riflemans mentality. I've come to believe that handgun shots should be treated like bow shots. If they don't drop on the spot, just watch them and give them a minute or so to bleed out, especially when cast boolits are used.
Here's a couple pics of the boolit I recovered, sitting next to a pristine one for comparison.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2254.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2253.jpg
The alloy I cast with is approximately 50/50 WW and pure lead.
My LEE hardness tester puts it around 10-11BHN

roverboy
09-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Have you weighed the recovered bullet? I was just curious to see what it weighed.

outdoorfan
09-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Must have been the extreme angle of entry (and maybe hitting the bone) that caused the lack of uniformity in the expansion of that particular boolit. I suppose the more broadside shots probably blew the nose right off. Just curious, have you tested those boolits in water jugs?

DanWalker
09-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Recovered boolit weighed 225 grains. As cast, they weigh 250.
I have fired them into water jugs. Expansion at 1050fps was quite evident but penetration was still good. At 1500 fps from my levergun, they turn into bombs.

roverboy
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Recovered boolit weighed 225 grains. As cast, they weigh 250.
I have fired them into water jugs. Expansion at 1050fps was quite evident but penetration was still good. At 1500 fps from my levergun, they turn into bombs.

Have you tried them on Antelope out of the Lever? I like that bullet a lot.

DanWalker
09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I haven't used them from my levergun on antelope. I think my alloy is too soft for those speeds. I imagine i could water drop them and toughen them up and they'd be great.

TCLouis
09-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Congrats, sure beats sitting at home watching TV!

Are you getting about 1150-1200 at the muzzle with that load?

DanWalker
09-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Getting around 1080fps with this load from the 5.5" barrel of my blackhawk, and 1500fps from the 16" barrel of my win 94 trapper carbine.

Hardcast416taylor
09-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Mix some ground antelope with pork sausage for a breakfast sausage you can`t believe. Nice shooting just the same for the distance with a 5 1/2" barrel.Robert