PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question how accurate for pig shooting??

barrabruce
09-18-2010, 02:07 AM
O.k my dumb question for the month.
For pigs and goats what sort of accuracy does one need for a quick kill.
I don't won't the ..depends on the size of the pig nor other such muck.
As a general rule yeah as long as you can hit 'em in the right spot.answers..HaHaa

For wabbits I'd say as far as you can hit them in the head....about match box size.
About double that for a upper body shoulder neck area shot.

What's a good rough guide for pigs???

Rule of thumb......As long as you can place the shot into 4" cirlce ...maybe 2" ????

Thanks just trying to get a good working accuracy to achieve.

Be 30 cal.

Barra

redriverhunter
09-18-2010, 02:25 AM
there has been alot of discussion about killing pigs I got at about 30 yard with a 30.30 with a hornandy 150 gn round nose behind the shoulder. as ffor how much room for error i have no idea but i found this link to be helpful good luck
http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

JJC
09-18-2010, 02:31 AM
That is a good site. My experience is keep your shot tight behind the leg lower third of the body. If to far back you will more or less gut shoot it. The vitals are foward a bit compare to deer. You probably ok with 4" circle there abouts

barrabruce
09-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks..I have come across that thread before but alas it is hard to tell how much give and take you got from the photos.

I understand the geomeroty of the situation its the size I need most.

If I can lob me bullets in 4" circle or less then in a hunting situation then it should be good to go then..all things considered.

Thanks
Barra
I have now a ballpark figure to achieve.

reloader28
09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
It says "shots behind the shoulder wont hit the heart or lungs".

I disagree with that. I've only shot 1 russian boar, but when I put the 30/30 bullet about 2" behind the shoulder, I hit the lungs almost centered. He was standing broadside taking a drink and didnt have his leg forward.

But then it seems that some people think you have to shoot a deer in the shoulder to hit an organ too. Behind the shoulder 2/3 down the body dead centers the heart/ lung.

I think the organs are always in a different spot in a standing live animal compared to a dead one laying on its side with relaxed muscles. Sure seems like it anyways.

Fenring
09-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Depends on the type of terrain and how you are hunting them. Most pigs I shoot are in tallish grass, scrub or timbered country and are on the run. I do most of my pig shooting from a motorbike (search, find or flush and then shoot - sometimes this involves a chase)

Under these conditions you need to be fast, and get a shot somewhere on the pig, preferably up the front end, before it disappears into cover. Sometimes there will be a Texas heart shot, often there will be angling shots.

Shots are often close, a 50 metre shot is longish and there can be multiple targets. I use a Ruger 96/44 with a 1.75-4X scope with a "circle X" reticle and it's fast into action and hits pretty hard close up with 275gr cast HP's or 315gr cast flat points.

IMO if you can put your shots into a 2-3" circle at 50m then you are good to go if you are hunting in scrubby country.

I like to practice snap shooting, and have a few 5" steel plates that I set up at different ranges and smash as quick as I can.

Larry Gibson
09-18-2010, 11:22 AM
barrabruce

I like my rifle cast bullet hunting loads to give a maximum of 4" groups (5 shots after 2 -3 foulers and then from the cold barrel or from a cold clean barrel whichever the rifle likes) at 200 yards. I consider 200 yards to be a practical range limit with cast bullets that have muzzle velocities of 1900 to 2200 fps. This affords plenty of accuracy for hunting and enough retained velocity to ensure expanion with the softer alloys I use. I no longer take behind the should shots on any game animal unless it is quartering away. I always aim to put the bullet through the heart or right over the top of it (major vessals and arteries there). This includes pigs. 311041 has worked very well for me out of several .30 cal cartridges.

Larry Gibson

BD
09-18-2010, 12:41 PM
If you can keep them in 6" you can kill pigs. There's some confusion due IMHO to the differences between feral pigs from European boar stock which have bigger lungs, (evolved from pigs that run to save their lives), and feral pigs from US domestic stock, (evolved from pigs that never ran anywhere and were bred for bacon rather than survival), which typically have relatively small lungs which sit kind of vertical behind the legs. All feral pigs interbreed and I'm sure there's plenty of variations out there.

The other differences to note is that a pigs spine dips down forward of the shoulders so it's lower than you'd expect forward of the legs. Pigs are rooters and have big neck muscles above the spine, so effective neck shots are lower or farther up toward the head than you'd think, but they work well to stop them. The real iffy shot is head on. But, if I'm on the ground and the pig's coming at me, I always give it a go. I've killed more pigs with a .44 mag revolver than anything else. Here in the low country they're typically in the thick stuff and swamps along the river. Still hunting into the wind can result in suddenly finding yourself in the middle of a bunch of pigs laid up for the day. That's when it gets interesting. Shots are from 0 to 30 yards or so. If you're hunting for meat it's a lot more productive to put out bait and shoot from a tree stand so you can pick your targets. Big boars can be pretty rank. I like the ones that'll fit on the grill whole.

BD

barrabruce
09-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Thank-you for your insights.

5" swinging target or bowling pins could be fun for snap shooting practice.

I have fun at the range trying to get this this cast stuff up to specs.

I would be limited to 100 -140yrds or so at he moment but I live in rainforest and sugar cane country.

Hmm I should be practising my snap shooting with my single shot and getting a second shot in quick to.

I have been seriously thinking of attaching a bayonet to the muzzle or using one on a stick for a walking stick/sticker thing.

Come charge me you hoooha's

I'd be better off with a pile of bananas and laying back snoozing..I mean waiting for some to come along.

Considering the state of my health and legs at this time.
A night with the comforting hum of mozzies to keep me company.

Barra

Gee_Wizz01
09-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I have always figured that if you can hit a 6" circle at any given range, you can kill pigs. It has worked well for me with both pistols and rifles. The pigs we shoot are mostly Russian boar or their descendants. I try to shoot these pigs through the front legs about 1/3 rd the way up the body from the bottom of their chests. With this shot, a couple inches off in any direction usually ends in a dead pig. A head on shot, if I am standing, I usually aim right between the eyes. Too high hits them in the spine, too low usually takes their nose and lower jaw off and slows them down real good for another shot. At angles between broadside and head on, I try to visualize where the heart and lungs are located, and then put the bullet through that area. I usually use a 30-06 or a .45 Colt to hunt pigs with, and both do the job well.

G

lead Foot
09-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I come from the same school as Fenring. I have shot thousands of pigs and you need to get out there amoung them and get experienced. North Queensland is the home of the feral pig. If you are good you can shoot a pig with a 22lr to the biggest cannon. One of my pig guns is Savage 170 30/30 ~ shoots 2" @ 50meters off hand, with that I use 170gr LEE cast 50/50 ww / pure. Close up it drops em real good. Sound like you are young so go get em.
Lead foot;