PDA

View Full Version : Military Bore Cleaners

WineMan
09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
I am trying to compile a list of the bore cleaners and preservatives used by the major powers in WW1 and WW2. I have the usual suspects of USGI Bore Cleaner, Swiss Waffenfett grease. Hatcher's Notebook has a good chapter with Ammonia Dope, FA mixture, Polarized oils etc. He also mentions that the Japanese used Lanolin although the British had a product called Young's "303" Lamb's Wool Jelly in WW1 which I assume is a Lanolin product also there is a British product called Rangoon Gun Oil.

If anybody has more information and also if they know the ingredients that would be a great help. I am not trying to make any up, I just want to see how everyone dealt with corrosive priming etc.

Thanks in advance.

Wineman

wiljen
09-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Young's 303 is still around if you do some searching and is a somewhat water soluble mix that can be used to clean guns.

Rangoon oil is a whole nother animal. It was a heavy non-evaporating oil that was used more as a rust preventative than a cleaner. It did nothing to clean, but did a good bit to exclude moisture and thus prevent rust in hot humid conditions. If memory served the Brits designed it for use in Africa and India where heat and humidity ruined guns quick unless treated.