PDA

View Full Version : Gun Digest: Treasury vs Annuals

Typecaster
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm having a heck of time keeping my dad (99+) supplied with gun-related reading materials. I gave him the new Cartridges of the World, and even Hatcher's Notebook. He's gone through them, along with about 10 Gun Digest annuals. He's interested in the articles in the front more than what models were available that year. I just gave him subscriptions to Handloader and Rifle magazines, so he has something current coming every month, too.

Does anyone have any of the Gun Digest Treasuries? I've never seen one, so I don't know if I should look for those or just more of the individual yearly books.

Thanks for any help,

Richard

Bent Ramrod
09-18-2010, 01:12 AM
The Treasuries were very good up to Numbers 6 and 7, when they unaccountably began to include articles from previous Treasuries. Still not bad though, and I go in for those because I just don't have the room for all the Gun Digests.

You could also start him on Handloader's Digest, which has 17 editions or so since 1962. They do have products in them but the early ones are invaluable when it comes to identifying some of the old reloading stuff that turns up on occasion.

Bret4207
09-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Richard, not really germane to the subject at hand, but I'd give an awful lot to still have my Dad around. You are blessed.

82nd airborne
09-18-2010, 08:27 AM
What do the Germans have to do with anything, Bret?!?!?

NVcurmudgeon
09-18-2010, 12:50 PM
What do the Germans have to do with anything, Bret?!?!?

They only invented the rifle.

82nd airborne
09-18-2010, 01:50 PM
It was a joke, line from Smokey and the Bandit...Lame, I know.

Rockydog
09-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Typecaster, I have boxes of American Rifleman from the 1970's onward sorted and bound by year. You pay the postage they are yours. RD

Typecaster
09-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Rockydog, that's a very kind offer. I wasn't really soliciting anything, but I'll accept. Just let me know postage and I'll prepay.

Thanks,

Richard

c3d4b2
09-19-2010, 10:44 PM
I do not know if he has access to a computer or even if this might be helpful. On the off chance it might do you some good, here is a link to some E-books.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/12/history-historical-shooting-books.html

Here is also a link to an online magazine with some interesting information.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/

Typecaster
09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Unfortunately, there's no computer. We tried, but it didn't work out. Even if I set him up with DSL, his hearing is almost gone so I wouldn't be able to talk him through any problems real-time. It's a lot more complicated with him in Arizona and I'm in the LA area.

Richard