PDA

View Full Version : Lathe or mill for a new hobby machinist?

cheese1566
09-17-2010, 01:08 AM
I have wanted a basic mini-lathe and mini-mill for a long time and have recently started to look seriously and putting out the word of mouth in my area for a smaller lathe. I am now thinking maybe a mill would be more useful. I love tinkering and working on reloading equipment, presses, pistols.

I just want to start learning and experimenting with them, not expecting to jump into production of anything. Just make some shavings and try an occassional project or two. Build experience and skills that may lead to another trade after retirement in 17 years.

Which would be best to get first? Lathe or mill...
Just asking because of limited funds to start. I know tooling will be costly, but I'll have to accumulate as I go.
I see mill attachments are available for some lathes for limited milling. I am told to stay away from 3-1 machines, but those Grizzly's look so appealing!

WILCO
09-17-2010, 03:27 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/multipurpose-machine-5980.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-multipurpose-machine-with-micro-feed-44142.html

http://www.mini-lathe.com/mini_mill/versions/versions.htm

hickstick_10
09-17-2010, 03:30 AM
I vote lathe and il tell ya why.

While you may not "seem" as useful as a milling machine, a lathe is by far more versatile, cheaper to operate (as far as cutting tools go), quality used ones tend to be inexpensive and compact compared to a REAL milling machine (not those mill drill pieces of ****).

With a lathe you can make molds, re barrel old actions, machine sizing dies and the various accouterments, muzzle breaks.........list goes on.

AND you can cut pretty much any thread you can think of, make any replacement screw, firing pin or dowel you can imagine. Lathes don't only make round things .............With a mill you can make anything that isn't round, but good luck making something that is.

Final word i'd like to add is dont buy grizzly ****, unless its one of there higher end models. A good old belt drive southbend or the like with a backgear will be more lathe then you can master for a few years, quick change gearboxes are a HUGE plus.

The 3 in ones are more trouble then they are worth.

Dutchman
09-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Heed the advise about the mill-lathe combos. While they are functional they are also a lot like walking with a peg leg. You'll still get to where you're going but not near as fast or as well.

This is the least I would recommend in a small lathe. 8x14 Lathemaster. I did a lot of study on it a couple years ago and it's a darn good lathe.
http://www.lathemaster.com/LATHEMASTER8x14Lathe.htm

But by the time you get done it's not that far to the 12x36:
http://www.billstoolcrib.com/Lathbir1236.htm

Dutch

Gelandangan
09-17-2010, 04:52 AM
Buy lathe first!
most small milling can be done in lathe.

most gun jobs are done in lathe

bob208
09-17-2010, 06:22 AM
get the lathe first. i strrted with used craftsman badged atlas 12". sold that after i got my 14 1/2" south bend. then i picked up a clausing 8520 mill.

don't waste your money or time with a milldrill or a combo machine. if you have the room look at the larger floor model lathes like a used s-b 13"-16" they go cheaper because no one can get them in the celler. also a bigger machine is easier to learn on.

elk hunter
09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
A 12 x 36 lathe with a milling attachment will do for 99% of what you will want to do.

white eagle
09-17-2010, 12:08 PM
bridgeport then a hardinge southbend t/r lathe

deltaenterprizes
09-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Mill, much can be done in a mill and pins can be turned in a mill. There is a reason there are mills and lathes, mills do certain jobs better than lathes and lathes do certain jobs better than mills. One turns the work, the other turns the cutting tool.
Figure out what type of work you need the most and get the tool that will do those jobs.

badgeredd
09-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Mill, much can be done in a mill and pins can be turned in a mill. There is a reason there are mills and lathes, mills do certain jobs better than lathes and lathes do certain jobs better than mills. One turns the work, the other turns the cutting tool.
Figure out what type of work you need the most and get the tool that will do those jobs.

I voted mill, but a case can be made for either machine. A decent mill can be found for 1500 to 2000 while a decent lathe can be found for roughly half. By decent I mean a serviceable machine with a reasonable amount of wear and tear on it. As said above lathe tooling is generally cheaper for sure. So from a purely financial point of view a lathe will be cheaper. I felt a mill would be more useful to me so I so opted. NOW I have both and would love to find a surface grinder to round out my machines...along with a good horizontal saw and a quality upright band saw and..:veryconfu..I sense a problem here. ANYYWAY either one will get you started but please seek out someone who is fairly familiar with machine tools for advice before buying a used one. It'll save your money and headaches IMHO.

Edd

ricksplace
09-17-2010, 08:00 PM
I vote lathe and il tell ya why.

While you may not "seem" as useful as a milling machine, a lathe is by far more versatile, cheaper to operate (as far as cutting tools go), quality used ones tend to be inexpensive and compact compared to a REAL milling machine (not those mill drill pieces of ****).

With a lathe you can make molds, re barrel old actions, machine sizing dies and the various accouterments, muzzle breaks.........list goes on.

AND you can cut pretty much any thread you can think of, make any replacement screw, firing pin or dowel you can imagine. Lathes don't only make round things .............With a mill you can make anything that isn't round, but good luck making something that is.
Final word i'd like to add is dont buy grizzly ****, unless its one of there higher end models. A good old belt drive southbend or the like with a backgear will be more lathe then you can master for a few years, quick change gearboxes are a HUGE plus.

The 3 in ones are more trouble then they are worth.

+1
Warning: highly addictive hobby..

Marvin S
09-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Ill vote for Lathe, but by all means don't pass up a good mill if it comes first. Another usefull machine is a horizontal band saw for cutting blanks and such. Put that on the list also.

jmsj
09-17-2010, 08:55 PM
I voted for the lathe. They both have their place but I find that most of the projects I attempt concerning gunsmithing and casting are usually lathe projects.
I'll warn you, if you think bullet casting is an expensive hobby, wait till you start buying equipment and tooling.
jmsj

lathesmith
09-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Mmm, take a look at my avatar, and guess which one I voted for!

The only reasons you would even consider a 3n1 is: 1) You have space for only one machine and nothing else; or 2) A rich uncle passed on and left you one. Otherwise, get separates, you will be much happier. And, if 2) above is the case, then just bide your time until you can sell it off , and then get separates. Some pretty good advice from several posts above, especially about the addictive part!

lathesmith

Jon K
09-17-2010, 09:26 PM
BOTH....

You need both to complete most any job.

Rebarrel as mentioned....once turned and threaded how will you cut extractor slot?dovetails?etc.?

You NEED Both!

Jon

bigfoot
09-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I have a grizzly 3 in 1 works great but its not for building rocket ships, precision is there if you take your time. People will tell you, you are always changing it over from lathe to mill, yes but im not in that big of a hurry, fits my purpose and my price range, still make some nice things with it. If you are going to be a gun smith a 3 in 1 is not what you want, just my 2 cents worth
bigfoot

KCSO
09-17-2010, 11:47 PM
When I started I bought a Smithy combo unit and althought it got the job done it was tiresome. Every time I nned the lathe it was set up to mill and vice versa. I would get a good used lathe first and then go foe a mini mill. Logan, Atlas and other american made used lathes are available at prices competetive to the Smithy/Grizzly units and will hold their value forever. I wouldn't trade my little South Bend for 6 new Grizzly lathes and a truck load of tooling.

Char-Gar
09-18-2010, 11:26 PM
The lathe is the basic machine tool and the heart of a machine shop. With it most other tools can be produced.

Artful
09-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Now with many people having serious financial problems would be a good time to look for used Lathe of industrial quality, I had a cute little lathe and it was good for making a firing pin but you need a bigger unit to be able to rebarrel.

Buckshot
09-19-2010, 02:20 AM
..............The lathe didn't earn the title, "King of the machine shop" for no reason :-). So number 1 would be a lathe, number 2 would be a milling machine, and number 3 would be a surface grinder IMHO. If you talk to your friends about your interest you can 'network' like people did so much before the internet. There is still a ton of value in word of mouth. People know people who know people. I was offered a 6x18 K.O. Lee surface grinder for FREE, that needed a new motor but I had to pass as I had nowhere to put it. I had suggested to my wife once (and only once:oops:) that if we could move the washer, dryer, and the chest freezer out of the garage I could get a couple more machines in there [smilie=p: If she had her way, we'd actually park a car in there fer goshsakes!

.............Buckshot

cheese1566
09-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the input guys!

I went to the Black Hills Model Engineering Show yesterday.
http://www.blackhillsmodelengineeringshow.net/

All I can say is WOW! These guys have talent and skills. I learned a lot from these guys. All said a lathe to start, first learn the basics hands on from someone, then start making shavings and learn by doiing. I did find out there is a dealer close by that buys and sells used industrial machinery and gets smaller lathes from time to time.

I just gotta convince the warden of the house!

dnepr
09-19-2010, 01:02 PM
lots of good input here . as a person who bought a 3in1 machine to start I recomend against them , Dutchmans peg leg analogy is accurate. so definitly the lathe .

codgerville@zianet.com
09-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Buckshot, wimmen don't think like men do! They don't understand that a car has weather-proof paint on it and machine tools will rust if set up outside. I agree with the idea of getting the lathe FIRST. Mine is a 1946 South Bend 9x36 with taper attachment, collet set-up, quick change gear box, metric transposing gears a 70 tooth gear for cutting 15tpi, 30tpi, and others. I put a DC motor in it with variable speed control. Have a 7in. Atlas shaper, and also have a bench top mill. Mostly set for gunsmithing and making reloading stuff. Have threaded and chambered barrels up to 24" by using a steady rest.:-)

El Bango
02-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Get your lathe first and then if dollars are short pick up a decent drill press ,when you can graduate to a mill but keep the drillpress for fast and dirty drill jobs.