PDA

View Full Version : Overcooked wheel weights

splattersmith
09-16-2010, 09:15 PM
What happens when one way overcooks wheel weights when smelting? You see, a hundred or so nekked Playmates had an Easter egg hunt on my property and I forgot about the toasting wheel weights.

The lead looks gray and crystyline and doesn't pour very well. And, what would be the fix for such idiocy, if any?

geargnasher
09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
You aren't likely to overcook wheel weights, if it's grey and crystalline when melted the alloy likely is undercooked.

Gear

Springfield
09-16-2010, 09:30 PM
If you had a lot of zinc weights in there you may be in trouble, but I have had this happen. Just melt them down again and flux quite a bit to get them to behave again. Works for me. I don't know why, it just does.

fryboy
09-16-2010, 09:38 PM
i'm sure that they are toast , best let us dispose of the umm evidence for ya ...

worse case ? all the tin is oxidized , fluxin should fix it

even worser is the mentioned zinc thing

09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Zinc comtamination. Flux and skim till it's gone. You'll lose some good lead in the process, but you are now smarter.

Lesson learned: keep the heat down...don't become distracted from the job at hand...tell the Playmates to play elsewhere...

white eagle
09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Ya burnt da led !!!!

Doby45
09-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Mix in a buttload of sawdust and just keep stirring..

starbits
09-17-2010, 01:40 PM
You see, a hundred or so nekked Playmates had an Easter egg hunt on my property and I forgot about the toasting wheel weights.

Pictures!! How can we solve your problem without pictures, lots and lots of pictures [smilie=1:

Starbits

220swiftfn
09-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattersmith View Post
You see, a hundred or so nekked Playmates had an Easter egg hunt on my property and I forgot about the toasting wheel weights.
Pictures!! How can we solve your problem without pictures, lots and lots of pictures

Starbits

yep, and we'll have to see the lead too......

Dan

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-18-2010, 09:46 AM
If it's zinc contaminated, just trade/sell it to the fishin' weight casters.
Jon

splattersmith
09-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I thought it might cause zinc issues. I will fux the behop out of it with wood shavings, I have lost of that material.

And by gosh, I completely forgot I even owned a camera at the time. Double stupid.

mac1911
09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
you best have some of those "hunters" on film.

splattersmith
09-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Did a long session last night. It was horrible. The 20-1 Rotometals stuff was great at hand ladling. [Doing 500+g single 45s.] The overcooked WW from my bottom pour Lee were lousy.:x Inclusions, rough and wrinkled. I even emptied the pot and fully cleaned it. I heated the mould longer and longer on the hot plate but no glee.:x

Then ---:idea::idea::idea:-- I found the hot plate had changed into a warm plate. Stinkin' plate. It could have failed completely, but noooo, it wanted to torment me.

When I heated the mould to proper temp on the pot, happieness. The overcooked lead worked great. Beautiful boolits. :lovebooli Stupid boolit maker.

Anyway, there was no visable damage to the lead batch as you all suggested. Thanks all.

a.squibload
10-03-2010, 12:49 AM
And by gosh, I completely forgot I even owned a camera at the time.

It's just as well, modern cameras can get shorted out by drool...