PDA

View Full Version : Argentine or Chilean Mausers

Arisaka99
09-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I was talking to another forum member last night, when he told me that in sportsman's guide there were either argentine or chilean mausers for sale. I dont know very much about them if anything at all, so I would appreciate any input. They are 7x57 also. How much can be done to them, and how much are they worth. They are military guns, so I dont know the specifics, but if wayne smith would be so kind as to post the specifics for me I'd be much obliged.

Uncle Grinch
09-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I received a copy of their catalog the other day and they are Chilean small ring Mausers. While not quite as desirable as a large ring 98 Mauser, they are quite handy and can be a nice milsurp or sporter. Especially when kept to a reasonable chambering.

Sportsmans Guide prices are high, but some people will buy anyhow, Don't believe they mention bore condition, only that they are in full working order and are available as a complete rifle or barrelled action with some stock metal included.

Arisaka99
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
oh ok, thats good to know!!!! thanks

frkelly74
09-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Gander mountains have been having some of the Modelo Chileno 7mm Mausers that you can examine . That is where I got mine, Some were beat and some not so beat, Last price I was aware of was $250. If it's handy you should take a look..

atr
09-17-2010, 11:03 AM
If they were made in Germany and they will be stamped as such then they are generally a good buy.....but if not then you take your chances.....
the 7x57 is a great cartridge and the action themselves can be rebarreled, new trigger installed, drilled and tapped and bolt handle modfied,,,etc.

I have found that on rifles not manufactured in Germany, the throats were VERY long and that really seemed to affect accuracy as the bullet had a gap to jump before it entered the rifling.

Dschuttig
09-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Argentine Mausers should all be in 7.65x53 Argentine caliber...

Arisaka99
09-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok, I wasnt planning on buying one, but it would be nice.

Wayne Smith
09-19-2010, 06:28 PM
These are Chilean Mausers made by Lowe in Berlin in full military dress. Prices are high but I don't know of other availability of these very nice rifles.

Mine is much changed. I bought it partially worked on, the barrel was good with the original sights. I pulled those off, polished the barrel, put on a close on cocking kit and a two position safety, took it to my gunsmith to blue. I told him to heat blue the bolt shroud, the butterknife bolt handle I got from Brownells, and the trigger. To blue the rest. He bead blasted the action - to hard to polish. When he called he told me he hadn't completely done what I wanted. I got to the shop and he told me that he didn't heat blue the pieces as I asked - he said "I stopped at gold". He offered to change it to the way I wanted, I said no- his choice was better, especilly with a light blonde walnut stock which the original turned out to be. I refinished that. It has a rather nice trigger on it - I don't mind the two stage trigger. This one telegraphs well. It has a Leopold VariX II 3-9 on it in low mounts - so low that I can't open the action with the scope caps on it.

I've thought many times about getting a nicer stock for it, but why? The color is right and it handles well. Sure, it's clearly an old military stock cut down and a piece of Persimmon glued on to increase the LOP. But it don't look bad and it shoots nice.

Arisaka99
09-19-2010, 07:05 PM
yes it does, i just saw it today!!!