PDA

View Full Version : tel me why

canuck4570
09-16-2010, 01:03 PM
why don't the make bullet jacket out of aluminum
bullets would be less expensive?
why was I told that aluminum cleaning rod are bad for your bore?
and now the trend seem's to be aluminum GC!
and last how do you remove aluminum fowling from you bore?
please explain.....

winelover
09-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Winchester Silvertips were/are aluminum jacketed bullets. Never heard about any ill effects. Aluminum is soft and as a result, grit can become embeded in a cleaning rod and act as an abrasive on your bore. That's why they are frowned upon. I don't use aluminum gas checks so I can't comment on the fouling issue.

Winelover

canuck4570
09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Winchester Silvertips were/are aluminum jacketed bullets. Never heard about any ill effects. Aluminum is soft and as a result, grit can become embeded in a cleaning rod and act as an abrasive on your bore. That's why they are frowned upon. I don't use aluminum gas checks so I can't comment on the fouling issue.

Winelover
only the tip of the bullet on the silvertip was aluminum it was there only to protect the lead tip and never touched the bore....
and if aluminum fouling become present I guess it will be very difficult to remove
so why the craze over aluminum GC

winelover
09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
only the tip of the bullet on the silvertip was aluminum it was there only to protect the lead tip and never touched the bore....
and if aluminum fouling become present I guess it will be very difficult to remove
so why the craze over aluminum GC

Obviously you have no experience with their line of handgun ammo. The 9mm and 44Spl Silvertip ammunition that I have has aluminum jackets. :violin:

Winelover

canuck4570
09-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Obviously you have no experience with their line of handgun ammo. The 9mm and 44Spl Silvertip ammunition that I have has aluminum jackets. :violin:

Winelover
could you post a link to these bullets the only thing I could find is aluminum casing!
the only winchester handgun bullet that I found where the winchester silver tip which use a aluminum tip to aide expansion
for a while winchester used a aluminum manganese alloy for jacketed hand gun bullets but the composition is far from being soft like aluminum ....

EMC45
09-17-2010, 09:15 AM

Winelover

Beat me to it Winelover!

edsmith
09-17-2010, 11:22 AM
do a google search, you will see they indeed do have alu. jackets. as for the alu. check craze , there is nothing crazy about saving money, ease of getting check material. ect. ed

.30/30 Guy
09-17-2010, 11:51 AM
I agree with edsmith an the aluminum check craze. Main considerations are cost and availabity of different thickness. Besides that they work very well.

Jim Sheldon
09-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I agree with edsmith an the aluminum check craze. Main considerations are cost and availabity of different thickness. Besides that they work very well.

Me too. Especially when you can get around 16,000 checks out of $15 bucks worth of aluminum flashing (6" wide by 50 feet long). Beats $30/1000 for commercial copper checks all to pieces. Now, if only lead were that cheap.

:cbpour:

Mugs
09-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Me three. I've been using aluminum checks in four different barrels, three handguns and One rifle. From 1000 to 2000 fps. and not a sign of any fouling. And i'm cheap also.
Mugs
IHMSA 5940L

Bwana
09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
In canuck4570's second post he is obviously referencing the old Winchester line of rifle "Silvertip" ammunition in which there was an aluminum cap over the lead tip to prevent deformation during recoil while in the mag and during feeding.

fryboy
09-17-2010, 11:49 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1390125919

they dont state it but aluminum is what the jacket is made of

http://www.winchester.com/Products/components/bullets/centerfire-handgun/Pages/silvertip-hollow-point.aspx

i'm also familiar with the silver tips , +1 on wine tips post about the cleaning rod in truth some "coated" rods can do the same thing but i've never had aluminum colored fingers from coated rods lolz

Bwana
09-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Sorry, the "silvertip" handgun ammo made today does not have an aluminum jacket. It used to many years ago, not now.
We use the 9mm silvertip in our handguns and it is a coated copper alloy jacket. Same with the rest of them.
Of course I could be wrong,.......nah.

Jim Sheldon
09-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Sorry, the "silvertip" handgun ammo made today does not have an aluminum jacket. It used to many years ago, not now.
We use the 9mm silvertip in our handguns and it is a coated copper alloy jacket. Same with the rest of them.
Of course I could be wrong,.......nah.

Nope, you ain't wrong. I went to the Winchester site and looked at the MSDS on their bullets. They are listing a copper/zinc mixture and it's the zinc that gives the mix the silvery color.

Jim

josper
10-01-2010, 09:39 PM
The worst thing with aluminum is ,aluminum oxide.very abrasive.I use only SS cleaning rods.

canuck4570
10-01-2010, 09:56 PM
well could be some truth in what I said
OK they work but how do you clean the aluminum fowling from your barrel
if copper bullet leaves some than aluminum does also
not trying to be a PITA but just would like to know if it is better to buy copper sheet to make my gaz check than aluminum...

seppos
10-02-2010, 01:14 AM
As the hot blueing solutions are killers for aluminium and zink, I could assume that a light lye solution would work with aluminium.

S

Eagles6
10-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I know some swagers are using aluminum Blazer cases as bullet jackets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdzm7zM16r4

mold maker
10-02-2010, 10:52 PM
An aluminum cleaning rod can rub more than barrel length against the bore with each stroke, in and out. A GC is usually less than 1/8 of an inch, and it only passes through the bore once.
How many rounds would you have to fire to equal a complete bore cleaning???? Plus the GC is clean, and usually coated with something to retard chemical reaction and oxidation.
The aluminum cleaning rod has had many applications of grime, carbon, dust etc, left or stuck to it.
Nobody ever said copper couldn't carry dirt or other such abrasives, with it as a GC. We've used sticky lube on cast boolits for a long time and been content to load them with what ever was stuck or embedded in it.
I use aluminum for GC material, and until some one proves they've ruined a barrel just from using aluminum GCs, I have no worries.
I think the idea of aluminum oxide as an abrasive on a GC is minimal at best.
If steel or plated steel bullets don't destroy a barrel, a 3/32-1/8" GC won't even be noteworthy.

.30/30 Guy
10-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I have NEVER heard of anyone getting copper fouling from a copper gas check.

I suppect that fouling from an aluminum gas check has about the same probibility.

Fouling from an aluminum gas check reminds me of Chicken Little.

wiljen
10-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Per Winchester Tech - NONE, Not a single one of their current production bullets has an aluminum jacket. The Silvertip has an aluminum plug in the nose, but the jacket is made of a high zinc brass that gives it a color to match the tip.