PDA

View Full Version : old mod rcbs primer pocket swager

uncle joe
09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I recently bought a BUNCH of 223 brass from a member on another forum. I have a lyman hand primer pocket reamer, thought I would do a few at a time. Well to H*** with that. Looking on evil bay and found an old rcbs primer pocket swager, made for a c type press (i have a c press under my bench now and this would go great with it) comes with both tools and a ram. My question is how does this thing work. the instruction book comes with it but I would like to know how it works before I decide how much to bid. I would set up my old CH press for just this if it's price is right.

Pressman
09-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Swaging plug goes in the ram like a shellholder, the "cap" fits over the swaging plug. The die is universal, with a center rod that forces the case over the swaging plug. Withdrawing the case from the die the "cap" forces the case off the plug.
They work OK, hopefully you can get it for under $20.00. That would be my max. (I am not bidding).
Ken

curiousgeorge
09-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Hey Ken,

He didn't say what kind of CH that he was thinking of using, but do you think the cap will fit over the ram? Also, my old Rockchuckers actually have a flat spot machined in the frame for the cap to "seat" on when popping the plug out of the brass - wonder if his press does?

Uncle Joe - bad as it sounds money wise, you might want to try to pick up a used Dillon super swage. For a big run like what you have in front of you, it really is the trick.

Steve

uncle joe
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I think your talking about a new type rcbs primer pocket swager combo tool, I saw a video on it on utube. this one is different, but may work the same. here is the item number
190441477774 hope I don't get in trouble for posting, but i need to know before buying it. I am the only bidder for now.

Pressman
09-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Well, that one is a bit older than the one I was thinking of. Not sure how it works, but you will have to change the ram in your press. And you will likely have another problem, it fits large primers only as it was made in the time before the 223 military case was born.

If I were you I would explore other options for the 223 case.

In years past I have used a case mouth reamer in a Sinclair holder chucked in a small drill. Just a quick touch on the spinning trimmer was all each case needed. Fast and easy.\\

Ken

casterofboolits
09-17-2010, 09:40 AM
The RCBS set I have is at least 30 years old and has the parts to swage both large and small primer pockets. When I got it, I worked in a tool shop and made new mandrels and heat treated them.

Just finished 1,600 223 cases and have another 1.600 to go. It's a boring process, so I leave the Rock Chucker set up and as I go past it in the basement, I stop and do a 100 or so.

The tool has done very well for me.

I would not bid more than $15.00 or so. I dislike paying more than 50% of what I can buy it for new. Midway sells the tool for $26.99.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=447022

:cbpour:

Good luck!

1hole
09-17-2010, 10:57 AM
"I have a lyman hand primer pocket reamer, thought I would do a few at a time. Well to H*** with that."

Think outside the box; remove the reamer from its 'screwdriver' handle, chuck it in a slow speed drill and you can ream faster than you would swage.

uncle joe
09-18-2010, 07:45 AM
1 hole
that's the only way I use my reamer, found out real early that the handle ain't worth much if you have more than 20 rounds to do. After being burned I have to wear pressure garments which are like pantyhose material only thicker,whick include gloves. I can't hold on to anything that is smooth very well and have to wear leather or grip type gloves over them to do any real gripping, seems like a swagger made for a press might be more suited to my needs.
The old one on e-bay is now going for more than a new rcbs combo sells for at midway so guess my questions is moot anyway.
thanks for all the input from everyone.
UJ

1hole
09-18-2010, 07:53 AM
"After being burned ...."

Goodness! How did that happen? How is your recovery coming?

dudel
09-26-2010, 05:31 PM
I have one of those RCBS pocket swagers that I use on the RockChucker. They work on .223, although I wouldn't want to do many of them that way (so I mainly use a chamfer iron).

The problem is that the small primer head that goes into the case to push against the part on the ram that fits in the pocket, just barely clears the case mouth of .223. I ended up having to do lots of hand alignment to get the swaging rod to enter the case mouth. Works fine for taking the crimp off 9mm and 45 ACP; but small mouth cases can be trying! There are better options for swaging .223. It will work; but it will also increase your vocabulary.

frkelly74
09-27-2010, 08:45 AM
I will jump in if no one minds. On ebay there is a seller who makes new stems that screw into the RCBS swage die that are far superior to the ones that come with the set up. I used The original stems until they had bent and straightened them and bent bent them again . The ones that I got on ebay have not bent yet . They have been ground to a slight taper so that the cases slide on a little easier. They are $5 ea plus shipping and are worth it. I now tend to use a universal de capper that does not size the brass before swaging the pockets. This puts less strain on my loading dies and adds to the ease of putting the case through the swager.

flashhole
09-27-2010, 06:10 PM
I came by one for free because the threaded rod was frozen in the die body. I tried to remove it and twisted it off. I sent it to RCBS and they gave me a brand new one for free. I use mine with my Ultramag press and it works very nicely. It won't work with my Lee Classic presses because the ram is too fat. All in all a good tool that does what it needs to do.

cosmoline one
09-30-2010, 09:28 AM
frkelly74,

Got a link? i don't see anything like that on E-bay.

frkelly74
09-30-2010, 10:02 PM
I do not know how to make a link to an auction but if you search " RCBS Swager " you will find some under the seller ragingempire. I am not the seller and have no connection with him. I am satisfied with what I bought from him.

cosmoline one
10-16-2010, 11:13 AM
frkelly74
Thanks, I found him!