PDA

View Full Version : Got my new 'Mo-bigger' steady rest started

Buckshot
09-16-2010, 03:46 AM
.............Some years back after having so much fun with a golf ball cannon, I decided I needed a beer/pop can morter. I bought a 14" long hunk of 1045 steel of 4.5" OD. The steady rest for my 11" Logan lathe only goes to 3.5". I knew that and figured whipping out a larger steady (in my mind) would be an afternoons work. You now how it goes, the years just seem to race past :-)

In that time I picked up a 12" x 12" piece of good ole A36 structural steel 3/4" thick for the new steady rest. It leaned against the front of my workbench for some considerable time, ageing to perfection. Actually it was a matter of knowing I'd have to fit it's setup and machining time into my schedule, and knew it'd tie up the milling machine for some unforeseen time. I hate to simply dwell on one particular thing, with so much other stuff that needs to be done.

I finally got tired of that flat piece of steel laying out there and decided one day to get started. I felt so good about finally getting it started :-)

http://www.fototime.com/B049102B1BC2E02/standard.jpg

You can believe this or not, but I've had this 10" Phase II rotary table and the Baker center finder for almost 5 years and have never used either. A lot of the stuff for the mill had been bought 2-3 years before I'd ever aquired the milling machine. I just knew I'd eventually get one. And so now I was getting to use a couple of the things. I got to finally use the Blake co-ax indicator to set up the rotary table on center, and getting to use the rotab.

Not too shortly after that, things did NOT go swimmingly. Chinglish is bad enough but when the instructions are written in passable English, why can't they be complete? In this case it was lubrication. They said to put 'oil' in the base to the middle of the sight glass. Okay fine, I had a handle on that from simply having a few male genes, but please help me here ..............what freaking KIND of oil? I called them up (in Hauppage, NY) and after being put on hold was told Vactra #2. Left up to me I'd have put in some 90W HP gear oil, but okay Vactra #2.

Not mentioned in the instructions AT ALL or even SHOWN was a ball oiler on the perimeter of the table and another on the side of the base. To put oil IN the base they showed a threaded plug. Got that. Well okay, I gave each ball oiler a couple pumps with the oil can defaulting to Vactra #2, again. So the table is rotating is rotating with that silky smoothness of lots of heavy cast iron in finely machined and well oiled bearings/bushings. I mounted the steel plate on 1/4" thick sacrificial aluminum strips, clamped it and drilled 6 mounting holes in the plate. I then began milling the piece. After rotating the plate through almost a complete circle it began to get hard to turn, and eventually siezed up, DANG! I hated it and left it for a day or 2 (I was pissed off) but finally pulled the plate off, and could see nothing to do but to take the rotab apart to see wassup.

Leaving out a whole bunch of details, I had the rotab verticle with the table and it's central hub ready to be removed from the base. Nope, it wouldn't budge. I had to drive the table and it's hub out of the boss supporting it in the base. The boss in the base was slightly galled so I used a brake cylinder hone a bit to clean it up. The table's hub has hardened and wasn't marked.

Back to those unmentioned ball oilers. The one in the table goes to a hole above the boss. Atop the boss is a circular step, serving as an oil reservoir for oil for the table's hub. Although in this case, even an explaination in the instructions probably wouldn't have helped. The hub has a spiral groove ground into it to carry oil down and around between the hub and the boss it rotates in. The problem was the groove wasn't finished up to the top. There was no way for the oil to access the groove and find it's way down around the hub, other then possibly wicking down over time (weeks? Months?) between the 2 parts.

With the Dremel I finished grinding the groove up to intersect the oil reservoir. The ball oiler in the base allowed oil to go through a horizontal passage, and then intersect a connecting vertical passage that went down to feed oil to the thrust washer under the base, that carried the pressure of the 2 hub locking nuts. Anyway I finally got ti sorted out, and then fired off a friendly E-mail to Phase II.

http://www.fototime.com/5A5D6CFCA11C5E0/standard.jpg

I'd already milled off the outside portion. I'd managed to drop my old camera sometime previously and the couple picts I'd taken of that with the new camara came out way too bright and were unfocused. I decided to read the destructions and these other came out better.

http://www.fototime.com/FA640900C311E7C/standard.jpg

Almost through the plate. Lacking 1/8" of parting it off. As mentioned the plate was resting on 1/4" thick aluminum strips, but was only bolted through in the center. I had been using a 3 flute 1/2" endmill to cut the slot. At this point just before breaking through I swapped it out for a 5/16" 2 flute. I have a bunch of those, and felt that when making the final cut if the plate pinched it somehow or something else crazy I'd rather lose it then the much more expensive 3 flute.

Just an FYI I was in Lowes and they had these nifty little shop vac machines designed to utilize a 5 gallon bucket. They were $19.98 (you have to provide the bucket) and came with a 5 foot 1-1/4" ID flex suction hose. They really work well, and when I was finishing this up I used it to suck up the majority of the chips while machining the slot. Sure made cleaning up a lot easier as they're easy to carry in one hand with the nozzle in your other hand.

So about halfway done at this point.

................Buckshot

richbug
09-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Eagerly watching your progress on this one. I need a great big steady rest. I happen to have a once used Chi-com 12" rotary table(the job paid for the tool so I didn't mind having it sitting there collecting dust).

Is your 1/2" end mill carbide? How much depth were you taking per pass?

danski26
09-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Very cool project! keep us informed!

theperfessor
09-16-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm watching this thread with great interest. Nothing quite like seeing a master craftsman at work...

dragonrider
09-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Lookin good, a plasma cutter would have made short work of removing that stock in the middle, or anyone with a water jet in your area???

Buckshot
09-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Lookin good, a plasma cutter would have made short work of removing that stock in the middle, or anyone with a water jet in your area???

............My cousin's husband does field work on heavy equipment and has a plasma arc that's rated at over an inch. The problem with him is beer. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't drink on the job or during the work week. He's a great guy and all, but you can't get anything done at his house without being totally involved in a beerfest before any work gets done. If I'd have brought a 12 pack it would have been finished off before we made it from the driveway to his shop, and then the beer drinking would have gotten serious! I've simply not met a human being that can metabolize the stuff with his seeming immunity to the effects, then him.

The problem is that if you're not keeping up he thinks you're not having a good time, and feels he's not being a good host or something. Bless his heart, but one morning long ago I told God that if he allowed me to live thought the morning at least, I'd never do that again. And to date since then I haven't. He was a Marine, and I was only in the Navy, so maybe that's the difference, I dunno but it's just not worth it :-)

theperfessor I'm watching this thread with great interest. Nothing quite like seeing a master craftsman at work...

Yeah, right :-) You and I both know this isn't something requiring real craftmanship, master or otherwise. I believe I'm working to a 'Scant 32nd"!

richbug Eagerly watching your progress on this one. Is your 1/2" end mill carbide? How much depth were you taking per pass?

Nope, it isn't carbide but it IS a very nice Hanita. I was taking a 0.200" DOC for 3 passes and swapped to the smaller (5/16") 2 flute to do the final 0.150". I've got a pretty good assortment of carbide endmills I've aquired over time but due to their cost I was chicken to use them in cutting such a deep circular slot as this. My issue was chip recutting and also cutting full width as that can set up some odd stresses (I understand).

http://www.fototime.com/10FE73A7866B127/standard.jpg

The chips were coming off right and that end mill went the distance and looks none the worse for wear. I'd mentioned that neato $20 shopvac and it was going a heckuva job sucking out the chips, but you could tell the endmill was still doing some small amount of recutting. I'm no expert at slot milling stuff this heavy, but I think if I had been running collant on it I could have cut the entire depth in a single pass, but at a much slower feed naturally. The chips looked good and the finish wasn't bad (for what I was doing) and the endmill didn't seem to be stressed.

..............Buckshot

theperfessor
09-17-2010, 08:58 AM
My compliments were based on what we call "the totality of your work". Maybe in your mind this isn't a high precision job, but coupled with all the compliments you receive for your mold mods, your photographs and excellent write ups on this and other projects, I'll stick with my opinion of your craftsmanship.

dragonrider
09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
+1 to what the perfessor said.

I know exactly what you mean about the beer drinkers, I used to be one. A short drive down the road from me is a fellow that has a water jet in his garage and whose service I have used on a couple of occaisions.

Just Duke
09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Kepp us updated! Can you post video's?

PatMarlin
09-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Nice work Cuz.

Keep the pics coming.... :drinks:

I'm turning into a real light weight. 1-2 beers and I don't want anymore. Must be age.

scrapcan
09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Isn't all that beer how you get to the water jet phase? Been there got nothing done after that.

Nice work so far Rick. You were smarter than me, all I have setting around are pieces of metal that lean on things. I know my wife would trade that for tools that are nice looking.