PDA

View Full Version : disassembly of stevens model 44

argie1891
09-16-2010, 02:48 AM
I have a stevens model 44 and it needs to be taken apart and cleaned. any one stripped the action apart?? not sure how hard it is to take apart but it really could use a cleaning. your imput would be appreciated. argie1891

excess650
09-16-2010, 07:10 AM
They are a toggle link type action, so fairly simple. On a 44 the "screws" on the RH side of the receiver can be removed. They are really more akin to "acorn nuts with slotted heads". Once they're removed the KEYED screws inserted from the LH side can be pushed out. The other screws are as they appear, screws. The front, lower screw simply locks the barrel in place. The (2) rear, upper and lower are tang screws that attach the stock. IIRC, the flat mainspring is held in place by a screw, and there may be another to adjust tension on the mainspring. The hammer has a screw as pivot/axle from the LH side of the receiver. The block, extractor and link are together with internal pins and, IIRC, come out as a unit.

The early centerfire has another screw for some sort of adjustment, and its visible by looking downward at the open block. I think it was for adjusting headspace. Likewise, the centerfire has a hammer that locks the block closed on firing.

The larger 44-1/2 is a different animal. The screws are all screws! LOL!

argie1891
09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
thanks for your reply. i knew there was something different on the screws but couldnt remember where i had read it. i have been shooting it with lyman 257420 and a light load of unique. My 3.5 gr. load of unique without gas check shoots better than the same load with gas checks. Not a target rifle but i must admit that one inch groups at 25 yards are fun to shoot. again thanks argie1891[

excess650
09-16-2010, 07:20 PM
25-20ss?

argie1891
09-17-2010, 11:31 PM
25-20ss?

it is not a 25/20 single shot. it started out life as a 25 rim fire and now is a 25/20 winchester. now i know this rifle is not a strong action however i am handloading very light loads. the loads i am using are around 10,000 psi according to quick load. the screws on the left side are really stuck and i am soaking them in penatrating oil. argie1891

excess650
09-18-2010, 08:29 AM
it is not a 25/20 single shot. it started out life as a 25 rim fire and now is a 25/20 winchester. now i know this rifle is not a strong action however i am handloading very light loads. the loads i am using are around 10,000 psi according to quick load. the screws on the left side are really stuck and i am soaking them in penatrating oil. argie1891

The "screws" that had the "nuts" on the RH side are keyed, so do not turn. They must be pushed out from R to L.

The 25RF could have been converted to 22RF with a liner and a little extractor work. The straight or straighter 25cal cases like the 25-21 Stevens or 25-20 SS would have made less bolt thrust than the 25-20 Win. Likewise for the 25 Hornet.

I have a 44 that was a 32 RF with rough bore. They are virtually useless at that point, so I had the block converted to CF, and the barrel rebored/rechambered to 38 Special. I've shot stuff up to +P pressures in it, and it seems fine.

Stevens chambered some of them for 22 Hornet, but they didn't handle the pressures very well and were discontinued pretty quickly.