PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a .32-40

BDH
09-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Over 20 years ago, I had a friend rebarrel a Ruger #1V to .32-40 with a bbl suited for cast bullets (Schuetzen). Dragged it out of the safe, hogged out the forend so it would fit (been that way ever since) and am now ready to start with a load. It's never been fired since rebarreling.

1. To select a bullet, do I need to know the bbl twist? I know he set it up for cast bullets only.
2. Where do I find suitable cast bullet for .32-40? Who makes them. What weight should I try? Years ago I sold all my casting gear.
3. Can I get away with neck sizing, or will I have to FL resize?
4. Suggested load data?

Your suggestions...

Thanks,

Bruce

excess650
09-16-2010, 07:19 AM
If it was set up for schuetzen, it may have no tapered leade and may require breech seating. If so, you may want to consult the ASSRA forum.

If it has a tapered leade, it should shoot fxed ammunition(cartridges) just fine. You'll need to know the groove diameter, and knowing the twist will help in choosing a correct bullet weight.

Original 32-40s were usually 1-16" so shot relatively light 165gr bullets. Schuetzen barrels may be as quick a 1-12" and will shoot 200gr, or maybe heavier. Invariably, they'll be shooting soft (25-1) plainbase bullets and generally tapered ones at that.

Check and see if barrel is stamped for groove diameter and twist. You may be able to see if there is an abrupt edge from the chamber to the barrel, or if it has a more gentle, tapered leade to allow shooting fixed ammunition.

Breech seated ammunition usually uses a single case, reloaded at the firing line. They don't need to be resized.

For fixed ammunition in a single rifle, neck sizing or partial sizing would be preferred. The 32-40 is a tapered case, so backing the full length sizer die up away from the shell holder effectively neck sizes.

John Boy
09-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Bruce, this would be your source for good 32-40 loading data ...
http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1144106560/15

Most 32-40 barrels are 1:15 and will shoot a 165 or 200gr bullet with stability

A chamber cast of the unknown barrel will tell you if it has a long leade for breech seating , which I doubt. Determining the twist is easy - google it on the internet

Bullet sources
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,83.html ... 1:20
http://arizonacastbullets.com/products.html ... hard cast

Neck sizing is best with a light crimp when using nitro powder

Marine Sgt 2111
09-23-2010, 03:26 AM
It's to bad that you sold your casting gear because if ever there was a cast boolit friendly cartridge it's the .32-40. I bought one of those Traditional Hunter Winchesters, I ever so slightly neck size the cases, and using either a Saeco 165gr or 200gr (not a lot yet) of a 50/50 alloy of WW/Pure Lead, 8.5 grains of Unique got a .704" c-t-c group (100 yds). Most production casters cast boolits way too hard for the .32-40 unless you want to drive the boolit hard and fast.

I use a .323 dia sizer die as both bullets I shoot are tapered and I don't really want to size them. Besides when the boolits are that big in my rifle they fit snug (tight) into the neck sized cases. Slug your barrel, normal recommended size is .321".

I only neck size period even when I load RCBS cast 170 FNGC boolits intended for the .32 Winchester. I still size them to .323".

At to powders, I tried 5744 and couldn't get smaller than 2" at 100 yds and that puzzling as it's a great powder in .30-30, .308, .30-06, .35 Whelen and .375 H&H. I just started using Unique and am quite pleased with the results so far. I will write more as I get more back.

As a side note: this Marine is not fond of those cresent butt plates that they used to put on rifles. I hope the reward for the man who designed those is for him to spend eternity shooting a 3lb .50-140 with 700gr boolits....that's right 3lbs!