PDA

View Full Version : Finally warmed it up

Jack Stanley
09-12-2006, 09:50 PM
It's been a very long time since I plugged in the Pro-Melt , but with the rain today dousing my outdoor activities it happened . I was cleaning up the dungeon and got to the casting bench and thought this would be a good time to heat up a couple old Lyman four cavity molds . It's not often you find the 311440 in a four holer and I wanted to see how these two molds do . One looks older than the other and more used .
Had a pot full of scrap something-or-other , as it turned out the brinell reading was so low it must have been close to pure lead . One cast better than the other but there are two different styles of sprue plat that might account for that . One is like you'd expect and the other has a trough in it to make ladle pouring easier . Both are a touch out of round and both cast overize but for the low velocity loads I have in mind I think they will work fine .
Now I got a little pile of bullets from each of them to play with :-D

Jack

Blacktail 8541
09-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Its easy to say i'll get around to it latter, no matter what it may pretain to. But when it finally happens it seems that the interest is usally rekindled.