PDA

View Full Version : Enfield Period Identification Pic

Just Duke
09-15-2010, 09:47 PM
I have been eye oogleling Early 1900 bolt guns for quite sometime now.
I have over the last year really liked the aesthetics appeal of this rifle pictured below with the stock going to the end of the barrel. I believe this is WWI and being the within the time parameters I gravitate to. Please someone correct me as I am ignorant to this weapons platform.
I plan on per receiving one, clean all the metal up of knicks and gouges, send the barreled action of for reparkerizing/reblueing per application, and sand ALL! the blemish's from the wood work. Or maybe just some new wood in walnut. ;)
This would be a dedicated cast bullet gun.
TIA,
Duke
P.S. I'm pretty sure that's not a WWI scope and mount. ;)

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/ENFIELD/ENFIELD.jpg

m.chalmers
09-15-2010, 09:59 PM
flap,flap,flap,flap......
All I need is that one and an Enforcer.....

JeffinNZ
09-15-2010, 10:27 PM
DUKE: My guess is the rifle is a Lithgow, Australian made No1 MkIII* and will be WWII era. The Ozzies never adopted the No4 so used the No1 as their sniper rigs. Looks like a WWII sniper rig to me.

docone31
09-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I thought the lighgow had an one piece scope mount.
I have one, and it is indeed my favourite. A good shooting paper patch rifle.
I mean good shooting.

Just Duke
09-15-2010, 11:08 PM
I thought the lighgow had an one piece scope mount.
I have one, and it is indeed my favourite. A good shooting paper patch rifle.
I mean good shooting.

Do you have any pics DC?

herbert buckland
09-15-2010, 11:16 PM
To me that looks lick a Lithgow HT low mount sniper rifle has it got a H stamped on top of the butstock near the cocking peice and what is the serial number(they are nealy all recorded) if it is a HT it is a very valuble rifle so do not change anything,If you havent got it yet dont hesitate somone else will spot it and know its value,even the thort of thats rifle being sanded and striped sends shivers down my back not only would you be destroying history it would be devalued by thousands of dollars. PS you are just pulling our legs arnt you, if so you got me going

Just Duke
09-16-2010, 07:41 AM
To me that looks lick a Lithgow HT low mount sniper rifle has it got a H stamped on top of the butstock near the cocking peice and what is the serial number(they are nealy all recorded) if it is a HT it is a very valuble rifle so do not change anything,If you havent got it yet dont hesitate somone else will spot it and know its value,even the thort of thats rifle being sanded and striped sends shivers down my back not only would you be destroying history it would be devalued by thousands of dollars. PS you are just pulling our legs arnt you, if so you got me going

It's not my rifle some a stock photo. Anyway, yes I going to fix any I get up. I think Enfield made 5 million pieces of history so nothing lost.

herbert buckland
09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
It's not my rifle some a stock photo. Anyway, yes I going to fix any I get up. I think Enfield made 5 million pieces of history so nothing lost.Lithdow made only 362 or 481(depending on refrence source)low mount HT sniper rifles,they are worth between $3000 and $7000 depending on condition and original matching equipment,even a original Pattern 1918 (Aust)scope can be worth over $1000

PAT303
09-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Yep,that rifle would bring big dollars down here.It's a Lithgow low mount,the most desireable model.I also know a smith who rebuilds them back to unissued condition,he rebuilds every part including the scope and mounts. Pat

dualsport
09-17-2010, 12:33 AM
I have a 1915 Lithgow that I'm proud of. It's not an HT, but she's a beauty. The buttstock is stamped 1945. 2nd M.D. is stamped on the reciever ring, does that mean arsenal rebuilt?

Multigunner
09-17-2010, 01:12 AM
I have a 1915 Lithgow that I'm proud of. It's not an HT, but she's a beauty. The buttstock is stamped 1945. 2nd M.D. is stamped on the reciever ring, does that mean arsenal rebuilt?

Could mean Second Military District, or something along those lines.
Arsenal rebuilds would be marked FTR.

In September 1939, the 2nd Military District of the Australian Army covered all of New South Wales. The headquarters for the 2nd Military District was located in Sydney.
http://www.mysearch.com/search/redirect.jhtml;jsessionid=55C9E8B72F7157DFD9228889 788A2E53?qid=1C93FEE0D36282A75673D1F0CCADED64&searchfor=australia+second+military+district&action=pick&pn=1&ptnrS=FK&ss=&st=bar&cb=FK&pg=GGmain&ord=0&tpr=&redirect=mPWsrdz9heamc8iHEhldEfinI%2B5H1q4K%2FZgkZ FSun6qUhWSt%2BR%2BQ3grMvnwCR4nwsTmO0MZu%2B0F8osQyz tR8nQ%3D%3D&ct=AR

Butt Stocks sometimes have date of manufacture stamped, and perhaps the name of the manufacturer such as Slazenby.

Its definitely had a replacement butt stock but thats not uncommon for a WW1 era rifle pressed into WW2 service, and would not by itself require an FTR or FR for field repair.

herbert buckland
09-17-2010, 02:45 AM
If you check Milsurp knowledge library and look under 1917/1945 No 1 Mk111* HT Australian sniper rifle you will see were the photo of the Lithgow HT was sourced from and relivent information

Jack Stanley
09-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow !!! Duke , where do you find such nice stuff :?:From this angle it looks pretty nice in finish both of metal and wood . Rare ??? I don't know , the other guys are better at that than I , but the idea of a cast bullet shooter ........ Well , you take pretty good care of your stuff anyway right ?

Congrats on getting such a nice rifle ;)

Jack

PAT303
09-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Just a side note,there is an Australian sniper that had the very same rifle in Korea that shot at communist troops that were trying to get into a bunker on the opposite hill.The troops were coming over a ridge and the sniper shot as they ran down the hill to the bunker aiming about 30 feet in front of them and letting them run into the bullets.After the battle they counted 30+ bodies at the bunker opening and all were shot with standard millitary issue Mk7 303 cartridges,the range was 1300 yards. Pat

Bloodman14
09-17-2010, 10:13 PM
An Aussie Gunny Hathcock?! Outstanding!

Just Duke
09-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow !!! Duke , where do you find such nice stuff :?:From this angle it looks pretty nice in finish both of metal and wood . Rare ??? I don't know , the other guys are better at that than I , but the idea of a cast bullet shooter ........ Well , you take pretty good care of your stuff anyway right ?

Congrats on getting such a nice rifle ;)

Jack

I wish it was mine Jack. It's a picture I found on the internet.

dk17hmr
09-18-2010, 06:59 AM
I dont know much about Enfield rifles but

.........This would be a dedicated cast bullet gun.......[/IMG]

And a heck of a good hunting rifle in the timber. Growing up in Michigan my neighbor had one that he bought in the 50's for $10. Every year he would have meat and was always upset when the deer took a step after he shot.

Just Duke
09-18-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm just out looking for one of those under $300.00 and under jobbers to restore and scope. ;)

herbert buckland
10-06-2010, 04:06 AM
I have been eye oogleling Early 1900 bolt guns for quite sometime now.
I have over the last year really liked the aesthetics appeal of this rifle pictured below with the stock going to the end of the barrel. I believe this is WWI and being the within the time parameters I gravitate to. Please someone correct me as I am ignorant to this weapons platform.
I plan on per receiving one, clean all the metal up of knicks and gouges, send the barreled action of for reparkerizing/reblueing per application, and sand ALL! the blemish's from the wood work. Or maybe just some new wood in walnut. ;)
This would be a dedicated cast bullet gun.
TIA,
Duke
P.S. I'm pretty sure that's not a WWI scope and mount. ;)

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/ENFIELD/ENFIELD.jpgOne of these just sold in Melbourne Australia auction for $13000+10%GST +12.5% buyers premum

Four Fingers of Death
10-15-2010, 04:07 AM
Its funny, my Dad was a groundpounder on the Kokoda Track and for a lot of the time, he was Fatty Lane's offsider. Fatty was Dad's mate and they were the best of mates from the start of the war until Fatty died a few years ago (he wasn't all that fat by the way, they were all as skinny as rakes.

Dad identified two rifles immediately when he saw them. My M17, straight away he said, 'Fatty had one of those with a fancy sight on it. They other rifle he identified straightaway was the Garand which he said 'replaced the other rifle you had', meaning my M17, but in reality it would have been a No3 Aussie Sniper (P14). He identified the SMLEs as the same as his rifle, but said Fatty hardly ever used one. Maybe that was Fatty's choice.

They had a tactic that worked well. Fatty (Ken) would keep the Japs engaged with the Garand and when the enbloc clip flew out, he would reload but the rest of the section would be waiting for some poor fool Jap to stick his head up when he heard the clip fly. Dad said that was the last thing a lot of them heard :D