PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy testing with BT .40 bullets in 10mm

Intel6
09-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I have been working on making 200 gr. .40 JSP's for loading in 10mm. I did some initial load testing and finally was able to get a second batch done.

I have been testing with IMR 800X powder and for those that don't know 800X is a great powder (the best?) for loading high velocity loads in the 10mm. The big problem is that 800X is a cut flake and it is terrible trying to make it be consistent through most powder measures. Imagine trying to run corn flakes through a giant powder measure and you will understand why the weight variances with 800X almost make it not work using.

I recently got a RCBS Chargemaster auto powder measure that dispenses charges by weight so now I am able to load 800X in my 10mm loads and know that the charges are correct. I loaded up a test batch of loads using my 200 gr. JSP using BT dies and was just going to collect some chrono data on them out of both my 10mm revolver and my Glock 20 in 10mm. I realized the no one has really done much accuracy testing of these bullets and I decided that I would clamp the two test guns in my Ransom machine rest and see how they shoot while at the same time collecting my data.

I had tried using my Glock 10mm in the rest years ago and didn’t have much luck with it. The plastic frame doesn’t seem to work well in the rubber Ransom inserts and at the time I was getting some vertical stringing that I attributed to the gun moving in the inserts. I decided that since I was planning on shooting the bullets in my S&W 610 revolver in the rest I might as well try it again. I figured even if there is some vertical stringing it would still give some idea of the accuracy. In this case I chose to use a stock G20 with the factory barrel instead of my G20 with the BarSto barrel. I probably would get a little better accuracy with the BarSto but I figured using the factory barrel would be more useful. At the same time I was testing my heavy 225 WFNGC cast bullets in 10mm and I specifically wanted to see how they performed in the factory Glock barrel. I discovered in this case that for whatever reason this testing with the Glock went well and there didn’t seem to be any obvious vertical stringing?

I have to bring up one thing about this test because some might think I tried to skew the results by shooting at a specific distance. Due to having to dodge the daily monsoons here in SE AZ at this time of the year I only tested from the Ransom Rest at 25 Feet. I typically test at further distance but I needed to do this quickly so all my equipment didn’t get soaked and it wouldn’t take all day. Collecting chronograph data is easy and running loads on the Ransom Rest is complicated as there is lots of running back and forth to the target and keeping track of the process to ensure you don’t get things mixed up. When you combine both of these processes together is can get real difficult but the results are satisfying. So because of this I chose the shorter distance because if I didn’t compromise on something I would have never got this test completed.

So on to the results. In the pics you will see a few things. My chronograph downloads the data to a excel spreadsheet so I take that and manipulate it so I can keep it. I modified the data so I could cut it out and tape it directly onto the target to identify each group with the specific info. In the case of these pics the info is mostly the same except for the load data and the velocity. I am not sure how well this will turn out here on the forum but at least you can see the groups and what they measured. I measured the groups center to center so I measured the overall group and subtracted 0.40” to get the measurement written in blue next to the group.

The first two pics (left to right) are the groups I shot with the S&W 610 revolver. There are 6 groups to look at. The 1st group was shot with a 165 gr. JHP made by Montana Gold. It is my limited competition load and I used it to make sure I was getting good positioning of the target on the backer. Groups 2-6 were shot with BTS 200 gr. JSP’s all around 1,000 fps. Again these were initial testing loads, I have a lot more room to push these bullets a lot faster. One thing to notice is I had some primers separate from the bullet and impact the target. In this case you can see the primer hit circled in red between groups 3 and 4.

The next two pics (pics 3&$ Left to right) are the same 5 loads used in the revolver (groups 2-6) but these were shot out of a stock Glock 20. I also had some primers separate from the bullets and you can see them below group #1 and between groups 2 & 3.

sargenv
09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Yep, I've seen evidence of the primers coming loose on USPSA targets at matches and in practice.. pretty funny.. It looks like you are having pretty good groups with your loads. I have pushed the HP version of the bullets to 1150 fps in my 6.5" 610 utilizing Longshot. As I recall, it topped out and actually started to decline past a certain point. Instead of using 10 mm brass, I was using 40's with the bullet loaded to 10 MM Max OAL (1.260"). Not sure if using 10 mm brass would give any more velocity or not. No pressure signs.. I just need find a different fast burner.. Blue Dot was one I thought about but I have not experimented just yet.

BT Sniper
09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Great range report. Awesome results! Certainly looks like these bullets shoot very well indeed. Every bullet I have ever made from brass cases has shot a lot better then I ever expected.

Keep up the great results. I certainly plan to continue with range results and loads with these bullets.

Good shooting! Swage on!:swagemine:

BT

ANeat
09-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Back up to 25 or even 50 yards and you will tell the good loads from the bad ones pretty quick.

A windage base on the ransom rest helps. Then you can shoot several groups on the same target

Heck at 25 feet they al look good

jonblack
09-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I would say 25 feet is a little close. 50 yards will make the cream rise to the top.

jonblack

sargenv
09-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Since he had to get his results between storm squalls, well, something had to give, and seems distance was one.. For most ppl, 25 ft is a stretch ;)

Daywalker
09-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Heck I feel out of place people talking about taking shots 25 yards and further with a handgun. I practice MOST of mine 15 yards and shorter. Main reason, my handgun is personal protection and I am not a fortunate person to have a home that will allow me to a 25 yard shot lol. The only handgun that I own and will go further out is the Ruger SuperBlackhawk. Once I get the sights fixed on it, I will be able to practice more shooting at further distances...

Great results and very nice accuracy Intel6!!!

bdbullets
09-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Very nice groups. I have BT's dies for making 41 mag and love them. I see now I am going to have to get a set for 10mm for my Delta Elite. Will be very interesting to see the results out to 50+ yards using the ransom rest. I have shot a lot of deer with my 10mm, using XTP's. Going to use the 41 mag with the bullets made with the dies I got from Brian this year.

sargenv
09-16-2010, 11:56 PM
I can understand why he went to 25 ft. Personally I've taken people to the sillouette range that were surprised I could hit anything starting at 50 meters with a handgun and proceeding to then hit the 100, 150, and 200 meter targets all with a handgun of sorts... A Contender for the shots to 200 and a GP 100 for the shots to 100... All he'd ever fired to the time was an old Argentine High power that was a pattern maker at anything past about 15 yards.. :)

It's especially funny that a lot of the action shooters we have at our range freak out of any of the targets are much past 25 yards... People always ask me if the swaged bullets I am making are accurate.. I always tell them, so far at the distances we shoot they are..

ANeat
09-17-2010, 01:25 AM
I shoot at 50 yards all the time (Bullseye handguns) ....one handed even ;)

a.squibload
09-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Nice groups, good writeup.

Maybe off-topic but I can't figure why some primers would bail out?
Seems like the blast would push 'em in. Any ideas? Just curious.

MakeMineA10mm
09-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Haven't even gotten my first set of swaging dies from Brian yet, so this is PURE CONJECTURE, but...

From my understanding of the process, annealing the brass and bumping up the overall external dimensions when running the "jacket" into the die, would probably cause the primer pocket to be too loose to reliably hold onto the primer anymore... 'Least that's my guess for now. When I get the dies (my first set will be for the 44-cal.), I'll run some though with and without primers and measure the changes in the primer pocket dimensions and primer dimensions. (The primers, being annealed along with the case, should soften up and expand too, but I'm betting they either don't expand as much as the case's brass, or there's a little more spring-back to the primer than to the brass of the case head...)

Jailer
09-21-2010, 11:39 PM
I've got to think inertia has a bit to play in this. If it were just a case of the primer pocket expanding when the case is swaged, I would think that it would be much more common.

Think about it for a minute. We press these primers in with minimal effort on our reloading presses. Some go in with less pressure than others. I bet the ones that require less pressure are the ones that come out with the sudden expansion of gasses and sudden acceleration of the case. Yes there is pressure pressing against the face of the primer holding it in the pocket until it exits the barrel, but once it exits the barrel the pressure on the face is relieved it is free to fall out at will. I have to believe that some of that pressure ends up behind the primer causing it to come loose and fall out striking the target close to where the projectile lands. It is already accelerated once it leaves the barrel so it continues on its flight path. I bet if longer distances were shot the primer would either fall free before it hits the target or hit the target further off the point of the projectile. The primers that fit tighter may not allow that gas to get behind the primer and work it loose and end up staying in the pocket for the flight of the bullet.

Sound reasonable or am I grasping at straws? It is late and I need some sleep soon.

bohica2xo
09-22-2010, 01:32 AM
I don't care why the primers fall out - it does not appear to have a terrible effect on accuracy.

What I DO find interesting, is the relative accuracy of the primer as a sub-projectile. It seems to "shoot" fairly well...

sargenv
09-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Yeah, I always seem to get nice round .17 cal holes from any primers ejected out the back of the bullet. :) I have even recovered some of the bullets after they impact steel and most if not all of those are recovered with the primers intact in the cases.. strange that.. :)

a.squibload
09-22-2010, 02:53 AM
Well, they are spinning as they leave the barrel, probably not too aerodynamic
(ballistic coefficient of a cup, open end facing forward),
but they are drafting the boolit for a ways.
I never weighed a primer but I bet it's a very small percentage of boolit weight.
Inconsequential, but kinda interesting!

I no longer have a .17 cal pellet gun but just had a thought of all those spent primer cups
being used as jackets for pellet gun boolits???

OK, I'm getting off track here...

NSP64
09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I have use unfired primers for boolits in my .177 cal pellet gun. Makes a nice pop when you hit something. You must use SR primers if your gun has some power to it or they(SP primers) pop in the barrel. They still exit the barrel, but they detonate in the barrel.

Trapaddict
01-12-2011, 06:47 PM
The primers falling out is very possibly a result of the higher pressures generated by the 10MM stretching the pocket out somehow. BT claimed to have seen the same phenemenon while testing his 30 call boolits in his 300 WM. I am curious if anyone is experiencing the same thing in a 45 ACP with boolits made from 40 S & W brass since the 45 operates at much lower pressures.

Jeff

Silicon Wolverine
01-12-2011, 11:36 PM
ive noticed a few primer holes in my targets when shooting 40 S&W with fairly hot loads. lower loads not so much. accuracy from my hi point 40 pistol has been comparable to whats shown above.

i havent shot any in my 10mm as i use it primarily for 50-200 yard steel silhouette, and that is reserved pretty much for hornady XTPs.

SW

BT Sniper
01-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Good to see you around SW. I havn't shot my 4095 since the first and last 150 rounds I put threw her. Hope to again soon though. Put a nice scope on it so I can see what can be done at 100+ yrds.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

BT Sniper
01-13-2011, 01:16 AM
p.s. Primer holes are cool!

:Fire: - - - - - - - -:killingpc

Silicon Wolverine
01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Good to see you around SW. I havn't shot my 4095 since the first and last 150 rounds I put threw her. Hope to again soon though. Put a nice scope on it so I can see what can be done at 100+ yrds.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

yeah i know what you mean. mine has been dormant lately as well. ive been tinkering around with some exotic loads in 12 ga and thats been eating up my time.

SW