PDA

View Full Version : Help me please!

gcollins
09-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Guys,
Problems from my Old Back just keeps getting worse. !!! I can't resize my 243WSSM cases!!
Here is what I need to know: Is there a Pistol caliber that the outside dia. of the case is .50, if there is any such cal. I will buy a full lenght carbide die for that cal. and I will take the decapping stem out and run my 243WSSM threw the carbide die first and then lube and run threw the 243WSSM die, I know that this sounds crazy, but I don't have any other way I can think how to do what I want.
I am open to anything, so if any of you have any ideas, let me know PLEASE!
The press I use is a MONSTER and I did 10 shells yesterday and I hurt so bad today I can't get out of bed!!
Waiting to hear from you all.
Thanks in advance!!
G

I might of found what I need, I want to run this buy you fellas and tell me what you think.
The 480 Ruger has a outside dia. of .504 the 243WSSM is .50, what do you all think??

mooman76
09-15-2010, 07:37 PM
What about a longer handle on the press for more leverage?

d garfield
09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
I would try some (die sizing wax) for the out side and get a tube of lee case sizing lube for the inside of necks. I use a qutip to do the inside. The Lee will all dry by the time you are ready to put the powder in. That is the way I do my case for my benchrest rifle (30br)

Firebricker
09-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I agree with trying a longer handle and try some imperial sizing wax. If your using brass from one rifle you could try just neck sizing. If you need FL sizing maybe back the die out a little checking to make sure it chambers smoothly. The only other thing I can think of is polishing the inside of the die. Or there's always the miracle of percaset LOL. FB

Bwana
09-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, the WSSM cases are .550 at the base, not .500. If you could find a carbide die for the
50AE it might work; but, I can't find one.

gcollins
09-15-2010, 09:23 PM
My mistake, about 99% of the time here lately I have my head up my a$$! Thanks
I will keep looking.
Thanks to all.
G

gcollins
09-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi Guys,
Well I have this 36" long slide hammer made out of 3/4" pipe that has a 5lb slide on it, I sliped over the handle and slide the 5lb slide to the top of the handle and try to size a case, all the way down and all the weight on the end and I still had to push it down, if I didn't slam it down it wouldn't resize all the way:groner:[smilie=b: I even tokk my dremel tool and polished the end side of my die and didn't help, there has to be something wrong with this die?????
What do you think know??
G

wiljen
09-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Case lube is gonna be a must. If you keep adding more leverage you will get the case into the die, but you will never get it out again. I'd go with less force, more lube. Having said that, even a very very thin oil is plenty. Too much lube and you get oil dents in the shoulders.

gcollins
09-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Wilgen,
Thank you for taking the time to post to me, I have done the everything from light lube to the STP type lube, Silcone spray and then light lube, tried some home made lube.
I feel that there is a problem with my Die, I have loaded 7mm Mag cases with no problem, I have taken 308 Win cases and made 243Win case, I have been reloading and thought I had seen everything possble:veryconfu
I even reloaded for a friend that his cases came to me with lines running long ways that looked like the case had several grooves, those were tuff.
I am going to attach a pic of a resized case, so you all can see how much I have to bump the shoulder to get a full sized case.
I thank everyone and would still like to hear from others.
Later
G

uncle joe
09-16-2010, 02:50 PM
What kind of press do you have. Some of them have better toggle action/better mechanical advantage than others. My lee classic cast has an adjustable location for the handle. Longer handle would help but it might help to adjust the location of the handle if you have it.
PS my BIL has two brand new bags of 243 WSSM brass he needs to sell if your intrested.

EOD3
09-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Couple of questions, where is the stroke difficult, top? bottom? everywhere? going in? going out?

Have you miked the brass new, fired, and sized?

gcollins
09-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Uncle Joe,
I am using a Massive Press it is a Herters Super O. I have never seen a press any bigger, I have bought and sold several RCBS Rock Chuckers. I think I am going to order a RCBS FL die and see if that might help???? I am in so much pain from sizing 10 cases I couldn't get out of the house today. Please ask your BIL how much for the brass, and if he reloaded what brand of dies did he have? Please pm me with the details.
Later
G
EOD3,
About a 1/4" from the bottom of the case is where it is bad, pushing and then jerking on the handle to get the case out of the die! These are Win. brass that I bought new and shot, then I annealed the necks.
35 years reloading and NEVER SAW anything like this.
I can't afford to shoot new brass all the time!!!
Later
G

nicholst55
09-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Perhaps you should consider ordering a sizing die for CH-4D, and have them TiN (Titanium Nitride) plate it, before they ship it to you. I'd think that and some Imperial Sizing Die Wax should do the trick. It couldn't hurt, anyway!

flounderman
09-16-2010, 07:34 PM
have you ever thought your chamber could be oversize? there might not be anything wrong with your die. the size of the press doesn't mean it has leverage. I have a herters c press and I have a three hole lee turrent. the lee is much easier to size cases in. as long as the cases chamber, you don't need to full length. cases last longer, accuracy will be better sizing about 3/4 of the neck, and it should be easier. the lubricant you use will make a difference. some of the spray on lube isn't very slick. is this a factory chamber or a custom joband do the cases extract easy? you could have a tight or rough die and you could have an oversize chamber.

EOD3
09-16-2010, 07:37 PM
I know this is a dumb question for an experienced loader but, is there ANY chance the powder charges were high enough to stretch the base?

Maybe it's time to try another sizing die?

The #1 solution to your problem is to con a shooting partner into sizing the brass for you. :D

jsizemore
09-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Is there a difference in size between the fired and sized cases just above the extractor groove?

gcollins
09-16-2010, 09:39 PM
A new case measures .550 and a fired case measure .554. I tried a fire case and it would not camber. I don't have anyone that can size my brass for me, not very many people around here reload any more. I don't have any problems with any other rifle cases. I think maybe I will call CH-4D and see what they would charge. When shooting a bolt gun or a single shot I have allways fire formed my brass and only neck sized them. With a auto loader I have allways had to FL.
I greatly apprecate all the help, and will intertane anything.
Thanks
G

canyon-ghost
09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
That sounds as though you have to resize the web of the case for bulge. If that is the problem, I have a slick way of dealing with it. Believe it or not, a lanolin and petroleum lube that VERY slick is available about anywhere. How about Alberto VO5? I got the idea from an NRA shooter named Ed Harris (over at Cast Bullet Association). After trying it, I have to admit that it works beautifully. "It's the slickest stuff you never got off your hands" as the guys would say. Has a lot of parfum (?) in it but, cleans up with alcohol and it takes very little. Just roll about every tenth case across a pad or rag with a small smear on it. Doesn't take as much as you'd think.

Hope this helps some,
Ron

zxcvbob
09-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Raise your die up maybe 1/8" and resize them. You'll have a *lot* more leverage when it gets tough. Then adjust the die back where it belongs and size them again.

One of the best lubes I've found in Kiwi Mink Oil. Put a little on your fingers every 3rd or 4th case, and twirl the cases as you put them in the shellholder to transfer a little grease. Castor oil is good if you want to use a lube pad, but it's not as good as the lanolin in Mink Oil -- and maybe VO5 (I've never tried that one)

If that doesn't do it, you may need to find a special lube for deep drawing copper and brass. I can't remember where I've seen some before.

jsizemore
09-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Mr G, What load are you shooting? bullet, powder, and COAL. Have you chronographed this load? When you worked up a load, did you have difficulty sizing cases at your starting load?
When I first had my 6br chambered, I opted for a shorter throat. When I shot 105/107's, I never got to full velocities because of the short throat. Too much powder and bullet in too small a space.
I rechambered to the longer throat and velocities got to where they needed to be with zero case head expansion.
Maybe this can be of some help.

uncle joe
09-16-2010, 10:30 PM
you might try a carbide sizing die, I use one for 45 acp and works great, even without lube.

buck1
09-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I dont guess the decapping rod could be hitting inside the case??

EOD3
09-17-2010, 01:52 AM
You say a fired cartridge case wont chamber? I would think a once fired case should be small enough to chamber. Is it possible the cases aren't round after they're fired?

gcollins
09-17-2010, 11:16 AM
If I hadn't done it my self I wouldn't believe it, my Old Press doesn't have progessive leverage so I took it over to one of my Dillons and put the right shell plate on it and Bingo i can size them just fine.
I want to thank each and every one of you all for the Help and the Advice, it is nice to have a place to come and ask questions and get good answers!!
Thank You All!!!!!
G

Firebricker
09-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Just glad to hear your back in business ! FB

noylj
09-18-2010, 12:26 AM
I would contact the die company and see what they suggest. I have never had any where near that much trouble sizing a case, and I have a bad back.
I would expect that Lee could make a carbide ring for you. They seem more than willing to do custom work for a reasonable amount of money.
I wouldn't use a longer handle, great way to break something and injure yourself.
I have heard of others that have drilled a hole in tool steel, chamfered it, and pushed cases through, but I would simply screw the whole thing up.

EDG
09-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Just because your Herter's press is a big clunker does not mean the linkage has a lot of mechanical advantage..
If the weight of your upper body will not size your brass there is something wrong.
Did you completely clean the preservative out of the die before using it?
If nothing esle send me your stuff and I will size the cases in my RCBS A4.

gcollins
09-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks to all that helped. This is a bad sign, shows how old I am getting!! I have evrything under control, now that I change the linkage they size like butter.
Thanks Again.
G

Kevin Rohrer
09-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Well, the WSSM cases are .550 at the base, not .500. If you could find a carbide die for the
50AE it might work; but, I can't find one.

CH/4D will make one for you.

www.CH4D.com

Char-Gar
09-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I just don't know what the problem can be. If you would mail me your sizing die, shell holder and cases, I will size them for you and find why you have so much problems. I wouldn't like to guess via the internet. I have an RCBS A2 cast steel press and it will do the job. Send me a PM if you would like to take up this offer. I will return you stuff to you.

hiram
09-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I had a similar problem with a Wells press which was like a Herters. I ran out of power/leverage before the bottom of the stroke. I won't say the fix is easy, but it works. If you have a good ability to work with some simple tools, your set. Here's the fix:

Take the link out of the press that connects the arm to the ram. Trace a new link on flatstock of the proper thickness, except the new link you make will be perhaps 1/4 -- 3/8" shorter. Install the new link and you are set. The shorter link allows more arm travel to the bottom of the stroke where greater leverage/power is generated.