PDA

View Full Version : Well I have been sit straight.

Freightman
09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Went to Wally World to get a set of hearing protectors as I lost mine somewhere. I walked by the ammo shelf and noticed 30/06 ammo was $36 a box, made a comment to the effect of "wow". There was a man standing there waiting on help and he said " it is high but if you are going hunting you can't use reloads"! Well I ask WHY? He said "you can not get them powerful enough to kill a deer"! I just walked off couldn't think of a thing to say was to dumb founded.

Changeling
09-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I have a Speer reloading manual that has an interview with a revolver expert, he recommends that cast bullets NOT be used for hunting, LOL.

Hickory
09-15-2010, 01:48 PM
The first deer I ever killed with a handgun was with a S&W 586 during the first year it was legal to use a handgun here in Ohio.
The deer I killed was with the wrong ammo.
During that year I'd been shooting a lot of compitition at the local range, and when I went out hunting I put about 15 rounds in my hunting coat. The same hunting coat I was wearing to practice in, in the back yard.
When I loaded the gun I must of got a round that was loaded with 2.7 grs of bullseye with a Lyman 358156 bullet.
When the 8 point buck showed up a few hours later, I took the shot and broke down his both shoulders at about 35 yrds. he went down and never found his feet [hooves]
Shot placement is everything!

Changeling
09-15-2010, 01:56 PM
The first deer I ever killed with a handgun was with a S&W 586 during the first year it was legal to use a handgun here in Ohio.
The deer I killed was with the wrong ammo.
During that year I'd been shooting a lot of compitition at the local range, and when I went out hunting I put about 15 rounds in my hunting coat. The same hunting coat I was wearing to practice in, in the back yard.
When I loaded the gun I must of got a round that was loaded with 2.7 grs of bullseye with a Lyman 358156 bullet.
When the 8 point buck showed up a few hours later, I took the shot and broke down his both shoulders at about 35 yrds. he went down and never found his feet [hooves]
Shot placement is everything!

Not quite everything, next comes the "HJB", (Hickory Jalapeņo Butter) and a big venison roast, ;-). How soon we forget[smilie=1:.

Storydude
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Went to Wally World to get a set of hearing protectors as I lost mine somewhere. I walked by the ammo shelf and noticed 30/06 ammo was $36 a box, made a comment to the effect of "wow". There was a man standing there waiting on help and he said " it is high but if you are going hunting you can't use reloads"! Well I ask WHY? He said "you can not get them powerful enough to kill a deer"! I just walked off couldn't think of a thing to say was to dumb founded.

I'd ask him to volunteer to catch a few @ 100 yds. then.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't go to wally world!

I bet he wouldn't even want to catch one from a 38 special loaded with lead boolits . . . !

What did people kill deer with 200 hundred years ago? Certainly not wally world store bough jacket ammo!

Old Goat Keeper
09-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I LOVE them what says you can't use reloads or cast boolets for hunting. Leaves more lead and WW for me to use! lol

Tom

Doc_Stihl
09-15-2010, 03:41 PM
LOL
I wish I could get my 45-70 NEF powerful enough to kill a big russian boar with cast....

Oh wait....I think I did last year....and come to think of it....didn't 30 Million Bison fall to the same thing.....

09-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Freightman,
Even if you had come up with a meaningful and factual retort, chances are the bozo would still prefer to remain in his blissful ignorance.

cajun shooter
09-15-2010, 03:53 PM
I would have said I use my 30-06 to shoot butterflies. We have a gun club that has a 458 Magnum shoot every sunday where we shoot flies offhand, would you be interested in attending?

btroj
09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Bet there are bunch of game animals out there that would have liked to have that knowledge- before they died.

geargnasher
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
"Life's too short to drink cheap booze or argue with stupid people."

I don't know who's credited with saying that, but it's good advice.

:drinks:

Gear

lwknight
09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
This is totally off topic but I just gotta tell this one.

I was at a convenience store on my Honda GL1800 when a goofy looking old guy and his equally goofy looking grown son stopped and were gawking at my motorcycle.
He noticed the 140 mph on the speedometer and said , " Just imagine , if you were going that fast and hit so much as a twig in the road you would just explode".
For those who don't know , the GL1800 is a 800 pound bike and I have actually hit and killed a medium dog with a smaller bike . Of course it was unavoidable and I did not even wreck out. I was not going 140 mph either.

A little more on the topic.
One of my sons friends saw some nickel plated ammo that I had and said " Wow! Those are the high powered cop bullets" I just answered " Oh really? I'm glad to know that. I would hate to get caught with them ".

DIRT Farmer
09-15-2010, 08:52 PM
It is fun to ask for black powder and try to get them to open a can of pryodex to see if it is black.

jcwit
09-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Nothing like being childish.

EMC45
09-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Some people are just dumb! I knew a guy years back and he said that his Remington 700 would only shoot Remington ammo. No other brands....He also said his .357 pistol would only shoot the Stainless ammo (Nickled cases) good, but nothing else.

johniv
09-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Some people are just dumb! I knew a guy years back and he said that his Remington 700 would only shoot Remington ammo. No other brands....He also said his .357 pistol would only shoot the Stainless ammo (Nickled cases) good, but nothing else.

Funny you should mention that, when working in a repair shop I had acustomer send his pistol in for work, and in a phone conversation with him he asked" My barrel is white (chrome plated) must I use white bullets?" I did not tell him that color matching of gun to projectile was a little understood aspect of shooting. Oh and his repair request was to please center his rear sight on the slide. When I asked if there was a POI problem he said ,no and he just wanted the sight centered. English was not his first language.
John

44man
09-16-2010, 09:01 AM
I can't say anything at all, too busy rolling with laughter from all of you guys! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Hardcast416taylor
09-16-2010, 11:44 AM
I believe you gave an answer to the counter persons remark. That being "I went to Wally World". A similar idiot at our local Wally World a few years back did enough things wrong with my wanting to buy a Model 70 they had in a flyer that the store manager sold me an $800 model, to compensate my not getting the $299 model I wanted, for the lower price. I just love it when the clerk is from home appliances filling in in sporting goods and tries to answer a question about firearms or fishing gear.Robert

Dframe
09-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I had a miserable experiance at wally world a few years back while buying an 1100 remington. I vowed I would never darken their doors again. Employees with ZERO knowledge of sporting goods are the norm there.

azcruiser
09-17-2010, 01:09 AM
I have a fur fish and game mag from like the 1920 touting the NEW COLT 1911 38 SUPER THE PERFECT DEER CARTRIDGE .

44man
09-17-2010, 08:26 AM
A friend was going to come out today to shoot but didn't have time to load anything. He went to buy a box of factory loads---$57 for .357's! [smilie=p:

Boz330
09-17-2010, 08:42 AM
I can't remember killing a deer with anything but hand loads. Including a few, where they were hand loaded from the front in the field. In fact I can't remember the last deer that wasn't killed with a cast boolit.

Bob

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
I can't remember killing a deer with anything but hand loads. Including a few, where they were hand loaded from the front in the field. In fact I can't remember the last deer that wasn't killed with a cast boolit.

Bob
OH, but that can't be! That man at Wally World said . . . :bigsmyl2:

[smilie=s:

Three44s
09-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Maybe we need a "sticky" named:

"I Heard It Through Wally World"

Just kidding

Three 44s

Rockydog
09-18-2010, 10:41 AM
That could be followed with a sticky titled "I heard at Gander Mountain" I was in there the other day and a woman was looking for a shotgun for herself. Obviously, she was ready to buy on the spot as she was asking questions about taking it home today etc. but the salesman confused here with so many choices and personal biases, most of it misinformation, that she fled the store nearly in tears without buying one. Where do they find some of these guys?

35isit
09-18-2010, 11:12 AM
They work in most every retail type store that sells guns in the country. They read a few articles in magazines and shoot a gun a few times and they are experts on everything. Most of the old gun shops are ok, but you have to watch some of them too. I wanted to look at a shotgun once at Dicks Sporting Goods, they refused to show me it was unloaded! I turned and walked away.

home in oz
09-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Employees with zero knowledge seem to be a part of the hiring process at your local ChiniaMart....

Storydude
09-18-2010, 11:45 AM
They work in most every retail type store that sells guns in the country. They read a few articles in magazines and shoot a gun a few times and they are experts on everything. Most of the old gun shops are ok, but you have to watch some of them too. I wanted to look at a shotgun once at Dicks Sporting Goods, they refused to show me it was unloaded! I turned and walked away.

Yep. I watched a guy fight with getting an AR's bolt back forward after I locked it with the bolt release.

Guess slapping the bolt release or pulling the charging handle was too much for him. this was the same guy that said "the SKS is more reliable than an AK all day long." and my Favorite...." 3" mag slugs will go thorugh both sides of a BP vest @ 100 yards."

I doubt most could even HIT a vest at 100 yards with slugs without 10 rounds of sight in.

kywoodwrkr
09-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Went to Wally World ... I just walked off couldn't think of a thing to say was to dumb founded.
As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid".

GP100man
09-23-2010, 10:55 PM
My first Handgun deer was with Grandpa`s model 10 S&W , I remember the ammo was a copper washed Remington HI-SPEED ROUND NOSED boolit .

This is a fond & vivid memory to this day !!!!!

The deer never knew what hit em , good for me he did`nt know I was only supposed to use jacketed ammo !!! Wal-Mart was,nt then !!!!K-mart was still fresh though !!!

1Shirt
09-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Well, a positive for Wally World. Was in one in Lamar, Co. early this week, and was told that they are going to again carrying firearms. Seems that somebodly in upper management realized that they were loosing business.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Gee_Wizz01
09-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Sometimes these brilliant people work to your advantage. Several years ago Dicks had 870's on sale for $239.00 plus there was a $30.00 mail in rebate, so I drove over to buy one. When I got there they were out of stock and I received a rain check. When the shotgun finally came in the young man that brought the gun out to me was not authorized to ring up the shotgun, although he did the transfer paperwork and made the phone call. A female "manager" came over to ring up the sale. First she rang it up at the full price, when I questioned her and showed her the price on the Rain Check and a copy of the ad, she became confused and then rung the price up at the after rebate price. The young man working in the firearms dept showed her the ad and told her she rang it up wrong again, and that the rebate was a mail in. The manager became angry and told the young man that she KNEW what she was doing. When she was finished she told the young man to walk the gun to the front door with me. We both walked to the front door silently, he was chuckling most of the way. When we got to the front door he handed me the gun and a mail in rebate coupon. He said management can't figure out why the sales and inventory balances are always screwed up. I laughed and went home with a shotgun at an even better deal. About a month later I got my $30 mail in rebate.